Organic Gardening

Options

Replies

• Sweet13_Princess
    Sweet13_Princess Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    Marvincolon – I sympathize with your wildlife infestation. We don’t have deer, but we do have bugs that eat the fruit off of our fruit trees and rabbits galore. I plan on using some old chicken wire we have in the shed as a perimeter barrier around the garden bed. You could always add a mesh cover on top in order to save your veggies from the deer. The best thing, is the materials will be reusable next year! I still have to check into an organic way to deal with the bugs in the fruit trees, though.

mangozulu – What zone are you in? I’m in Zone 5/6, so I was thinking that CT would be somewhat similar. As you’ve listedin your post, I think I’m going to start off with the easiest, most used veggies: corn, tomatos, spinach, lettuce, onions, bell peppers, and hot peppers. If I’m successful, I’ll try more next year. I’ll have to check the gardening book out that you recommended. This is going to be a challenge for me, especially since I haven’t gardened traditionally, let alone organically.

Shannon
  • JPDad
    JPDad Posts: 147
    Options
    Just came across an article last week stating that the USDA has revised the zone maps to take into account warmer weather. Here is the new zone map.

http://planthardiness.ars.usda.gov/PHZMWeb/

Background article
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/feedarticle/10062120
  • Sweet13_Princess
    Options
    catfish9 – I also have cats, but we have one room in our house where the cats aren’t allowed: the upstairs bedroom, where our fitness equipment is located. I figured I’d use that room’s window seat to start my plants. It will get morning sun, if nothing else and it’s usually the warmest room in the house. Your soil advice made me ponder something. Isn’t it true that some plants like different soil? Some like it wetter, some dryer, some more acidic than others? So, if you’re doing a basic plot garden, how do you address all of this variety?

Marvincolon – You probably have a smiliar climate zone than I do: Zone 5/Zone 6? Most people in central PA plant after Memorial Day because it’s less likely we’ll get frost then. If you’re starting from seed, you should purchase the seeds and seed starter now. As early as next month, peppers should be started if you’re going the seed route. I used this seed starting chart to calculate my planting periods:
    http://organicgardening.com/learn-and-grow/seed-starting-chart

sarvissa – I’ll have to check about the diatamacious (sp?) earth suggestion. I really don’t want to spray the fruit trees. It defeats the purpose of growing ones own food. I’m a little concerned that it’s glass based though. Doesn’t it make it dangerous to use, like inhaling fiberglass?

Shannon
  • _LilPowerHouse
    _LilPowerHouse Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    @ Sweet13, thanks for the link and the info.. I will use the chart for sure..
  • sarvissa
    sarvissa Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I organized all my seed packets by how long from planting to harvest. I marked a spot on a calendar of when I'd like everything to start ripening, and count backwards from there. In regards to what I'm planting this year, onions take the longest (115 days), so I planted those a week ago. Next are habaneros, I planted those today. I would like everything to start ripening in mid to late July. I use seedling trays which I start indoors, then in mid March I'll move those out to my greenhouse until they are ready for planting sometime in April.
  • Sweet13_Princess
    Options
    Anyone know if there's a difference between potting soil and seed starter mix? I told my husband to get the second one, but he bought a big bag of the first one. Can I still use potting soil to start my seeds?

Shannon
  • sarvissa
    sarvissa Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Sweet13, as long as the fruit is rinsed, it's fine. It's a very, very fine powder (my husband and I joked that it looked like a bag of cocaine lol) so even if a speck was missed, it's not going to hurt a human.
  • AndiJ2011
    AndiJ2011 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Might gross you out, put I use my son's urine.

When I was single I used my own urine. It is a natural fertilizer as well as bug repellent. My mom in law from Korea taught me this. It is common over there.

If I feed someone my fruits/veggies I do let them know. I don't think it's unsafe, if you are healthy. Google it.
  • mrsdizzyd84
    mrsdizzyd84 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    I have raised an organic squarefoot garden from seed. It can be difficult, but it is entirely doable. I am also a Maser Gardner with my local extension office. I'd be happy to help in anyway I can.
  • kd_mazur
    kd_mazur Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    I want to start my garden from seeds also.. Im in North east Ohio, I know that I should start them Indoors but when should I start them. I was thinking April? any suggestions?

I am in South east Michigan. Check the back of your seed packets. There you will find information about how long the seeds will take to mature. I decide from there how early to start inside...if I want pumpkins for Halloween and they take 75 days to mature I know they need to be in the ground outside by August...so I start them a few weeks before inside.
  • 2fit4fat
    2fit4fat Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    Its reallyhard helping until you get started. I do my own form of sfg and lovr it! J have started some seeds...will start a few more soon and maybe buy 1 or 2 starts from anursery ultimately. Some people buy hybrid seeds thst are more resillient to bugs snd westher already. Good luck sfg is a good starting point:-)
  • Sweet13_Princess
    Options
    My husband and I went to Lowe's on Thursday and finished buying all of our seeds. We're planting hot peppers, bell peppers, a variety of tomatoes, bulb onions, corn, spinach, and lettuce. I wanted to keep the crop variety small, since it's my first try, in order to see what worked for me and what didn't. I'd like to expand to other produce next year, though. We ended up buying seed starter, since I wasn't sure basic potting soil would be good enough if starting from seeds. My mom is donating some of her gardening tools, since she doesn't do it anymore. I just have to figure out trays to put the seedlings in so that water doesn't leak out all over my window seat.

