Thoughts on food combining? Because I just got chewed out.

Options
So, I worked out tonight and made a spinach/protein powder/banana/unsweetened almond milk smoothie/shake to get some protein in.

I took a picture of it (pre-blending) in the blender and posted it to facebook because I thought it looked neat.

My friend's mom starts commenting ... over and over. Not sure why she couldn't put all thoughts into one or two comments, haha. But here are things she said:

1. ok - you might not have known that protein inhibits the processing of 'green' benefits
2. eat greens with protein like chicken, tuna, beef, soy - don't add starches or carbs for proper food combining enzymes for your digestive track to produce.
3. And change out your major protein daily to create a different amino acid brain process result as well
4. dairy coats your villi - which is then blocked from absorbing as much of the green benefits as possible
... ^ I corrected her here and told her my almond milk is quite dairy free, lol
5. i missed that - so check out the dance that your 'greens' and protein powder do then
6. I had a colonics session in Hawaii and the lady there was awesome as I took nutritional lessons from her - the different enzymes the stomach produces based on the different combinations
7. http://www.alderbrooke.com/images/food-combining-chart-front.jpg
8. Costco has great chicken in the big bags - $20 - hormone free - it's what we feed our cat - eggs are great too . . . I used to eat protein constantly because I have a high metabolism -
9. don't forget your carbs as our brains need carbs to regulate brain chemistry
10. as well as changing proteins daily
11. and too much soy messes with mother estrogen and can contribute to mood swings
12. what is your blood type?

She hasn't responded to my telling her my blood type yet...but yeah. Haha. Check out the link she put, I'm curious for thoughts?

I know she means well, but it was just a bit irritating. I put a picture up of something pretty darn healthy and then I get chewed out like I'm doing something horrible...

Replies

• Southpaw3612
    Options
    That gave me a good laugh. I needed that. I think you are doing great. I honestly read the whole thing and all that stands out right now is the Hawaiian Colonic Lady and feeding the cat Costco chicken.

Keep up the good work
  • miss_sarcastic
    Options
    That gave me a good laugh. I needed that. I think you are doing great. I honestly read the whole thing and all that stands out right now is the Hawaiian Colonic Lady and feeding the cat Costco chicken.

Keep up the good work

Haha, thanks for giving me a laugh too! and thanks for the encouragement. :)
  • supertracylynn
    supertracylynn Posts: 1,338 Member
    Options
    Hahaha! Can I please friend her? I need some more laughter in my life! Imagine what she'd have said about the chicken, quinoa, and peas I fed my kids for dinner... My kids that box for exercise, lol!
  • bluefairy1
    bluefairy1 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Im still laughing about the chicken she wants you to get that she feels is fit for her cat! lol
  • Natihilator
    Natihilator Posts: 1,778 Member
    Options
    holy cow...so wait is all of that her trying to say not to mix in spinach into your protein shake? Because I do it almost every day too (with almond milk as well)...oops?
  • BarbWhite09
    BarbWhite09 Posts: 1,128 Member
    Options
    Ever have those moments where you just don't understand anything that someone is saying so you sit there looking at them like their an idiot...Thats how I feel about what that person had to say...Wtfff.
  • dipsl19
    dipsl19 Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    why would veggies be okay with meat sources for protein but not with other sources?

nit. picking.

protein is protein, eat with complex carbs and some veggies

BOOM, DONE. :)
  • KimsWeightloss
    Options
    Do what makes you feel good!!! If you are seeing results, keep doing what you are doing.
    :smile:
  • kstep88
    kstep88 Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    OMG that is one hell of a message. I think you're fine with the way you made your shake... That woman would drive me nuts on a regular basis. lmao :)
  • JohnsonLiz25
    Options
    Haha that is awesome!! I love how she recommends this chicken to you and tells you how good it is...then says she feeds it to her cat!! haha! I make a smoothie of pretty much that same exact thing all the time, I have no idea about all that combination stuff she was saying but I do know it helps keep me full and its all raw foods so it works for me!! everybody has an opinion and she is obviously more than willing to share hers! I would just say "thank you for your input" and keep doing what works for you!!
  • kstep88
    kstep88 Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    Im still laughing about the chicken she wants you to get that she feels is fit for her cat! lol

^^^^ That part was so fuuny.
  • jworb
    jworb Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    .... i hadn't heard about this theory before, but it seems gimmicky at best. I like how liquids are off by themselves.... because you shouldn't put water or other liquids in food, or drink a beverage with your meal? I'm pretty sure that people do that all the time and are perfectly fine. Also - things like sugars and fats that shouldn't combine often exist naturally together (ex: coconuts). I think she was just excited to share her 'expertise'....thank her for the info and keep doing your thing :)

also - if the Costco chicken is good enough for the cat, it must be good enough for you! I'd take her up on that :wink:
  • peacemongernc
    peacemongernc Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    That stuff she posted falls into the category of things that I believe MIGHT have some truth in it, but that's just too bad if it does. I may regret my dismissal of it one day if I end up with cancer or something like that, but in the mean time, I've got other things to do. If my spinach and melons touch, they touch. Life goes on.
  • Corryn78
    Corryn78 Posts: 215
    Options
    hahahaha people are CRAZY! Clean eating, healthy, high fiber, protein. But would her cat eat it...that's the real question.
  • xmissjasmine
    Options
    That. is. hilarious.

Once she replies, ask her in the next comment if she'd like a urine sample.

The nerve of some people. Tell her you'll have your spinach and drink it too in any darn way you please.

:/
  • Southpaw3612
    Options
    Hahaha! Can I please friend her? I need some more laughter in my life! Imagine what she'd have said about the chicken, quinoa, and peas I fed my kids for dinner... My kids that box for exercise, lol!

Im pretty sure thats what the cat had for supper. MEOW!
  • slrose
    slrose Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    someone flew over the coo coo's nest
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    My mom used to say don't eat beef with dairy because you won't absorb the calcium. My mom ALSO says don't eat too much estrogen because it "screws up your hormones". I got the third degree when my mom looked over my protein bars and was concerned because I'm also on birth control (which isn't high estrogen, for her information!) lol
  • AngelaChase84
    Options

Keep up the good work

Yes. and. yes. lol!!
  • irisheyes1977
    Options
    did it taste good?