Anyone get exercise induced hives?

Options
124»

Replies

• BigSpoonSA
    BigSpoonSA Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I've been taking two antihistamines to deal with my exercise-indiced hives: cimetidine and desloratadine. Luckily my hives don't itch which is kinda weird.
  • elachkam
    elachkam Posts: 1
    Options
    Hi, I have had this for the past 13 years. Mine only happens when I do cardio that is intense. It can be indoors or outdoors. If I do an intense weight training session, nothing happens. What's odd is that it isn't consistent for me. I can do 30 minutes on the stairmaster and feel like I'm going to die but nothing happens. If I run outside for 3 km, I will have a swollen right eye and huge hives everywhere. Reactine or benadryll makes it go away, but I have gone into anaphylaxis 3 times and I carry an epipen on me all the time. Not sure what to say, but I think an antihistamine daily would help manage the situation until whatever is underlying it can be cured.
  • 135hearmeroar
    135hearmeroar Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    The first time it happened to me I was hysterical I had this itch that was nearly painful but I was running for well over an hour and I worked up a pretty good sweat. I took Benadryl and the second time it wasn't as bad nevertheless it's annoying.
  • Bo0Ho0
    Bo0Ho0 Posts: 10
    Options
    Antihistamines. I get hives from heat, friction, stress - anything that irritates my cells - diagnosed with dermographism ("skin writing") when I was 11/12.
    When I start getting them more often, I take antihistamines daily, and then after a while, I'll cut down and quit completely, until they start acting up again. My body produces too much histamine, and there's (apparently) nothing I can do about it.
  • sassyjae21
    sassyjae21 Posts: 1,217 Member
    Options
    Just adding to this old thread that I also suffer from this nightmare of a condition. Worst thing ever. Glad to know i'm not the only one, although it really sucks. I just try to manage it the best way I know how. I have never taken allergy pills for it, though if some people say it works, I may try that. I also had allergy shots growing up, and I saw someone else did too. I wonder if it made my system go haywire...
  • yusineddy
    yusineddy Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    This happened to me recently and it was really scary. I've been exercising for a while, mainly walking and recently stated jogging. Well about 2 weeks ago, I was done jogging at the park and as I walked towards my car, I started to get really itchy, my eyes and face were getting swollen and broke out all over my torso and legs. The itch was unbearalbe. I took benadryl as soon as I got home but I was wondering what could have caused the allergic reaction since I had not had anything new to eat or any new detergent on my clothes so I was really concerned.