Running Shoes Conundrum

Options

Replies

• grinch031
    grinch031 Posts: 1,679
    Options
    As a small business owner I'm honestly appaled with those that say "just go get fitted with a gait analysis and all and then buy them where they are cheaper". To do this is essentially to use someone else for your benefit exclusively and all they get out of it is an investment of time for which the get no return. Zip, zilch, nada! IMHO, that is really questionable ehtically. The small specialty store is not there to provide you free consulting!

That person is operating their business to make a living. You are using their time without paying for it. They do not provide gait analysis and fitting for the shear fun of it. It is a value added servie. To use the service and not provide the return is to just use the business person. I would not get fitted and take advantage of this value added service if I did not intend to buy from this person assuming I felt they did a good job. If you don't want to pay the slight premium, go fit yourself. Or go in and ask what a gait analysis and fitting would cost if you didn't buy the shoes and add that on to the cost of the bargin shop and see where you stand. As several have mentioned the small specialty store is not always more expensive.

I agree with this. I don't blame people too much for doing this since its culturally acceptable and even encouraged by bargain shopping experts, but at a minimum I would buy something in the store even if its not the shoes. I might buy some GU products or gloves just to show appreciation for the time they spent working with me.
  • kag1526
    kag1526 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Maybe I'm odd but I could never get someone to spend the time with me and then go buy somewhere else. I feel like part of the extra fee is for the time it takes them to do the analysis because the store is paying that person for that time (and probably paying them more because they know what they are doing).

That said I had no problem getting one pair of good socks that I liked at the store and then finding something comparable at a sporting goods store for much less so that I could have more pairs. I would also have no problem buying the same shoes from somewhere else if I wanted the same things next time.

I'm bringing my DH back to the store I got mine and having him get a pair now too since he decided to join me on my c25k... and he will buy his pair there too.

I guess I feel if I don't have the money to buy them there then I can't afford to have the gait stuff done and get into the sport. Just like how some need to spend more money in stores for computer stuff because they need someone to help them figure out what they need. I can get parts cheap online becuase I know what I need already.
  • barefoot76
    barefoot76 Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    Just do a few short runs at first, maybe a mile, and see how you feel. My achilles and calf were a little stiff but once they get in shape, a week or 2, they you are good. One thing I like about the feel of the minimal shoes is that you get immediate feedback which makes your tecnique get better almost automatically without thinking about it. You feel every landing and if you pronated a little or whatever, you feel it and fine tune.

This was so true for me. I really didn't believe the barefoot hype, even after reading "Born to Run," but I had a half-marathon coming up and my ITBS wasn't letting me get past 10 miles. I bought my Reeboks only because they were on sale. My first run in them, I was told to do 1-2 miles, but I ran four. I couldn't walk for four days, my calf muscles were so sore, LOL! There really is an adjustment period as the legs and feet build new muscle. But by the time race day arrived, I ran in the new shoes, and I wasn't even sore the next day (I did have a monster blister, however, and learned my lesson on that one).

Getting back on topic, I am a small business owner, so I love the idea of supporting a local proprietor. That said, I am a small business owner, so I can tell you that, no matter what, their job is to sell you something, and in the athletic shoe industry, there are a lot of misconceptions about what is "right" and what isn't. Do some research for yourself before you blanketly accept what a salesperson tells you is right for your feet. /2cents
  • tiptoeketo
    tiptoeketo Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    If you're really serious about running, then you should be really serious about your shoes.

If you do decide to research on your own before buying at Sears, take a look at this video from runnersworld.com. It will help you to figure out what type of arch you have and then give you a list of shoes that will work for your needs.

http://www.runnersworld.com/video/1,8052,s6-4-0-4,00.html?bcpid=780919304001&bckey=AQ~~,AAAAABjSC4E~,YBF36HfcFnaeozx0gle1sv5joItVrHMv&bclid=1716449631&bctid=16474217001
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    I agree. It's not an annuity because they fitted you once. But all the reasons you state for buying where you got fitted are all the right reasons.
  • Carebear530
    Carebear530 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I agree 110% with running in good shoes. When I don't run in Kayanos with insoles I'm in pain in weeks. I'll never risk it again. That being said I buy the older model from Road Runner Sports & I got my last pair for about $67 (normal $139). If you sign up for their VIP program you can get better deals & wear the shoes up to 90 days & exchange them no questions asked if they are not working for you. And their people on the phone are pretty good at helping you.
  • Heaven71
    Heaven71 Posts: 706 Member
    Options
    "but at a minimum I would buy something in the store even if its not the shoes."

