Running Shoes Conundrum

Options
Greetings,

Okay so I need to get good running shoes and everyone tells me to go to a specialty shop (because I have bad knees, etc. etc). There is one nearby but here is my questions if I go to the specialty shop, do I have to buy the shoes there?

I know that's kind of jacked up but I'm not rich and while I do need the expert advice I don't want to pay inflated prices for a pair of New Balances or something like that. If I were getting shoes with soles custom fitted to me awesome I will pay for that but otherwise I don't know if I want to shell out over $100 for a pair of shoes that's on sale at Sears for $30.

Am I just being a horrible person?

Replies

• jasonkiely
    Options
    Go and see a Podiatrist and get some custom authodics made. Best thing I ever did (for my running).

Then get a pair of Asics Kayano.
  • xxquzme
    xxquzme Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    No you dont have to buy them there. Dont feel bad for trying to save yourself some money. If you were looking to buy a new car and went a picked a salesman's ear only to find it cheaper somewhere else, would you still buy from him? I bet not. Get the advice that you need and look around for the best price. No shame in that.
  • Athena413
    Athena413 Posts: 1,709 Member
    Options
    Then get a pair of Asics Kayano.

Just because Asics work for you, doesn't mean they'll work for her...

No, you don't HAVE to buy the shoes there, but a lot of times the prices really aren't that bad. And if you can build some rapport with the people who work there, you can learn a lot and make some great friendships. I'm at my local running store almost weekly, even if I don't buy anything.

Just be sure that if you do go in and have a gait analysis done, don't blow off their advice and go buy whatever shoe you feel like just because it's the same brand. Be sure to get the shoe they actually recommended. I understand wanting to save money, so, no, that doesn't make you a bad person, but I'm also a big supporter of local business.
  • jasonkiely
    Options
    Just because Asics work for you, doesn't mean they'll work for her...
    A podiatrist will also recommend the best shoe for her to buy.
  • LeilaFace
    LeilaFace Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the advice. Guess I'll talk with a doc first then take it from there.

I don't "blow off" anyone's advice with running it's why I'm looking for new shoes, everyone told me if you're going to run you need really good shoes. I am a running novice so I'm taking in all I can because last time I didn't and blew out my knee (Partially due to Roller derby combined with running).

I'm a big fan of supporting local business but in all honesty, I can't afford them. While the shop seems very helpful with events and everything and I look forward to going and finding out more and building a rapport, their prices are very inflated (I've already price compared). But perhaps there will be a sale for the ones I need or something.

I guess I will see what happens when I go after I talk to a doc.

Thank you ALL for your help and guidance. i really appreciate it.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    I find it hard to believe that the same pair of shoes is $100 at a running shop and $30 at sears. I can't even get the same shoes at sears as I can at my local running store.

But to the point of your question... it's really a matter of ethics. I would never ask someone to spend 30 minutes with my nasty feet helping me figure out what shoe I need then go buy it elsewhere. I might ask them if they'll price match if I can actually find it cheaper, but for me, the pain and discomfort I avoid by getting fitted is well worth a few extra dollars.

If you REALLY can't/don't want to pay their prices, then go to a shoe store like DSW or Famous Footwear (where they have all the shoes on the floor, you don't have to ask a salesperson to go in the back and get your size). Try on EVERY running shoe they have and take the time to feel the difference in how they all fit. They'll be different widths, have different arch support, different amounts of cushion, etc. Take the time to really feel them and buy the one that fits and supports your foot the best.
  • hbrittingham
    hbrittingham Posts: 2,518 Member
    Options
    I find it hard to believe that the same pair of shoes is $100 at a running shop and $30 at sears. I can't even get the same shoes at sears as I can at my local running store.

But to the point of your question... it's really a matter of ethics. I would never ask someone to spend 30 minutes with my nasty feet helping me figure out what shoe I need then go buy it elsewhere. I might ask them if they'll price match if I can actually find it cheaper, but for me, the pain and discomfort I avoid by getting fitted is well worth a few extra dollars.

If you REALLY can't/don't want to pay their prices, then go to a shoe store like DSW or Famous Footwear (where they have all the shoes on the floor, you don't have to ask a salesperson to go in the back and get your size). Try on EVERY running shoe they have and take the time to feel the difference in how they all fit. They'll be different widths, have different arch support, different amounts of cushion, etc. Take the time to really feel them and buy the one that fits and supports your foot the best.

Our local running store is an independent mom & pop sort of place. I'd rather spend $10 extra there and support a local business than to pay the very little bit less to some giant based out who knows where, personally.
  • BAMFMeredith
    BAMFMeredith Posts: 2,829 Member
    Options
    No, you don't, however you pay for what you get. Whenever I need new shoes I go to this place called RunTex (specialty running store) and have them watch how I walk, run, etc. Every time, I've gotten great shoes. I made the mistake of grabbing a pair I thought felt good at Academy one time, and they were on sale, and I had to replace them within a month because they just weren't right.

It's a really good investment--you've only got one body! Treat it right!

Happy running :)
  • LeilaFace
    LeilaFace Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    Okay, So I'm just being a horrible stingy person. And now I feel kind of like a jerk, because I apparently don't support local shops and want to save money.

Guess I'll save up for a new pair of shoes. I'll try to stop by the shop today and see what they suggest. That way at least I know how much to save up for.

Thanks for your advice.
  • grinch031
    grinch031 Posts: 1,679
    Options

Yep. Sears does not sell good quality running shoes. They sell low-end running shoes.

If you spend $100 at a small specialty shop, you could probably look online and find the same pair online at a large specialty retailer for as low as $80 with free shipping. Sometimes you can't find better deals online, just depends on the shoe.

