Does your partner share your lifestyle choices?

Options
As I increase my interest in diet and fitness the more I notice my boyfriends gut. I've suggested he comes to the gym, thus improving his energy levels. I have never once suggested he is fat, I'm not mean or anything like that!

His diet is what I can only describe as 'beige'. Bread, toast, cheese, peanut butter, potato waffles, crispy chicken etc

I'm starting to worry after watching a program about visseral *sp* fat, surrounding the organs causing a bigger belly but not bigger limbs etc.

Do your partners have a similar attitude or do you go out jogging hand in hand lol.

Just interested to know

Replies

• viclee1
    viclee1 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    my DH used to be super into health and working out (before I met him) sadly he had an accident and although not physically able to do much exercise he still does what he can and is definately interested in it. I consider myself SUPER lucky to have such a supportive spouse, always watches kids so I can exercise, very conscious about healthy cooking/ eating. It's definately made my life easier!!
  • chachita7
    chachita7 Posts: 996 Member
    Options
    My husband works his a*s off at the gym lifting weights - his eating, well it could get a lil cleaner, lol... but over all he and I are on the same page when it comes to healthy living.
  • 30yearssincebikini
    Options
    My husband has always been skinny with great abs, and he doesn't even work for it! He is active around the house, and takes walks for miles every day, but that's it. He does this because if he doesn't, he can't sleep at night. He has a terrible time sleeping. So he walks. He has done this since he was a teen, so it's just a part of life for him. He doesn't care about eating. I know that sounds strange, but I have to make him eat! If I don't, he won't eat til two or three in the afternoon and that will hold him until nine or ten at night. And when he eats, it's something like a sandwich. So i cook for him healthy and he likes what I make, even though it doesn't include carbs. He is lucky. No food cravings, and a natural desire to walk every day!
  • scott091501
    scott091501 Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    To a degree. I do iron distance triathlons and my wife is working on C25K. Food wise we have the same goals though
  • BrandyontheRun
    BrandyontheRun Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    O my good gosh- I wish my spouse was interested in a healthy lifestyle!! His eating habits are terrible and I often find it hard not to snack when he does/eat what he eats. He always says he'll "go to the gym tomorrow" haha, the famous line. He went yesterday and says this week he's serious about it but we'll see. He's one of those people though who could eat everything under the sun and not gain a pound... so I guess that's why it doesn't concern him.... **jerk** lol
  • nutandbutter
    Options
    Yep. We lift together while the kids are in the kid club. It's like we get dates at the gym 3 times a week.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    My husband is totally okay with healthy meals. We are both good cooks so we prepare meals that are balanced and healthy, but also delicious and flavorful. Neither of us eat much candy or desserts so those are rarely in the house.

He is not as into regular exercise as I, though. When the weather allows outdoor exercise he exercises pretty regularly but he hates indoor exercise so not so much in the winter.
  • atlantapiper
    atlantapiper Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    absolutely!
  • Katiemarie4488
    Katiemarie4488 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    I am so so so lucky! My boyfriend and I are on the same page... we both are trying to work out 4-5 days a week and eat as healthy as possible.

