Food Rules: How do they apply to your life?

Options
13»

Replies

• poetgurl2005
    Options
    I love this. I think I need to get my dad to buy a cow. He has an extra eight acres, you could grass feed a cow on that right? It would be cheaper and longer in the long run. And who doesn't like fresh beef?

24615602.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods
  • Pandorian
    Pandorian Posts: 2,055 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Depending on the quality of the pasture, and the size of the cattle breed you pick, we ran 2 calf cow pairs on 3 acres, but they were a smaller breed, you wouldn't manage even that with the larger breeds without additional feeding material
  • sandyyy712
    sandyyy712 Posts: 94
    Options
    Wow that was a lot, but it was really helpful/interesting. Thanks!
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    Michael Pollan makes the most sense to me of anyone who researches food. His approach is common sense and easy to follow. The rules are worth reviewing regularly to incorporate them into your daily life.
    Also remember his simple mantra from his book In Defense of Food:

Eat food. Not too much. Mostly plants.

Yup, this is my favourite too.

I think most of his rules make sense, but you can start arguing against them - rolled oats and dry lentils come from the centre aisles of the supermarket but I think he'd approve of them. But, as a set of general guidelines, they are a great start.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    I like Michael Pollan a lot!! He also went to the same college as me.
  • thinnnnnnner
    Options
    I've never heard of this book, but after reading the rules I'd say I live my life with a very similar outlook. I will have to check it out. Thanks for sharing this.