what to give up for LENT?

Options
I've been thinking about this for the last 2 weeks and I'm trying to figure out some good things I could give up for LENT this year. Even if you are non-religious it's 40 days to work on a bad habit or create good ones...unlike Valentine's day which serves absolutely no purpose.

I'm looking for things that are not so cliche...
I've given up drinking alcohol.
I've given up smoking.

I'm already doing these things, so it doesn't quite work for LENT this year.

Replies

• BigDaddyBRC
    BigDaddyBRC Posts: 2,395 Member
    Options
    Give up something that is tangible and you re passionate about it. Something for which you truly enjoy and going without will be a challenge.
    For some, this could no data usage on their cell phones, or technology....becoming unplugged
    Others, it could be money...rather than spending on themselves, they donate their time and money to charitabele purposes.
  • Athena413
    Athena413 Posts: 1,709 Member
    Options
    Just a thought, and I'm not even Catholic, but I've seriously considered giving up bread. Not because of the carbs, but because I'm trying to watch my sodium and bread has quite a bit in it. And if I can get out of the habit of eating bread and just use healthier alternatives, why even go back to it?
  • Lusadi
    Lusadi Posts: 79
    Options
    Meat and dairy are the traditional restrictions. You could give a vegan lifestyle a try?
  • Dexy_
    Dexy_ Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    I had to google what LENT was!
  • Athena413
    Athena413 Posts: 1,709 Member
    Options
    Others, it could be money...rather than spending on themselves, they donate their time and money to charitabele purposes.

Oooo! That's good!
  • takingnameskickingbutt
    Options
    I gave up Diet Coke for Lent a few years ago, and I seldom have it anymore!
  • AngelikaLumiere
    AngelikaLumiere Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    I am giving up being fat.
  • chocolateandvodka
    chocolateandvodka Posts: 1,856 Member
    Options
    sex.

try it. i did. and on the 40th day it was *MAGICAL*
  • MaynardLD50
    MaynardLD50 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    My favorite? Sugar. To be specific no refine sugar. That means the only sugars you can touch is natural, fructose (fruit), Lactose (milk) and that's about it.

Welcome to hell.
  • AshJasper
    AshJasper Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    what's something you spend a lot of money on on a daily or weekly basis? something that you could live without. like say every morning you go to Starbucks and spend five buck. instead of getting Starbucks(or whatever it is you're quitting) put that five bucks somewhere hidden everyday and at the end it will add up. donate it to a charitable cause or pay off some past due bills. =)
  • smantha32
    smantha32 Posts: 6,990 Member
    Options
    I'm giving up Lent for Lent. :bigsmile:
  • Lararivf
    Lararivf Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Give out bad habits like watching television or navigating the web. Time that can be spent working out. Personally I am going to try a juice diet. Eat nothing but fruits, vegetables, some seeds and beans such as lentils and drink nothing but water.
  • Fred77
    Fred77 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    i'm giving up pickled beetroot and prunes. it will be a real struggle, but hopefully i find the motivation to last the entire 40 days!
  • exerbeast
    Options
    For me, it's eating out and chocolate. This is going to be torture. Oh well, my friend is giving up all meats and I don't think I can go that far.
  • rachcamp88
    rachcamp88 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Alcohol, my friends do it every year and this year I've convinced my auntie,uncle and rather reluctant mum to stop drinking with me!
  • LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo
    Options
    Hmmm I'm a Catholic but to be honest I'm really not that religious unlike my parents notably my Hispanic dad & his family. But if I were to give up something I think its avoiding saying foul languages or offensive words even if you're feeling angry to the bones. Its too difficult but its worth it.
  • Learning2LoveMe
    Learning2LoveMe Posts: 1,430 Member
    Options
    I have trouble staying in an exercise routine. So for lent I'm going to give up being lazy.... and exercise every day for 40 days.
  • living_loving_laughing2013
    Options
    A friend of mine last year gave up Facebook...I thought it was a bit silly, but hey it was her thing...
  • committomittxoxo
    committomittxoxo Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    Give up complaining!! :) It's harder than you think.. you don't realize how much people complain until you force yourself to stop.. "My feet hurt." "I'm tired." "Man, my mother-in-law's a b*tch." It's really freeing and is actually a productive way to "work" on yourself. Just an idea. :) Cheers! and good luck!
  • Liz915
    Liz915 Posts: 123
    Options
    I think I am going to give up chocolate. I love chocolate and I have it in some way at least every other day (now that I've started counting my calories, it's usually in the form of a Weight Watchers Ice cream bar, Skinny Cow treats, 100 calorie packs of chocolate covered pretzels, etc) it will be so hard but it's something I really want to do. I'm considering taking it a step further and giving up all desserts.We'll see