Organic Gardening

Options

Replies

• sarvissa
    sarvissa Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Peppers take a long time to sprout and to harvest. I've grown several varieties from seed every year and not had a problem. I currently have my onions, habaneros, and tomatoes started and sitting in my greenhouse. I am planting jalapenos and .... something else (don't have my calendar in front of me) this week.

Might I suggest some squash, such as zucchini or yellow? Even cucumbers. They are really easy to grow and produce a lot! They are pretty fast growers too, doesn't take too long from planting the seed to harvest.
  • Sweet13_Princess
    Sweet13_Princess Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    beckys19 - Great ideas for the fruit trees. I'll definately be planting some of your suggestions around the base to keep the pests away. I was excited to see the leaves getting ready to bud on the peach trees already. It's getting warm early this year.... kind of freaks me out, though.

sarvissa - I probably will branch out and plant other types of seeds. For now, I'm just trying to keep it to basics. My whole window seat is full of seed starters, so since the weather has been so warm, I'm hoping to move some of the larger plants outside, with plastic covers at night time.

Shannon
  • NikMosch
    NikMosch Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    LOVE this thread! Can't wait to learn what is best for an organic garden, as this will be my first go at one as well!
  • llamalland
    llamalland Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Contact your local county extension office (phone number should be in the county offices listing section in your phone book, or look it up online). They, or a Master Gardener (also available thru the extension office), will be able to help you with your fruit tree issues and give you great beginner tips for your gardening adventure!

Organic or not, homegrown is best! I spent my childhood having most meals where everything on the table except for the spices, flour for biscuits/bread and /or pie crust, came from our own garden and animals!

(some seeds benefit from soaking, others do not. Clarify with your county contact for specifics)
  • sarvissa
    sarvissa Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    We also grow many of our own spices, including basil, oregano, cilantro, thyme, dill and marjoram. We've tried rosemary a few times, but had no success at it.
  • usedasbrandnew
    usedasbrandnew Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    Ok, I didn't read the whole thread, sorry if I'm repeating.

I start my seeds on a plate in between layers of moist paper towels. This year however I found a local organic farm/co-op and bought seedlings, non-GMO :). They make their own organic "super-poo" compost and sell other organic soils. I mixed three kinds together at their recommendation. There are all kinds of cool organic fertilizers, I like the fishy/seaweed combos, worm castings, and bat guano. I use neem oil for pests. :) They have it at any garden supply or lowe's like store. I am trying container gardening for the first time this year, makes it really easy to control the soil. I love it. I've got peppers and tomatoes.
  • Sweet13_Princess
    Options
    Great ideas, everyone! This thread has become a helpful resource to me.

The weather here in PA has been in the 60-70s the last week and a half. My magnolia tree and forsythia bushes are already blooming. I know it's risky to plat out this early, but the corn that I started (it was an oops... shouldn't be done this early, oh well!) really needs to be transplanted, so I think I might go ahead and do that this weekend before they become root bound in the pots. I might cover it with a light, 4 mil clear plastic to keep the birds from pulling the seedlings out... I've heard bluejays can do that. Plus, if it does frost it might help protect the plants a bit more.

My husband has decided to hand dig our 15X15 foot garden. It's taking FOREVER, but he likes the exercise. I'd much rather rent a cultivator.:-P I think we have enough cleared for the corn, though.

Anyone else taking advantage of the early spring?

Shannon
  • Sweet13_Princess
    Options
    Kind of feel like I'm talking to myself in here sometimes.*LOL* But if it gets more people to join our little thread.....

So, I was getting ready to transplant my corn outside this weekend because the weather has been so mild. In fact, it's supposed to be 80 today. The last few days, I've set my corn plants outside, in a sheltered area to harden them up. When I came home yesterday, over half of them were wilted. The soil feels moist, but not over watered. What am I doing wrong? I'm afraid I'm going to lose them... GR!

Shannon
  • Sweet13_Princess
    Options
    Please feel free to add your own comments here. I feel like I'm running a blog, instead of a thread!:-P

So, my corn seedlings were basically decimated by the cold weather this week. I was starting to harden them off when winter returned with a fierceness that knocked all of the blooms off my magnolia tree and azealia (sp?) bushes. I'm trying to salvage the one or two stalks that remain by babying them, but I'm losing hope. I lose a few of my spinach and some never popped up, but the peppers are doing fantastic!

My mother-in-law got us an awesome gift basket with herb seeds and bulbs. I've never planted bulbs before either, so I'm wondering if I live in Zone 5/6, when should I plant onion bulbs and is there any sort of method/technique I should be using? I'm assuming these get planted right out in the garden.

Advice is appreciated!
    Shannon
  • Sweet13_Princess
    Options
    I planted my red, yellow, and white onion sets as well as a few garlic bulbs this weekend. I fenced the area off to keep the rabbits out. Anything else I need to worry about? I might fertilize next weekend. I have the fish fertilizer, which I heard won't harm the plants.

On the other hand, I'm having problems getting my spinach to take off. I get the sprouts with a few leaves, then it wilts. I have it in the seed starter containers, so I know the water doesn't evaporate super-quickly and I always make sure the soil is at least moist. Any clues?

Shannon
  • shorty313
    shorty313 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Square foot gardening here too. I didn't read the whole thread, but I recommend Mel Bartholomew's Square Foot Gardening. I start most things from seeds indoors (NJ) on growing mats, them move them outside in May. We have roughly 84 sq ft now. The only things we buy as plants are tomatoes, peppers, and some herbs. We are all organic too, and haven't really had any pest problems. We have an asparagus bed, and we grow lettuces, several squashes, radish, garlic, carrots, broccoli, cabbage, snap peas, string beans, strawberries, melons. I'm sure I'm forgetting something.