While I don't like being gouged by small specialty shops and do all my specialty shopping online, if I am going to go in the store and waste their time, I'd probably just make the purchase there to support them.
  • theginnyray
    theginnyray Posts: 208 Member
    Options

Bingo.
    No, you don't have to buy the shoes from your local shop. But they don't carry ALL of the same styles as some of the "cheaper" stores. A few styles crossover, but not all of them. I totally get it, I'm a bargain shopper. But the one thing I do not skimp on is proper workout shoes.
    It's a bummer that your local store jacks up the prices. My store has the exact same prices as the big box stores (Sports Authority, Scheels etc).
  • barefoot76
    barefoot76 Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    There's a lot of evidence that cheap, thinly-soled running shoes are really best.

" 'We used to run in canvas shoes,' Lydiard said. 'We didn't get plantar fasciitis (pain under the heel); we didn't pronate or supinate (land on the edge of the foot); we might have lost a bit of skin from the rough canvas when we were running marathons, but generally we didn't have foot problems. Paying several hundred dollars for the latest in hi-tech running shoes is no guarantee you'll avoid any of these injuries and can even guarantee that you will suffer from them in one form or another. Shoes that let your foot function like you're barefoot - they're the shoes for me.' "

Full article: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/home/moslive/article-1170253/The-painful-truth-trainers-Are-expensive-running-shoes-waste-money.html

I got my Reebok Realflex shoes at Academy for $29.99 on sale. When I'm not running in them, I'm walking around in my Vibram Bikila LS ($69.99 on sale at REI). My knee and foot pain has disappeared since I transitioned to minimalist shoes. Feel free to friend or message me if you want to chat more about this :-)
  • sgmomma
    sgmomma Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    I got fitted for a pair of running shoes the other day. Haven't purchased just yet will on monday. let me tell you the difference in the feel is amazing. I can't even find the one's i'm gonna get on line. Mine are $100. I'd say atleast go talk to the running store and have them fit you
  • hbrittingham
    hbrittingham Posts: 2,518 Member
    Options
    Okay, So I'm just being a horrible stingy person. And now I feel kind of like a jerk, because I apparently don't support local shops and want to save money.

Guess I'll save up for a new pair of shoes. I'll try to stop by the shop today and see what they suggest. That way at least I know how much to save up for.

Thanks for your advice.

You aren't being a horribly stingy person and you shouldn't feel like a jerk. I was just stating why I am willing to purchase from the locally owned store. Each person has their own reason for doing what they do.

I do think that if you go into a running store to get a gait analysis, you could be honest and tell them that you aren't planning on purchasing today but had heard that a gait analysis is a good thing to have done. I had one done a few weeks ago when I injured my ankle and they didn't try to sell me shoes (since I had some brand new Brooks that they would have recommended anyways), but I did purchase some inserts that made all the difference in my ankle.

Good luck!
  • curvygirl512
    curvygirl512 Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    Here's my doctor's advice: you think running shoes are expensive? You should see the monthly cost of cholesterol and high blood pressure meds. Buy the quality shoes (and support your local busineses).
  • xxquzme
    Options

Thanks for your advice.

Please dont listen to these people on here. Shop around and dont feel obligated to buy from the place that fits you. Thats what they are there for. You may not be able to buy from the local sears but i assure you that you WILL be able to find the exact pair online for much cheaper. My mom got fit at a shoe speciality place and actually bought them there. Turned around and went to kohls after that and they had the same pair there for nearly half the cost. Just because someone spends some time with you doesnt mean that they automatically get your business. If their prices were comparable then i would say spend the extra few bucks, but we are not talking a few dollars here. Do whats best for you and disregard the other posts about "ethics".
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    There's a lot of evidence that cheap, thinly-soled running shoes are really best.

" 'We used to run in canvas shoes,' Lydiard said. 'We didn't get plantar fasciitis (pain under the heel); we didn't pronate or supinate (land on the edge of the foot); we might have lost a bit of skin from the rough canvas when we were running marathons, but generally we didn't have foot problems. Paying several hundred dollars for the latest in hi-tech running shoes is no guarantee you'll avoid any of these injuries and can even guarantee that you will suffer from them in one form or another. Shoes that let your foot function like you're barefoot - they're the shoes for me.' "

Full article: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/home/moslive/article-1170253/The-painful-truth-trainers-Are-expensive-running-shoes-waste-money.html

I got my Reebok Realflex shoes at Academy for $29.99 on sale. When I'm not running in them, I'm walking around in my Vibram Bikila LS ($69.99 on sale at REI). My knee and foot pain has disappeared since I transitioned to minimalist shoes. Feel free to friend or message me if you want to chat more about this :-)

I agree with this. I've recently gotten some Fila Skeletoes and I love them! You have to practice a little better tecnique and work on not heal striking and landing mid to forefoot. They also took a little adjustment period of a couple of weeks to get the tendons in the foot and calf muscles that don't normally get worked in shape. Rather than depending on the shoe for shock absorbtion you depend on proper tecnique. There are many stories like the poster above whose knee, foot, ankle and/or hip pain has disappeared.
  • Mom2rh
    Mom2rh Posts: 612 Member
    Options

Our local running store is an independent mom & pop sort of place. I'd rather spend $10 extra there and support a local business than to pay the very little bit less to some giant based out who knows where, personally.

This. Support your local business. You can't get the same shoe at Sears. Guaranteed.
  • xxquzme
    Options

I am a vibram man myself. barefoot all the way. Somedays i feel that i could run forever.
  • c3js80
    c3js80 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    You're not stingy, most of us have other obligations. I'm looking at getting a better of shoes now, but I'm still using my Sauconys that I got at ****s for 40.00. When I think about it, I've put hundreds of miles on those shoes,