Clean Eating...

Options

Replies

• CALIECAT
    CALIECAT Posts: 12,530 Member
    Options
    Thanks flcaoh ,For starting this thread. I like it.
  • Cindysunshine
    Cindysunshine Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options
    Thanks Marie. I have the basics of clean eating down I think. I would like to know what clean condiments there are. Can you eat ketchup and still be eating clean? What abour bbq sauce? Salad dressings? I eat clean for the most part now I think. But there are some things that I wonder about. Have a great day! :flowerforyou: Cindy :heart:
  • Phoenixflame
    Phoenixflame Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    Well, my go-to salad dressing is a mix of apple cider vinegar, lemon juice, and spices.

For prebottled stuff, a general guideline is to look at the ingredients list. Can you pronounce everything? If all you see is natural ingredients, then it's much cleaner than, say, certain highly-processed condiments. Of course, clean does not necessarily mean low calories, so don't go crazy with some nifty organic dressing you find at the health store. Always always read the nutrition and ingredient labels.

But really, I make my own ketchup and dressings. They taste goood!

By the way, I love clean eating. My only vices are my workout drink (Powerade Zero) and my love of bars and protein shakes. But even then, I go for bars that are "natural" or have very minimal processing, such as Larabars. And my protein powder is pretty natural--it's just flavored whey.

And I know a lot of clean eaters follow a 90/10 or 80/20 ratio. If you adore Starbucks frappacinos, for god sakes, don't be a martyr--just enjoy them on special occasion. But you may find that you lose your tastes for processed stuff. I know I did! Well, ok, I still dream of white chocolate mochas, but I can make my own much healthier, more natural versions of lots of the crap I used to eat. Like, I GREATLY prefer the "oven fried" (aka broiled) steak fries I make for myself now--they are great French fries, and have none of the greasy crap that I ate for so many years.
  • CALIECAT
    Options
    Thanks Marie. I have the basics of clean eating down I think. I would like to know what clean condiments there are. Can you eat ketchup and still be eating clean? What abour bbq sauce? Salad dressings? I eat clean for the most part now I think. But there are some things that I wonder about. Have a great day! :flowerforyou: Cindy :heart:

Cindy---The book said look for little or no sugar added. for the ketchup. And I didn't see anything about BBQ. Sauce but i assumed that that would be the same I used the spray salad dressing. I did look at my low carb ketchup and it only has 1 g of sugar compare to 4 g for regular ketchup.. The book said used mustard, vinegar. You can have olive oil.

hey Barbie and the rest of you. What do you do for condiments? I'm just reading out of the book.

Caliecat
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,972 Member
    Options
    Hi Everybody, :bigsmile: :bigsmile:

This is for anyone who likes the concept of clean eating but isn't quite sure what it means.
    I got it off the Clean Eating Club Thread:

What is clean eating?
    The 80 Percent Principle

In a nutshell, eating clean is the practice of eating whole, natural foods. These include fruits, vegetables, lean proteins, and complex carbohydrates. It also means staying away from the junk that typically makes up the Standard American Diet (SAD). These types of food include man-made sugar, bad fats (hydrogenated and trans-fat), preservatives, white bread, artificial sweeteners, and any other ingredients that are unnecessary. An easy way to remember whether a food is clean is: If man made it, don’t eat it. (Try buying as many foods as possible that contain only one ingredient.)

According to physique experts (fitness models and body builders), the body is a product of 10 percent genetics, 10 percent exercise, and 80 percent nutrition. That means that in order to improve the way we look and feel, the most important thing that we can do is focus on nutrition!

Anyone who wants to eat cleaner can develop some or all of the following habits:

* Eating 5 to 6 small meals per day
    * Eating every 2 to 3 hours
    * Combining lean proteins with complex carbohydrates at every meal
    * Never skipping a meal, especially breakfast
    * Eating whole foods
    * Eating healthy fats
    * Drinking lots of water
    * Eliminating refined sugar and processed foods
    * Eliminating alcoholic beverages (another kind of sugar)
    * Carrying a supply of healthy foods when away from home
    * Making healthy choices when dining out
    * Sticking to reasonable portion sizes at all times
    * And exercising for both fat loss (cardio) and muscle gain (strength training).

(Adapted from http://www.eatingcleanworks.com and the Eat-Clean Diet books by Tosca Reno)

I claim progress rather than perfection in my journey toward my clean eating goal.
    :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
  • CALIECAT
    Options
    Thanks barbiecat, That will help me and I am sure is will help others here. Keep the information coming.
    Caleicat
  • Cindysunshine
    Options
    Barbiecat thanks a bunch! That is great information. :flowerforyou: Cindy :heart:
  • mbmempireranch
    Options
    Not sure if it's been listed here or not but there is an awesome magazine out as well called Clean Eating. Love it ! And I finally got my cute rat terrier's pic up in my profile pic :) Cut her kind of short, but hey, she's there :):tongue:
  • CALIECAT
    Options
    Good morning all. I am ready for aaother day Of clean eating. . I will make a trip to the health food store to see what I can find. I do want to pick up some bread, .some grains. It is just a small store and really do not carry much. Be back with you later.
    Caliecat
  • CALIECAT
    Options
    Here is the pumkin hummus recipe from the Eat-Cleam Diet cookbook and I also posted it in the recipe thread.

Wed 04/15/09 01:54 PMI will attemt to post the pumpkin hummus recipe. It is from the book the eat clean diet cookbook.. I think you would have to get used to the taste. It tasted pretty good to me. But I like Punpkin. It said you can used fresh pumpkin, sweet potatoes, butternut or acorn Squash cooked.