I agree with this completely, even if you can't afford the shoes buy some good socks or a T-shirt. I bought mine right in the store but I can say, now that I know which ones fit me, I will look for a better deal in the future. I also bought a bumper sticker to advertise for the store. They may not get all of my busines but they have my loyalty.

I am dying to try the minimalist shoes and may have to go back for a pair.
    As a small business owner I'm honestly appaled with those that say "just go get fitted with a gait analysis and all and then buy them where they are cheaper". To do this is essentially to use someone else for your benefit exclusively and all they get out of it is an investment of time for which the get no return. Zip, zilch, nada! IMHO, that is really questionable ehtically. The small specialty store is not there to provide you free consulting!

That person is operating their business to make a living. You are using their time without paying for it. They do not provide gait analysis and fitting for the shear fun of it. It is a value added servie. To use the service and not provide the return is to just use the business person. I would not get fitted and take advantage of this value added service if I did not intend to buy from this person assuming I felt they did a good job. If you don't want to pay the slight premium, go fit yourself. Or go in and ask what a gait analysis and fitting would cost if you didn't buy the shoes and add that on to the cost of the bargin shop and see where you stand. As several have mentioned the small specialty store is not always more expensive.

I agree with this. I don't blame people too much for doing this since its culturally acceptable and even encouraged by bargain shopping experts, but at a minimum I would buy something in the store even if its not the shoes. I might buy some GU products or gloves just to show appreciation for the time they spent working with me.
  • skylark94
    skylark94 Posts: 2,036 Member
    Options
    I think it's okay to go into a store to do some price comparison, but I would never ask let a sales person run me through a whole analysis and fitting if I have no intention of buying from them. That feels very dishonest to me.
  • LeilaFace
    LeilaFace Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry if I've offended people with my poor-ness. I support local businesses as often as I can.

I was exaggerating when I said $100 vs. $30 at Sears, I know you can't get the same shoe in a department store. It was merely an exaggerated example.

I posed this question because I am struggling and have started using running as my affordable and real outlet. I truly enjoy it. After hearing some responses, I AGREED that I should see a doctor and then go to the store to figure out the best shoe and SAVE UP FOR IT TO SUPPORT A LOCAL BUSINESS.

I was interested in personal stories, advice and suggestions. They helped me come to the conclusion that having a good pair of shoes is worth the price - I AGREED.

I seriously do not appreciate my ethics being attacked. I'm sorry I don't have much money and I'm sorry I asked if there was another way for me to afford shoes. It was just a question. I have seen the errors of my way. I am very grateful for the advice (that didn't insult me) that lead to the right course of action.
  • mmapags
    Options
    I'm sorry if I've offended people with my poor-ness. I support local businesses as often as I can.

I was exaggerating when I said $100 vs. $30 at Sears, I know you can't get the same shoe in a department store. It was merely an exaggerated example.

I posed this question because I am struggling and have started using running as my affordable and real outlet. I truly enjoy it. After hearing some responses, I AGREED that I should see a doctor and then go to the store to figure out the best shoe and SAVE UP FOR IT TO SUPPORT A LOCAL BUSINESS.

I was interested in personal stories, advice and suggestions. They helped me come to the conclusion that having a good pair of shoes is worth the price - I AGREED.

I seriously do not appreciate my ethics being attacked. I'm sorry I don't have much money and I'm sorry I asked if there was another way for me to afford shoes. It was just a question. I have seen the errors of my way. I am very grateful for the advice (that didn't insult me) that lead to the right course of action.

I apologize if you thought I was questioning your ethics. I saw nothing wrong with your question. You were seeking the right path and getting cousel. You came to the appropriate conclusion IMHO. Well done!

My issue was with those couseling you to use a small running shop and thier expertise for a fitting and them buying where it's cheaper.

I look forward to seeing posts about your progress! Best wishes!
  • grinch031
    Options
    So that brings me to the question...what do people who shop for shoes online do to find the appropriate shoes?
  • LeilaFace
    Options

I apologize if you thought I was questioning your ethics. I saw nothing wrong with your question. You were seeking the right path and getting cousel. You came to the appropriate conclusion IMHO. Well done!

My issue was with those couseling you to use a small running shop and thier expertise for a fitting and them buying where it's cheaper.

