what to give up for LENT?

Replies

• goldfinger88
    goldfinger88 Posts: 686 Member
    I don't believe in lint nor do I believe in intentionally giving up something for some ridiculous reason. But if you do, I'd give up something very important to you. Self-inflicted punishment is so unhealthy.
  • frosty73
    frosty73 Posts: 424 Member
    Not for Lent, but for a school project I gave up "modern cooking conveniences" for a week. After toasting a bagel over a campfire, I will *never* ever enjoy the smell of apple-wood again.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    I'm giving up Lent for Lent. :bigsmile:
    I gave up Lent for Lent a couple of decades ago and I've never done it again.
  • Katiemarie4488
    Katiemarie4488 Posts: 242 Member
    I am giving up Pop (or Soda or Coke whatever part of the world you are in lol) I gave it up last year for lent, and stayed away from it until October when we went on a motorcycle trip, and there was nothing else to drink.... Once I had that first Sip of Pepsi Max, I was back, hooked on it lol

So here we go again! Lets see if I can quit the sauce for good ;)
  • jojopel
    jojopel Posts: 348 Member
    Instead of giving something up, why don't you add something - helping out at a homeless shelter or at a food bank or helping out any charitable organization you support.
  • Sh1tsRainbows
    Sh1tsRainbows Posts: 1,227 Member
    I'm giving up Lent for Lent. :bigsmile:
    I gave up Lent for Lent a couple of decades ago and I've never done it again.

THIS
  • ludogx87
    ludogx87 Posts: 286 Member
    i was going to give up booze.... but then i realised old firm sunday is within lent (big football rival game for all you USA folks :)

sooooo DECIDED that now is my lent and am not drinking untill old firm sunday :)

last year i gave up fizzy juice and lasted about 5 days hahaha
  • wedjul05
    wedjul05 Posts: 472
    We, in work, are going to have a pre-lent binge!!!

We are all going to bake over the weekend and gorge ourselves before next wednesday. One girl is going to make her fab oat biscuits, another is making caramel shortbread and me.....torte de cappacino.

For lent, I am giving up ALL crap. No chocolate, biscuits or other bad item. I know I should be doing this already but hey, I still have the odd treat. I am just getting back on track with losing weight so it's a perfect time.

If I do want something nice, I am going to bake it and hence cut down the salt/sugar and butter content.
  • kd_mazur
    kd_mazur Posts: 569 Member
    Instead of giving something up, why don't you add something - helping out at a homeless shelter or at a food bank or helping out any charitable organization you support.
    I was thinking the same thing! lol
  • HMD7703
    HMD7703 Posts: 761 Member
    OMG OMG OMG...I won't be giving up SEX - that is FOR SURE.

Oh wait.. I don't observe Lent.
    Disregard.
  • cekeys
    cekeys Posts: 397 Member
    Not being in Louisiana anymore I totally forgot when Lent even starts. Feb 22 this year until April 7th.

I'm thinking about giving up my video games for 40 days.... hold on while I'm hyperventilating at the thought. *gasp gasp*
  • KemaVA
    KemaVA Posts: 81 Member
    Well 'Fat Tuesday' is the 21st so I will drink a little and then give it up for lent. UGHHHH!!!!
  • cgrout78
    cgrout78 Posts: 1,628 Member
    I usually do chocolate for lent. I think I gave up alcohol last year too. So I usually have a pitcher of hurricanes the weekend before :)
  • claram5415
    claram5415 Posts: 512 Member
    I'm a religious person so I usually try to add something positive to my routine, to help me give up the negative. For example, I may read the Bible more to take the place of a silly TV show. This year, I am giving up the workday lunch out and I'm replacing it with declicious, heathy lunches from home.
  • sblair77
    sblair77 Posts: 355 Member
    I didn't read any of these BUT I usually try to DO something new that helps that I usually wouldn't do others vs give up something.

Last year I went to the store and bought little deodorants, soaps, non perishable foods, toothbrushes and the like. I then put them in paper lunch sacks and made a point to give them out to people who were asking for money.

I continued to do it through out the year...To be honest it changed part of me that needed it - so I did end up "giving something up" in a way.

This year I am thinking of finding an outreach group that I can participate in. Maybe give up my Saturday mornings to deliver food to the homeless or give up my time to teach art in our inner city community center for kids/young adults...something of that sort.
  • I don't normally practice Lent, but this year I want a challenge! So, no Monster drinks or Starbucks :sad: and no chocolate... which means I have to eat the chocolate I have by Wednesday. It shouldn't be too hard considering I don't have much. :bigsmile:
  • Glassgal01
    Glassgal01 Posts: 140 Member
    I'm going to give up Alcohol for Lent this year.
  • monkeypantz
    monkeypantz Posts: 288 Member
    I'm giving up take aways and eating out (hopefully this should save me some money too) and taking up Exercising for an hour every day!

I do go away for a few days over lent, but at that point I'll stop and just extend my lent time over easter.
  • Tara4boys
    Tara4boys Posts: 515 Member
    I gave up Facebook last year for Lent - such a time vacuum.
  • What I did a few years ago was I made a list of 40 little things I could do to better either myself or the lives of people around me. It was just a variety of things like 1) don't bring my cell phone to the dinner table or 2) stop getting angry over things like people pulling out in front of me on the road...just little things. 40 little things that can make a difference.