Looking like a gym horror!!!

Options

Replies

• 57rainbows
    57rainbows Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    How red your face gets is partly just genetics - some peoples capillaries are closer to the surface than others. That's why some people turn beet red when they're a little embarrassed, and others could be mortified and no one would know. Same with working out; it's not strictly a question of how fit you are, you just might be more prone to face reddening than others. Nothing to be ashamed of! Trust me, when I see someone else in the gym who is sweaty and red faced and "horrific", I think "Geez, I'm not working hard enough, look at them! They must make serious progress on their goals..." So just know that people aren't looking at you like you're, as you say, a horror show, lol. They are probably impressed!

I'd advocate a sweatband for your head. It'll hold back your bangs plus absorb extra sweat from your forehead. I'm always wiping my face with a hand towel I carry with me, too.
  • nnapieralski
    nnapieralski Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    If your concerned about looking good at the gym......you're doing it wrong. I go to the gym to sweat and kick my *kitten*. That's it.
  • RachVR6
    RachVR6 Posts: 3,688 Member
    Options
    You don't. That's what you look like when you do it right.

^this.
  • megsmom2
    megsmom2 Posts: 2,362 Member
    Options
    If I'm working hard enough to make my tshirt have some damp stains...I'm proud of myself! And then go home and have a shower!
  • MsTanya77
    MsTanya77 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    I look a mess when I go in and a bigger mess when I leave. The last thing I am concerned with is looking cute. I am working on something. LOL
  • Run4UrHealth
    Run4UrHealth Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    My motto is "If you still look good after a work-out you did not work hard enough!" The worse you look the better work-out you got! :)
  • mes1119
    mes1119 Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    I consider my work out a failure if I DON'T look like crap afterwards. If you look pretty when leaving the gym, you didn't work hard enough.

I wear my sweat strained shirt and bright red sweaty face with pride. :)

OH and don't worry about looking bad in the gym. I look AWFUL every time yet I still met my boyfriend of over a year while working out at the Y. He says was initially attracted to my toned legs, work ethic and dedication. Guys love a girl that works hard and can kick their you know what.
  • philOHIO
    philOHIO Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    After a hard workout in the gym today, I looked at myself in the changing room mirror, and was horrified!! I had sweat everywhere, my face for bright red and my fringe (bangs) was plastered to my head. Girls - how do you stay looking at least half decent in the gym whilst working really hard???????

You have got to be kidding!
  • auticus
    auticus Posts: 1,051 Member
    Options
    When I leave the gym my hair is poofed out (I have long curly hair) and plastered to my face. I am soaked and red faced.

That being said, that's what it is supposed to look like. You aren't at the gym to win beauty awards, you are at the gym to workout and that involves sweating, getting red faced, and having a bad hair day.

The gym is a forge to reshape your body and keep it strong, not a beauty salon where you are trying to get others to notice you.
  • MaximalLife
    MaximalLife Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    After a hard workout in the gym today, I looked at myself in the changing room mirror, and was horrified!! I had sweat everywhere, my face for bright red and my fringe (bangs) was plastered to my head. Girls - how do you stay looking at least half decent in the gym whilst working really hard???????
    No, and the difference between you and the barbie dolls out goofing around is that you're reaching fitness goals while they're after something else.:wink:

Keep Punching, and keep looking horrible....:bigsmile:
  • xYumzx
    xYumzx Posts: 953 Member
    Options
    Im Irish I have rosy cheeks which drive me alittle nuts when I drink or work out.. and as for the looking halfway decent... We will never look like those pictures of the "GIRLS WORKING OUT" because they arent they get water spritzed on them to make it look good. I know when I go to the Gym girls look like they just walked off the run way and I honestly think they are there more to look at the guys then they are to work out. on the PLUS side for anyone who is single and feeling like that... ive heard from many MEN that seeing a girl sweat is a biggggg thing ;-) shows how you work
  • paulamarsden
    paulamarsden Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    3 words Nicola.

give. a. *kitten*!

its just increased blood flow... nothing you can do about it!
  • jcstanton
    jcstanton Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    I don't tend to worry about the sweat per se, because sweating is good for you and it's an indicator that you're pushing your body to it's limits. However, I do often wear a ball cap to hide the nasty looking hair, and I have pretty clear skin so I wash my face good and remove all the makeup before going to workout. Sweaty faces always look worse with eyeliner and mascara running everywhere. If you're like me, you're not worried about meeting a cute guy and looking bad. However, you don't want to look like a slob to anybody, guy or girl, either.
  • RunHardBeStrong
    RunHardBeStrong Posts: 33,069 Member
    Options

This! If I still look cute afterwards then I didn't work hard enough!
  • hollyeverhart
    hollyeverhart Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    I think if you look good at the gym your not working hard enough! who care anyways, its the gym, your there working hard to you can be healthy and look good when it matters. I look like crap after working out, sweaty, red faced, whatever color in my hair that month dripping down the shaved side of my head, no make up/etc. Who cares!! when I look hot in a bikini this year or in short shorts then all the ugly days working out will be worth it
  • rammsteinsoldier
    rammsteinsoldier Posts: 1,556 Member
    Options
    If you don't look like a horror you aren't working hard enough. :)
  • kd_mazur
    kd_mazur Posts: 569 Member
    Options

:) Right!
  • tmarie2715
    tmarie2715 Posts: 1,111 Member
    Options
    Twist your bangs back and clip on sides, if headband slides off. Pull hair back into tight pony tail and wear some tinted moisturizer and waterproof mascara! Invest in some good quality workout clothing, like Lululemon or Lucy and you'll look great and burn calories!

Yeah, I get flyaways, so I use bobby pins to clip a section back in the front, and then just a goody rubberband that looks like a rubber washer-- one of the few that will hold all this hair back.

I like this response because she is actually making suggestions that answer your post, rather than arguing or suggesting you are going to the gym for a reason other than to lift / workout.
  • mamamc03
    mamamc03 Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    A towel, wonder bra & booty shorts.

JK!! :laugh: :wink:
  • MMarvelous
    MMarvelous Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    THAT IS BEAUTIFUL! It takes work to become a piece of art. Embrace it! I use a bandanna for my head/hair.