Our only challange, is that he works nights, so he would prefer dinner at 9pm... I go to bed by 11 so this is tough on me!
  • joshmiller1998
    Options
    My wife is TOTALLY on board. We actually started together and we have both lost 10 lbs. each!! I just turned 31 and I feel great. I used to coach football and so after spending so much time with practice and meetings, it was so easy to eat fast food and I got the biggest I have ever been. Ever since I stopped doing that, I feel great and so does my wife. I think that doing it together has made it much easier on us, we support each other and encourage each other. I don't get as much time in the gym as I want because I work 2 jobs, I teach at an alternative school and I work in the dairy department at Food City, but since I have started my 2nd job, it's pretty much just like a workout due to all of the milk that I have to stock. It's a blessing in disguise actually. I have totally cut out ALL cokes, sweets, and all fast food that is bad for me.
  • dport7
    dport7 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    My wife and I are on the same page as well She is learning more about workout routines. i am learning more about portion sizes, so we both work off each other.
  • JacksMom12
    JacksMom12 Posts: 1,044 Member
    Options
    My husband eats like crap, doesn't exercise and definitely doesn't need to lose weight. He is 6'5 and weighs like 165 lbs. He tries to be supportive but he really doesn't get it at all.
  • JoceyyySmall
    JoceyyySmall Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I'm not married- but I had to move back in with my parents after graduation and lets just say they are not on the same page as me. So I find it hard to truly stick to it. Especially at night if watching tv with my mom and she grabs cookies or something. Oh how I want it most times I can resist but I wish the temptation wasn't there like when I lived on my own I seldom brought it into my apartment.
  • Lesa_Sass
    Lesa_Sass Posts: 2,213 Member
    Options
    My husband does but I am more strict about what I put into my body than he is. I choose a lot of vegetarian foods, he will eat them if I cook them simply because he does not want to shop for and cook his own food, but if we go out, he will drink a beer and eat meat.

He exercises as much or even more than I do and does prefer healthier foods than plain crap.
  • fatgirlzrule2
    fatgirlzrule2 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I would find it really difficult to have a healthy lifestyle if my husband wasn't as supportive as he is (I would still do it, for me, but it would just be more difficult). He does all the cooking in our house (he's home to do so and I HATE to cook). When I told him I wanted to go completely clean he was totally supportive of me, reads the labels (better than I do!) and said that down the road he would consider going clean, too. He's not as into exercise as me, because of a neck injury with herniated discs, but he does what he can.
  • deborawrrx
    Options
    Luckily my other half has decided to adopt the same healthy lifestyle as me, although he necessarily doesn't need to!
    He used to be the one that would have to push me to go to the gym, now its the other way.
    It's nice to have the support, as I don't think i'd manage if he were still eating the amount of crap we used to eat before.
    Maybe suggest it's something you can do together? We try to be slightly competitive when its comes to the treadmill and bikes, makes it more fun :)
  • cln714
    cln714 Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    As I increase my interest in diet and fitness the more I notice my boyfriends gut. I've suggested he comes to the gym, thus improving his energy levels. I have never once suggested he is fat, I'm not mean or anything like that!

His diet is what I can only describe as 'beige'. Bread, toast, cheese, peanut butter, potato waffles, crispy chicken etc

I'm starting to worry after watching a program about visseral *sp* fat, surrounding the organs causing a bigger belly but not bigger limbs etc.

Do your partners have a similar attitude or do you go out jogging hand in hand lol.

Just interested to know

Sounds like we are in exactly the same boat. I too worry about the visceral fat on my husband. He is pretty thin but is getting a gut. The thing is, he hates his gut but is totally unwilling to change anything. He says he gets enough exercise at work. He does walk around alot at work but I'm sure he doesn't really get his heartrate up.

I don't think there's anything I can do. Changing your lifestyle is a really hard thing to do and you have to really want it. I just hope and pray he wants it one day.
  • PinkEarthMama
    PinkEarthMama Posts: 987 Member
    Options
    Nope!

I think my husband is fond of his gut. He's had it since HS and claims that he has not lost or gained any weight since then.

( No dear.... just any muscle you had has moved into fat, instead. )

He eats like craps, never exercises, days go by without fruits or veggies. I'm hoping that once I'm rocking hot ( and I will be !!! ) that he gets on board. He swears that he'll start going with me in April when his mom retires and we can go together. All that means is that he won't go unless I go.
  • Just_Dot
    Just_Dot Posts: 2,289 Member
    Options
    If he wants to eat, he better be! I do the meal planning and the cooking for the family and or the most part, it's healthy. We don't keep much candy/sweets in the house either, but chips are our downfall, so when he's craving them ,they make it into the house.
  • cekeys
    cekeys Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    Wife and I do not work out together, but do so seperately. I enjoy the gym & she enjoys tap & ballet classes.