Although I plan on gardening this harvest organically, I noticed that there are organic seeds out now. We had already purchased regular seeds, so I guess we'll have to wait until next year to try those.

I'm excited to get under way, but I have to wait until next month to start the seedlings, since we live in the northeast.

Shannon
  • JeninBelgium
    JeninBelgium Posts: 804 Member
    Options
    We'd starter is a bit "fluffier" with materials for draining and water absorbtion - I made the same mistake one year and while I think that seed starter Is better- you should be ok
    http://www.ngofamilyfarm.com/2012/01/make-your-own-seed-starting-mix.html?m=1
  • Sweet13_Princess
    Options
    I'm starting a three types of seeds this weekend! I can't wait :-D!! Since my mother gave up gardening, she's bringing down a lot of her tools and trays for me to use.

On a totally different side note, does anyone else live out in the country and deal with chicken farm stench? We've been smelling it for a week now and it's been holding us hostage in the house. Isn't there anything that can be done about this? I never remember it dwelling this long in years past....

Shannon
  • Sweet13_Princess
    Options
    Planted some spinach, corn, and hot pepper seeds today for our organic garden. Cross your fingers that they actually sprout!

Shannon
  • Sweet13_Princess
    Options
    Yay! My seeds have begun to sprout! Everything has been organically done so far and my hubby is digging up the yard to prepare the garden area as we speak.

No sign of my pepper plants, but I vaguely recall something about them being difficult to start from seedlings.... as they don't like to be disturbed at all.

Question: I accidentally planted about 15 corn plants a bit early. Their roots are already sprouting from the base of my seed pods. It's still too chilly to sit them outside. Should I transplant them into larger pots or will I end up doing more harm than good? I don't want to end up losing them, as they look pretty hardy right now.

Shannon
  • Sweet13_Princess
    Options
    It has become uncharacteristically warm the last few weeks and my seeds are growing like crazy. I live in Zone 5/6 in Central PA. Can I plat any of the larger plants out or do I still stand the chance of there being frost? Anyone else living in this region and has the some problem?

Shannon
  • jenniferlynn2477
    jenniferlynn2477 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    This will be my 3rd year putting my garden out. I tried starting from seeds the last 2 years and I must admit while they started okay, it did not last in the garden. They either got drowned out or they just didn't take hold. This year I'm going to by them already started from our local hardware store. I don't use any chemicals, but we have used the Miracle Grow mix and put out many large bags in our garden for the last two years. We've always had a very good harvest from it. If you're doing seeds be on top of it because it takes a lot of work. I hope you have better luck than me.
  • beckys19
    beckys19 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I can't wait to start our garden! Starting from seed, make sure you google how to start from seed the plants you are planting. I have started from seed before and only found out recently that when you start tomatoes from seed you need to replant them a couple times, and actually bury them up to their first set of leaves for best results. :embarassed:

I plan on making square foot gardens filled with a modified "lasagna gardening" mix - heavier on the soils since we will be building this spring.

Also, look into companion planting, you will find out what plants help each other grow and what plants to avoid planting near each other!
  • beckys19
    beckys19 Posts: 119 Member
    Options

Also, I have a pear and peach fruit tree. The pears get gritty, tough, almost bug-bite like areas on them. My peach tree produces a few peaches, but the bugs eat them before they ripen. What do you do to protect them, so that you get a decent harvest, without using harsh chemicals?

Shannon

Check your local garden center to see if they have people that specialize in identifying insects/disease in fruit trees. Usually you can bring in leaves/fruits from the tree and they can tell what is wrong. Once they identify the specific problems, you can research organic solutions.

I've done a quick google for companion planting for your trees-

from http://www.life123.com/home-garden/trees-shrubs/fruit-trees/companion-plants.shtml

Peach Trees
    Basil planted at the base of your peach tree will help deter fruit flies. The strong scent of garlic and onions planted near your tree will keep other pests away. Tansy is great for deterring pests, but use with caution if you have livestock nearby, as it is toxic to animals if eaten. Other good companions for your peach tree are asparagus, grape, onion, southernwood and strawberry.

Pear and Cherry Trees
    Many of the plants that are beneficial to apple and peach trees are also helpful for pear and cherry trees as well: garlic, onion, tansy and nasturtium will keep those pests at bay. Pear tree also do well planted with currant.

also check out http://www.gardenguides.com/103421-companion-planting-pear-trees.html
    http://www.gardenguides.com/107688-companion-planting-peach-trees.html