Good luck, I find it super relaxing and rewarding.
  • Sweet13_Princess
    Options
    I have about a 3X8 area gardened now. I don't think it will end up as large as I had anticipated because I've had some setbacks. I'm disappoined I haven't had success with spinach seeds. I'm hoping I can just buy the plants somewhere. I ended up doing a mixture of organic onions, garlic, lettuce, tomatos, a hot & green peppers with regular, nonorganic tomatos and lettuce. My two biggies are the lettuce and tomatos because I love salads so much. I hoping if the spinach fails, at least I'll have something!*LOL* I've been using fish fertilizer on them, that way the plants don't get burned.

Shannon
  • yubafarm
    yubafarm Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I've been gardening a looong time and still consider myself a novice. My advice is to find people in your area who do organic gardening. There are many online groups. Climate plays a HUGE role in what types of plants work best in your area, when to plant them, and how to care for them. Totally different pest issues, too.

Maybe you can find a good book on organic gardening specifically focused on your climate. I live in a microclimate near the coast, so very mild temperatures year round - a generic book on gardening would do nothing for me! It barely gets hot enough here to grow many varieties of tomatoes! But, I buy my seeds & starts from locals who know what varieties work best.

This website is not specific to any area, but you can find people on there in your area and it's really a great site (go to the forum):
    http://www.theeasygarden.com
  • Sweet13_Princess
    Options
    Well, I did well with onion and garlic sets and my directly sewn lettuce is taking off finally. I'm waiting to see more growth on the hot pepper and bell peppers. However, the organic tomatos and spinach were a total bust. They wilted before I could get them transplanted in the ground.

How is everyone else's organic garden going? I bit the bullet and bought additional tomato, pepper, and lettuce since mine seem pretty slow in establishing themselves. They probably weren't organically grown, but I hope to use organic methods with the plants from here on out.

Shannon
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    My garden is coming along! I've got three tomato varieties going, Early Girl, Juliet and Sweet 100 - all three are doing well, and the first two have tomatoes growing. The Sweet 100 got planted a couple weeks behind the other two, so it has blossoms, but no tomatoes just yet.

Red & orange bell peppers planted, a Fresno chili and a jalapeno. Some are showing small peppers and/or blossoms.

Green beans (from seed) are up and growing fast, almost to trellis level so they will be climbing soon.

Green (given a start from my aunt) & golden (planted from seed) zucchini both growing well, no blossoms yet. Crenshaw & watermelons coming along well, both planted from seed.

Cukes and eggplant (both from seed) are both slow growing, but hopefully will pick up soon - we've had a strange spring with weather temps going back and forth from unseasonably cool to way too hot several times over!

Rhubarb is going slow - not sure why, could be the variety. This is my second season with it, so we'll see how it goes.

I still have room to plant more, so may try some lettuce since we aren't into the full blown heat of summer yet - I may get a crop before it gets too hot.
  • amyllu
    amyllu Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    My garden is coming along! I've got three tomato varieties going, Early Girl, Juliet and Sweet 100 - all three are doing well, and the first two have tomatoes growing. The Sweet 100 got planted a couple weeks behind the other two, so it has blossoms, but no tomatoes just yet.

Red & orange bell peppers planted, a Fresno chili and a jalapeno. Some are showing small peppers and/or blossoms.

Green beans (from seed) are up and growing fast, almost to trellis level so they will be climbing soon.

Green (given a start from my aunt) & golden (planted from seed) zucchini both growing well, no blossoms yet. Crenshaw & watermelons coming along well, both planted from seed.

Cukes and eggplant (both from seed) are both slow growing, but hopefully will pick up soon - we've had a strange spring with weather temps going back and forth from unseasonably cool to way too hot several times over!

Rhubarb is going slow - not sure why, could be the variety. This is my second season with it, so we'll see how it goes.

I still have room to plant more, so may try some lettuce since we aren't into the full blown heat of summer yet - I may get a crop before it gets too hot.

Well done you! Sounds great.
    Don't forget to take the tops off the beans when they have reached the trellis as they will then send out more shoots at the bottom and be less top heavy as well.
    Rhubarb is a steady grower and takes a little time to get established properly. Once it's going well you will have to watch out for honey fungus and any flowers that start to appear just cut them off. Also pile compost on top of them during the winter period.
    Makes me very envious...

p.s. Even long time and "proffesional" gardeners have their "failures"! That's the way with mother nature...so don't get downhearted when things don't go how you thought they should.
  • Cgirlish
    Cgirlish Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    :) sounds great, I m working on my garden this week,

Connie
  • miniberger
    miniberger Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I'm in NH- coming into prime eating from the garden time. I'm by no means an expert, but I have 2 large gardens and from about june through December, our vegetables come almost exclusively from our gardens. Today, we're having a salad from the garden for lunch and yesterday I made grilled cheese with greens in the sandwich. I'm also looking for gardening friends because this time of year, a lot of my calorie expenditure is spent in the garden.
  • Spokez70
    Spokez70 Posts: 548 Member
    Options
    Interesting thread- I am growing some herbs, various peppers and a couple tomato plants this year in pots on my back porch. Mine looks good so far but still a work in progress- going from seeds seems to take forever.
  • UrbanRunner81
    UrbanRunner81 Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    I am doing a garden this year. I made beds out of concrete blocks

here is one of them when we first finished it.
    6993221777_8363f58afc.jpg

I also made a bed using brick I found in my back yard. The previous owners had a bunch in the back of our yard.

I planted snappeas, broccoli and kale in early spring. Now I have cucumbers, zucchini, pumpkins, acorn squash, butternut squash tomatoes, peppers, some herbs, and honeydew.

In containers on my porch I have lettuce and carrots. I am going to do more carrots throughout the summer.

I am trying to do this as organic as possible.