Honestly, I didn't even know specialty local shoe stores did things like gait tests and impressions to find out the best shoes for you (if you read my topic it mentions nothing other than asking for expert advice - no testing). I'm not going to make someone go through all of that just to stiff them that's like stiffing a waiter! I was honestly just trying to figure out the best most affordable way to buy shoes. And I got my answer - buck up and save!
  • LeilaFace
    Options
    "So that brings me to the question...what do people who shop for shoes online do to find the appropriate shoes? "

That's been my question for awhile! But everyone says to go to a local running store I didn't know they did tests and stuff. I'm going to hit up my doctor and see what they suggest.
  • Donnacoach
    Donnacoach Posts: 540 Member
    Options
    Asics are def. the best show out there right now.
  • grinch031
    Options
    "So that brings me to the question...what do people who shop for shoes online do to find the appropriate shoes? "

That's been my question for awhile! But everyone says to go to a local running store I didn't know they did tests and stuff. I'm going to hit up my doctor and see what they suggest.

I've never actually bought shoes from a running store. I took my chances and bought online just from the specs. Turned out okay for me, but I wouldn't recommend it to others if they are novices and don't know their feet too well. Sounds like they might be at the mercy of the local running stores.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    So that brings me to the question...what do people who shop for shoes online do to find the appropriate shoes?
    I've bought shoes online before... sometimes brands I've never tried on before so I had no idea how they would fit. I've had mixed results.

It comes down to 2 things...

1) how are you going to use the shoes. Fit is a lot less important for shoes that you just kick around town in on weekends or whatever. Conversely, fit is much MORE important if you are logging a lot of miles (running, for example) or hours (long hikes). If you live in the shoes, fit is crucial. If they are just for fun/looks, fit is less important.

2) it's kind of a crap shoot. You can do research about how a typical brand *generally* runs (is it narrow or wide, flat, cushioned, neutral, etc), but ultimately it's a crap shoot. When buying shoes sight unseen, you have to accept the fact that they may not fit well and be prepared to deal with that (either wear them anyway, return them, sell them, etc).

The big variable here though is that some people have very typical feet with very typical strides and do very typical activities in their shoes. These people can buy pretty much any decent shoe and be good to go. But if you've got a overly high arch or an especially wide foot or are overweight etc etc then a typical shoe probably won't work well for you.
  • jacksonpt
    Options
    Asics are def. the best show out there right now.

What makes you say that? Talk about a blanket statement.

Asics *generally* have more arch support than other brands, have a slightly wider toe box, and a bit more cushion than a lot of other shoes. For someone looking for a narrower shoe with less cushion (or lighter weight) that has a flat foot, asics probably aren't the best option.
  • jacksonpt
    Options

Honestly, I didn't even know specialty local shoe stores did things like gait tests and impressions to find out the best shoes for you (if you read my topic it mentions nothing other than asking for expert advice - no testing). I'm not going to make someone go through all of that just to stiff them that's like stiffing a waiter! I was honestly just trying to figure out the best most affordable way to buy shoes. And I got my answer - buck up and save!

Call around to local running shops and ask if they offer any type of fitting service. They should look at your arch and have you walk/run a bit so they can look at your stride. Some do a bit more as well, but those are the basics that any good running shop should do. Ask if there is a fee for it if you don't buy from them. You may be able to get fitted for $15 or whatever, then you'll know what type of shoe to look for and you can find better deals online or where ever. That way everyone wins.
  • mmapags
    Options
    I think jacksonpt has some great advice on this. I always went to some big discount store, tried some on and noted what fit best and what they charged. Then I went home and checked the internet. If it was close I bought local, if not I ordered on line. I think you could benefit from a fitting at some point but for now, get some comfortable shoes and get moving! I always check out the shoe reviews on runnersworld.com to start my research.
  • JanieJack
    JanieJack Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    I don't know if I want to shell out over $100 for a pair of shoes that's on sale at Sears for $30.

Am I just being a horrible person?

Not at alll... running shoes are expensive. The only thing is, if you're feet/joints are anything like meine, you're NOT going to find the shoe you need on clearance at Sears.

OTOH, when I first started running (1-3 miles) I got away with clearance $10 shoes from the BX. They didn't last but a few months before shinsplints would come back and my knees would start to hurt again, but cost wise I was still coming out a ahead financially.

NOWadays I run 5-12 miles at a time, and there's NO way I'd put that kind of pressure on my body in a "cheap" shoe. I go to the specialized running shoe and they fit me. I get fit once a year, even though I like my current shoe, because new shoes come out and one time (about 2 years ago), I discovered (during a fitting) that I needed to stop wearing the most supportive shoe and dropped to one for a more normal feet. Who knew that arches could get better??

If cost is really an issue, just get out there and go run! You cold do like jacksonpt suggested and see if there's a cost for the fitting, but I've been to places that didn't charge me. Good luck!