2 T. tahini
    2 T fresh lemon juice
    1t, ground cumin
    1 t. pumkin oil
    3/4 t. sea salt
    1/2 t ground pepper
    15 oz canned pumpkin
    4 cloves garlic passed throught a garlic press.
    2 T. cilanto

Preparation:
    place all engredients in a food processor. Process till amooth.
    Spoon into a decorative serving bowl and serve chilled

Calories 48 per 1 T.
    fat 1 g.
    protein 0.6g.
    carbs 9 g.
    fiber 3 g
    sugar 1 g
    Sodium 77 mg.
  • barbiecat
    Options
    on the subject of condiments----I don't use many----I like salsa except for all the salt---I found out that a tomato on a sandwich can take the place of mayo and taste better---it takes practice to change what your taste buds have been demanding for entertainment all their lives

I also like the 90/10 rule because nobody is perfect--the best clean eating cereal is oatmeal (my usual breakfast with applesauce and banana0 but I like cereal at bedtime and I eat Kashi which has sugar and soy milk
  • Cindysunshine
    Options
    Barbiecat, I'm so glad you said that about the 90/10 clean eating plan. I bet I do that now. :smile: I am going to make a real effort to eat cleaner. :smile: Cindy :heart:
  • CALIECAT
    Options
    I started my day odd with a nice container of yogurt. Love that stuff.
    Will have my egg and toast in a few minutes. I spread my meals out in 13 tiny meals thru out the day. All good clean food.

Have a great day
    Caliecat
  • CALIECAT
    Options
    Another good day.

Marie

MOVEMENT IS GOOD MEDICATIONS
  • taveragirl
    Options

This is for anyone who likes the concept of clean eating but isn't quite sure what it means.

What is clean eating?
    The 80 Percent Principle

In a nutshell, eating clean is the practice of eating whole, natural foods. These include fruits, vegetables, lean proteins, and complex carbohydrates. It also means staying away from the junk that typically makes up the Standard American Diet (SAD). These types of food include man-made sugar, bad fats (hydrogenated and trans-fat), preservatives, white bread, artificial sweeteners, and any other ingredients that are unnecessary. An easy way to remember whether a food is clean is: If man made it, don’t eat it. (Try buying as many foods as possible that contain only one ingredient.)

According to physique experts (fitness models and body builders), the body is a product of 10 percent genetics, 10 percent exercise, and 80 percent nutrition. That means that in order to improve the way we look and feel, the most important thing that we can do is focus on nutrition!

Anyone who wants to eat cleaner can develop some or all of the following habits:

* Eating whole foods
    * Eating healthy fats
    * Drinking lots of water
    * And exercising for both fat loss (cardio) and muscle gain (strength training).

(Adapted from http://www.eatingcleanworks.com and the Eat-Clean Diet books by Tosca Reno)

I claim progress rather than perfection in my journey toward my clean eating goal.

WOW i've been clean eating and didn't even know it! lol:laugh: I used to want to major in dietetics and picked up a few good habits. I haven't even tasted a piece of white bread in about 5 years! :tongue: Im always reading lables and it it has sugar added I usually go for the least. Everything else on the list is slowly coming together since the last 3 weeks. I still consider my self only about "half" clean eating because of some of the foods I eat. Healthy, low fat, and low sugar, but all the same still processed. I don't know if I will ever fully convert but thanks for the info!! Eye opener :flowerforyou: So many people have know idea about what they put in their mouths. This info helps :smile:
  • CALIECAT
    Options

What is clean eating?
    The 80 Percent Principle

* Eating whole foods
    * Eating healthy fats
    * Drinking lots of water

WOW i've been clean eating and didn't even know it! lol:laugh: I used to want to major in dietetics and picked up a few good habits. I haven't even tasted a piece of white bread in about 5 years! :tongue: Im always reading lables and it it has sugar added I usually go for the least. Everything else on the list is slowly coming together since the last 3 weeks. I still consider my self only about "half" clean eating because of some of the foods I eat. Healthy, low fat, and low sugar, but all the same still processed. I don't know if I will ever fully convert but thanks for the info!! Eye opener :flowerforyou: So many people have know idea about what they put in their mouths. This info helps :smile:
  • CALIECAT
    Options
    good for you on your clean eating. I had a 2 lb lost his morning on my plan. I am eating 100 calories every hour for a total of 13 mini meals. Working out fine for me.And getting all good clean eating too. Lots of yogurt, hummus, lean chicken, laughing cow low cal cheese and fish. fruits and veggies. And now my new found treat Mini Pita pockets. And a glass of water:drinker: before each meal.
    This week I cut out creamer in my coffee. still use Stevia but will attempt that another week. good luck to you on your journey of clean eating. The only way to go. I used barbiecat as my rollI model. am so proud of how her and her husband for being on the go and sticking to it. What!!!!! Will power

Calli..
  • CALIECAT
    Options
    Had a good clean eating day. enjoy it very much. I am feeling so much better. everybody ought to ty it.
    they would love it. I especialy like the Hummus and laughing cow. I keep both in my fridge at all time. Wonderful stuff. Have a good night---Marie
  • CALIECAT
    Options
    i plan on eating some more hummus and lauhing cow today.What a pleasure to have them around.
    Marie
  • barbiecat
    Options
    This clean eating is paying off
    today was my weigh in and I lost 3 pounds this week.:bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile:

breakfast, oatmeal, applesauce banana
    lunch chicken veggie stir fry and salad
    dinner protein shake (maybe not strictly clean eating)
    snacks cereal and yogurt, apple hairy