Are there any fitness dvds that are suitable for kids???????

Options
hiya just wanted to know whether there are any exercise workouts that children can do, my 9 yr old needs a bit of a workout but i dont know whats suitable for her age, I also have a 4yr old and 6yr old who want to exercise with me to, all suggestions welcome...........

Replies

• ofccat
    ofccat Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    Have you checked out Shaun T's Fit Kids Club or Tony and the Kids? Both are from beachbody. I would link here but not sure if it is allowed so I will send you a message with it if you are interested.
  • Jenene88
    Jenene88 Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    Shawn t fit for kids
  • ishallnotwant
    ishallnotwant Posts: 1,210 Member
    Options
    I guess the 9 year old is a bit too big for it, but my kids loved Elmocize when they were little. We also had some sort of Yoga for Kids video, that did yoga positions along with the alphabet-my kids loved it! Mine also just pretty much loved anything mommy was doing, as long as they could do it with me. lol

If you have a Wii, the Just Dance for Kids games are fun and a great workout you can do with them, plus Wii Sports Resort and Wii Fit. Our family has so much fun playing the Wii games together!
  • micheles234
    micheles234 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    my ymca offers a zumbatonic class for kids. or swimming lessons? I've been playing the wii with my 9 yr old daughter and realized the justdance 3 game told her that her daily goal is to reach 1000 "sweat points" per day! thought that was cool. it makes me sweat too!
  • sun33082
    sun33082 Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    Send her outside to play! Don't give her another reason to be in front of the TV and "making" her exercise can screw up her self esteem and all kinds of other issues. Speaking from experience here.
  • ishallnotwant
    Options
    Send her outside to play! Don't give her another reason to be in front of the TV and "making" her exercise can screw up her self esteem and all kinds of other issues. Speaking from experience here.

Who said anything about "making" their child exercise? Who said they don't go outside and play already? My kids are very active and they still like to workout with me, and they have ever since they were teeny. 2 of them were doing "yoga" moves even before they could walk, and my son was spotting me at the weight bench at the age of 10. I think it's great that OP is sharing a healthy lifestyle with her children and being a good role model for them healthwise.

And FWIW, not all kids sit in front of the tv all the time. Mine hardly ever watch tv, except for the occasional PBS cartoon. We do, however, get together several times per week to play a dancing game or a sports game for fun and to get some more activity in.
  • Lleldiranne
    Lleldiranne Posts: 5,516 Member
    Options
    At 9 and 4, they should be getting their exercise by playing, running, jumprope, baseball, climbing the ladder/going down the slide, swinging, and all those other fun things that kids do. Take them to the park, push them on the swing, play tag or hide-and-seek, or throw a ball. Go on a bike ride or go rollerskating. It'll be good for you and them.

That said, my boys (8 and 10) love trying Jillian Michaels and Billy Blanks with me when I do it. But it's more a thing of doing stuff with me/like me, than getting in shape. They play outside a lot. (It also helps that their school has a daily "walk the paws" that each class does, walking around the school on a "track" of painted paws that's ~ 1/2 mile, every day before recess).
  • deninevi
    deninevi Posts: 934 Member
    Options
    Let her play out or just dance around the house with her. Get her boxing gloves and mitts for you and go to town, create a fun obcticle course in the yard for her. Do jump rope, go for a walk. Make it more fun than a workout.
  • ishallnotwant
    Options
    I don't think anyone here is saying that OP's children don't go outside and play and get exercise. Y'all are missing the point. She simply asked for good workout videos to do with her children...why does everyone read stuff into things constantly around here? Seriously.

Kudos to you, OP, for wanting to spend time with your kids while you get healthy.
  • AmyEm3
    AmyEm3 Posts: 784 Member
    Options
    My kids are 8,6, and 3. My 8 and 6 year olds use the Wii Fit more often than I do. They also have Nickelodeon Fit and Just Dance for Kids. My 6yo likes them the best.

They do also play outside a lot too but we live in MN and sometimes it is really bitter cold outside and they need something active inside.
  • plushkitten
    plushkitten Posts: 547 Member
    Options
    Not really an answer to your question, but why not go on family walks? Or ride bikes to the nearest park with one another?
    Family bonding + getting them a workout= all kinds of goodness :D

They may not like it at first, but they'll have fun especially if your really in to it. :)
    Plus, it's teaching them good habits that they won't even recognize as exercise.

But to actually answer your question, if you have Netflix, I know I've seen a couple of kid related workout videos from yoga to cardio.

Good luck!(:
  • clarkmom3
    clarkmom3 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    My kids love Just dance kids 2 for the Wii! They will dance to that all day long. But we do like other DVDS. We also use Yogakids DVD a lot. Its called "silly to Calm". and mine love it. Good luck :happy:
  • shoeloveramber
    shoeloveramber Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    My boys enjoy trying to keep up with me doing Jillian's Shred. They usually stop part way through because they get bored by it.

If you are looking for something active and fun to do the Wii Fit is fun for everyone to do as is Just Dance for Kids.
  • sun33082
    sun33082 Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    The original post said her 9 year old needed a bit of a workout. I was saying instead of her getting in the mindset that a workout is only a workout if it's a workout video, that there are better options that won't make the 9 year old think she is exercising but instead she'll just be having fun and getting a workout at the same time.
  • Miche37
    Options
    My daughter is 9 and LIKES the idea of exercising to a DVD. She plays outside all the time and plays competitive soccer 9 months out of the year. Sometimes, she hops on the treadmill and runs a mile. She likes to do Jillian Michaels DVDs and Jackie Warner DVDs with me. (She can't fully do most of it and kind of modifies everything, but she likes to play along.) She also cannot wait to turn 10 she can can go to the fitness center at the YMCA with me. Some kids like to exercise! We live in MN and are stuck indoors a lot!
  • ishallnotwant
    Options
    I was saying instead of her getting in the mindset that a workout is only a workout if it's a workout video, that there are better options that won't make the 9 year old think she is exercising but instead she'll just be having fun and getting a workout at the same time.

Nobody said she's going to teach her that it is only a workout if it is a video, she was simply asking for some suggestions. I'm sorry that you were made to work out as a child, but that doesn't mean that other families will approach the situation the way it was handled in your case. :flowerforyou:
  • amyannie
    amyannie Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    i used to do barbies workout when i was little!!
  • Keegansmum6
    Keegansmum6 Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    zumba!
  • ka_bateman
    ka_bateman Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    Have you tried the "walk the pounds away" set....I do advanced step, but still enjoy the basics. Very easy for kids and it's a decent workout.
  • CuteAndCurvy83
    CuteAndCurvy83 Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    If you have a wii, they make just dance and Nickelodeon Fit, my niece loves them.