Do you have a gym nemesis?

Options

Replies

• VelociMama
    VelociMama Posts: 3,119 Member
    Options
    There's a girl at my gym who told me when I first started going about a year ago that I was "too fat to squat." After the baby comes, I'm going to get back to it and show her that this fat girl really can squat quite well.
  • Darkskinned88
    Darkskinned88 Posts: 1,177 Member
    Options
    Theres one dude he always seems to go behind me and try to one up my weight amount, then theres another guy who's been watching from afar copying my workouts
  • Lady_Bane
    Lady_Bane Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    Yes. Luckily she is a friend of mine. She motivates me to work harder just by seeing her there. This is her (shes my friend on fb so i was able to show you guys what a badas$ she is :P):

541402_3793406987756_748224636_n.jpg
    46314_4211436558234_2046241820_n.jpg
  • rgrange
    rgrange Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    This is funny, I just noticed I had a gym nemesis. I'm a Tampa Bay Buccaneers fan and as such I have a number of articles of clothing relating to the Tampa Bay Buccaneers. For those who don't know, the Buccaneers are an NFL football team. I just moved to NYC and joined a new gym. Part of my workout attire includes a Buccaneers shirt. Whenever I go to the gym, I notice some middle aged guy staring at me. I was always a little put off by this until I saw him in a New Orleans Saints Shirt (the Saints are a rival of the Buccaneers). I now make it a point to try to out-lift him in every exercise in an attempt to assert my team's dominance over his team.
  • elprincipito
    elprincipito Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    Whenever this happens, i offer to spot them. Then they're never heard of again.
  • MissNations
    MissNations Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    When I'm at the gym, there's a woman, probably at least 10 years older then me, who STARES at me the entire time. If she's not staring directly at me, she's staring at my reflection in the glass. And it's not a nice stare either!

At first I was like "no way b*tch, stop staring at me!" but now I'm like "wellllll I'm awesome and she just wants to be me"
    Then my head gets so big I can't fit out the door..

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :drinker:
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I don't go to a gym now, but when I did, I kind of did. I never spoke to her, but she was one of the only women at my gym to do weights, and she was gorgeous. I nicknamed her "Prom Queen," because her hair was always a perfect cascade of big bouncy curls.

My hair on a good day, looks like a cross between Cosmo Kramer, Rosanne Rosanna Danna and Red Foo of LMFAO.

Yes. I was jealous. I could understand little bunnies who never worked up a sweat always looking perfect, but this girl kicked *kitten*. And still looked perfect.

But since I wasn't quite petty enough to pull her hair to see if it was attached, or swap her shampoo with Nair, the least I could do was make sure I lifted heavier weights than she did. "Ha... she was doing 250 on the leg press? I'll do 260! And go deeper!"

I should really find her and thank her. :laugh:
  • JLand918
    JLand918 Posts: 156
    Options
    When I first read the title I thought it was targeted at exercise machine etc that you just hated to use...not a person only people that bother me are machine hogs and people who work out in non proper attire....as far as what machine is my nemesis the eliptical I know it does great for burning calories etc but it is so damn uncomfortable to use for me.
  • Rhia55
    Rhia55 Posts: 247
    Options
    All this makes me glad I can't afford a gym membership and I just exercise in the privacy of my own home :tongue:
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,136 Member
    Options
    My nemesis would be the credit card. I can't get one and no gym in the province will accept payment other than credit.
  • christine24t
    christine24t Posts: 6,063 Member
    Options
    There are a few people that just bug me for no reason. One lady is always there surrounded by like four men and I just wonder how she can have so many guys around her. There's this other girl who always works out in just a sports bra and it annoys me. Then there's a few weight-lifter guys that just gross me out...
  • ForTheSmile
    ForTheSmile Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't call her a nemesis but... I go to Curves and it's 99% older women, so the only other young person is my competition! She doesn't know that, though. :laugh: I'm just always trying to work as hard/harder than she is. :glasses:
  • Feisty_Red
    Feisty_Red Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    Early am lifting dude...if we get there at the same time it almost appears we power walk to the door so as can get the power rack first :) I have paid attention to his time and leave 5 mins earlier now.. Hehe
  • jensweighingin
    jensweighingin Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    These 2 women who horned in on my training session. The one would mimic all my moves, even after the trainer told her to put the ropes down. First time I was so confused, I didn't know what to do, the 2nd time I asked her to leave, I asked him to keep the interruptions down more than twice, asked her to pay for the current session since it was the _3rd_ time she did it, then cancelled my sessions. I'm much happier now.
  • RobfromLakewood
    Options
    There are these three guys in their early 20's who act like they are about 12 and I should know that this is the behavior level, I'm a middle school teacher. They annoy me because they are so damn loud.
  • nikinyx6
    nikinyx6 Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    My nemesis would be the credit card. I can't get one and no gym in the province will accept payment other than credit.

I hated this!!! I thought I was awesome for making all of my big purchsaes with cash all this time...I was horribly wrong, I couldn't rent a car or get a hotel room either...

Thank goodness I found Visa :)
  • beckyboop712
    beckyboop712 Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    I don't go to an actual gym anymore, just the one in my building when I need the treadmill or elliptical (which are my two machine nemeses...I would much rather just run outside). But I worked at a gym for 5 years and had MANY nemeses because I worked the front desk and got to tell people what they could and couldn't do and whether or not they had a valid membership (those were always fun fights). I got tons of dirty looks when my shift would end and I would workout myself. I think the worst one was this woman who, when the gym CLOSED for the night, would still go to the locker room to shower and cause me to stay for at least 20 extra minutes. Closed means get the hell out, not get off the machine at closing time and shower...gym employees have lives too and want to go home.
  • McBully4
    McBully4 Posts: 1,270 Member
    Options
    all the "Bro Squads"
  • avenathus
    avenathus Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    There used to be this increasingly huge clan of guys who would come to my gym around the same time I would go every morning. It started out this guy maybe around my age and a young kid, maybe his younger brother? Then it became a clan of the guy's friends. And I guess he was training them or something, but they would take up the whole gym just running around using all the machines, benches, leaving the weights out, being ridiculously loud, etc. Sometimes they would take up the whole studio room and close the door, which sucked because that's where they keep the foam rollers and mats, which I like to use when I cool down. He was definitely not a trainer with the gym, just a random dude with his friends. But a few weeks ago they disappeared and I haven't seen them since!
  • super_monty
    super_monty Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    I really need to tell someone to wash their hands after going the toilet, really he does it all the time no washing after number 1 or number 2.