My HRM Is a Lie

Options
13»

Replies

• AlmstHvn
    AlmstHvn Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    I'm just tossing this in - be sure to have your blood pressure checked. If you have high blood pressure and it's not controlled, that impacts your heart rate and calories burned - but it's not a SAFE way to burn calories! Best to get a quick check to be sure.
  • lkarinal
    lkarinal Posts: 107
    Options
    I guess I'm tossing mine too. Yesterday it happened the same thing to me too Strech40/Core20 840 calories and today after doing Fire EZ 55 (for 55 minutes) I only burned 56 calories. I won't that to ruin my date I guess you are constantly training.

Thanks for this post otherwise I would have still believed on my wrist HRM
  • Alachofra15
    Alachofra15 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Help. I think my HRM is giving me false results. It said I burned 1098 calories from Turbo Fire Core (20 Min)+ Turbo Fire Strecth (40 mins)
    That seems to good to be true. I have the New Balance HRM that just goes on your wrist, no chest strip.

Am I wrong, could this be right? (please say its right)

Hi - I know these workouts, I've done TF and yeah this is way too many! For the others these are "recovery" workouts for toning/stretching. Your heart rate won't get much over 65% on these. I'd estimate just about 300 for Stretch 40 and 150 for Core 20

In fact for these you could sub Stretch 40 for the MFP calculation for 40 mins of yoga, because that's basically what it is.
    And Core 20 you could log it as 20 mins of calisthenics
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    I would just like to add that it IS possible to burn 1000 calories in an hour. When I run for 60 minutes, I burn close to 900 calories. My average heart rate is usually in the 170's. I do a lot of speed work and interval training.

Calories burned calculates according to the following factors:

Height
    Weight
    Heart BPM / Average Heart Rate

I used to have people tell me that MY burn was off because THEY did the SAME exercise and burned almost 1/2 the calories *I* burned.

There is a slight difference here, your HRM calculated average HR, but equation uses average % of maximum HRM, which is calculated from your avg. HR. The other variable that you are missing is HRM assume a certain V02Max (maximum oxygen uptake) this is really the key, and is only estimated in HRM's which make them better then other measures but not perfect as the V02Max is just estimated (unless you have an HRM that allows you to input your V02Max, after you have calculated it, hopefully correctly).
  • fitnfancy80
    fitnfancy80 Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    Help. I think my HRM is giving me false results. It said I burned 1098 calories from Turbo Fire Core (20 Min)+ Turbo Fire Strecth (40 mins)
    That seems to good to be true. I have the New Balance HRM that just goes on your wrist, no chest strip.

Am I wrong, could this be right? (please say its right)

Hi - I know these workouts, I've done TF and yeah this is way too many! For the others these are "recovery" workouts for toning/stretching. Your heart rate won't get much over 65% on these. I'd estimate just about 300 for Stretch 40 and 150 for Core 20

In fact for these you could sub Stretch 40 for the MFP calculation for 40 mins of yoga, because that's basically what it is.
    And Core 20 you could log it as 20 mins of calisthenics

Thanks I was wondering how i should log it in MFP till i get my "NEW" HRM
  • NeverGivesUp
    NeverGivesUp Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    my hrm is a fancy one with gps, it is a Ventus but i have read that the polar is good!