1200 cal a day people please answer this...

Options

Replies

• lin7604
    lin7604 Posts: 3,019 Member
    Options
    thanks for asking this question, i have been trying to figure out the answer too. i was on 1200 cals a days and just upped it to 1310 as i haven't lost nothing in a month. i noticed that when i ate less then 1200 cals it stated that i was eating too few calories when i'm not exercising but when i exercise it doesn't say anything when i net under 1200??? eg) yesterday i was set at 1310, ate 1554 and then burned 380 with exercise. so i netted 1147. i didn't know if i should always be 1200 no matter what or if it's ok to be under on the days i exercise as it doesn't tell me to fuel up more? so confusing.... 1200 cals in general or new 1200 cals?
  • tenquilts
    Options
    I don't eat back my excess calories, generally speaking. There are days when I have over 1200 and I figure it will all come out in the wash.

For the most part, my eating is for fuel and nutrition. I have excess fat to burn. I'm no expert but what I've read about the science of weight loss is that you consume fewer calories than you burn and you lose weight. Well, I have a very sedentary lifestyle - behind a computer or sewing machine most days - and I make time to run a few times a week. My goal is to eat what I would burn through normal everyday stuff - that 1200 calories - and let anything extra I do go to burning fat. I know the rule of thumb is that you need to burn approximately 3500 calories over and above what you already burn doing daily activities in order to lose one pound of fat. Well, that is NOT going to be easy to do with a desk job and 1200 calorie diet. Especially since I don't have any idea other than general guides how many calories I actually burn.

Obviously, when I'm done losing weight and want to sustain, I'll have a different approach.
  • snaus70
    Options
    I try to not eat back my exercise calories unless I am just starving.

So you are suggesting I fuel my very healthy 35 year old active body with 760 calories/day. Because I think that's what you are advising based on your comment. If I did not eat back my workout cals I'd be fueling my body with 760. How is that possible?

It doesn't sound like that is what she is suggesting at all. She was saying what works for her, not what anyone else should do.

^^ Agree
  • tinalatina
    tinalatina Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    I have to eat back my calories....I would have no energy if I didnt.
  • RNmomto4
    RNmomto4 Posts: 143
    Options
    I agree with what a lot of others posted. I dont always eat back my exercise cals. It's worked for me so far, but my weight loss has slowed now that I am closer to goal, so I know I am going to have to play with my calories and start eating a bit more.

I know not everyone is the same way, so just remember that when you start noticing a slow weight loss or stall, that you may need to consider boosting your calories.

I also eat pretty clean, so most of my foods tend to be lower calorie. I am thinking of adding in some nuts and avacodos to get the added cals, but still have a healthy diet.
  • amybreckenridge
    Options
    my personal trainer recommends that i do not eat back my exercise calories. i try to eat 1350 calories a day regardless of whether or not i exercise and i have been losing one pound a week. :)
  • RNmomto4
    RNmomto4 Posts: 143
    Options
    Also-research intermittent fasting. It's pretty interesting.
  • wells0707
    wells0707 Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    I eat back the majority of my calories. The only reason I try not to eat them all is to allow room for error in calculating excercise and calories in.
  • AlmostFamous29
    AlmostFamous29 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I have a similar problem/question. I started at 1500 cal a day and as I lost weight it has slowly gone down to 1200 cal a day. As soon as I hit the 1200 cal a day, I haven't lost any weight. I am exercising the same, but trying to incorporate different work outs and more strength training. Literally a few pounds away from my goal and I completely stalled out. In fact, I gained back the 2 lbs I lost.
  • llkilgore
    llkilgore Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    I know the rule of thumb is that you need to burn approximately 3500 calories over and above what you already burn doing daily activities in order to lose one pound of fat. Well, that is NOT going to be easy to do with a desk job and 1200 calorie diet. Especially since I don't have any idea other than general guides how many calories I actually burn.

The rule of thumb is that you need to burn approximately 500 more calories a day than you take in, on average, to lose a pound a week. From a weight loss prospective it doesn't matter whether any given calorie is burned by running or simply to keep your heart beating. You exercise - not to create a deficit (as MFP is set up) or maximize this week's weight loss - but for your health, for your looks, and to maintain a higher metabolic rate that will help you to head off a plateau and make it easier to keep the weight off.

And unless you are tiny, have set the program to maintenance, or have already messed up your metabolism by under eating, that 1200 calorie diet already includes a deficit. Exercise above and beyond your daily activities shouldn't be required for weight loss.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I mostly just eat when I'm hungry. Some days I don't eat all my exercise calories. Some days I do. Some days I eat them and then some. But overtime I think it averages out to eating most of them.
  • llkilgore
    llkilgore Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    I agree with what a lot of others posted. I dont always eat back my exercise cals. It's worked for me so far, but my weight loss has slowed now that I am closer to goal, so I know I am going to have to play with my calories and start eating a bit more.

I ate back my exercise calories and my weight loss didn't slow as I got closer to my goal. In fact, I crashed through my original "realistic" goal by 12 pounds and finally stabilized at 2 pounds below my "fantasy" goal.

Jacking up your deficit with exercise to lose weight faster is like weaving in and out of city traffic and running red lights to get to your destination faster. You may seem to be making great progress - for a while - but then the metabolic cop pulls you over and any advantage you've gained evaporates.
  • lovetms
    lovetms Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    When I only ate 1200 calories regardless I had no energy and I was frequently getting hunger headaches. Now I try to eat my BMR everyday (you can calculate yours under 'Tools') but with doing Insanity, my net calories are definitely below 1200.
  • SithZombie
    SithZombie Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Go for net 1200...that's what I'm at least trying to do.
  • RyanDanielle5101
    Options
    Sometimes I do and most of the time I don't! I try to only eat when I am hungry:) My body has been doing a wonderful job telling me when I need to eat, usually the day after a high cal burn I eat a bit more than usual:smile:

I just posted before and after pics and I'm pretty happy with my results so far!

You will figure out what works for you, good luck:)
  • blonde20fan
    blonde20fan Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    I am currently at 1460 calories a day. When I exercise I make sure to eat back enough calories to net 1200 calories. My body needs that many to function.
  • njmp
    njmp Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    I eat back my exercise calories! I also eat pretty much all day long!!!
  • RunHardBeStrong
    RunHardBeStrong Posts: 33,069 Member
    Options
    I eat when Im hungry. I always net 1100-1200.

This for me as well. I net between 1100-1300 and am losing at the rate of 2 lbs/wk. It's taken awhile for me playing with numbers to find out what works best for me though. Good luck!
  • Lesa_Sass
    Lesa_Sass Posts: 2,213 Member
    Options
    I eat them back and I look fantastic.. :smokin:
  • naastrodamus
    Options
    I'm pretty new to this, but... when I first started MFP recommended I eat 2020 calories a day. Considering I walk about 5 miles a day and do sit ups and push ups, I thought it wouldn't be a problem. But I can't even come CLOSE to eating that much, with or without eating back my exercise calories.

I adjusted my settings from 'lightly active' to 'sedentary' and it moved me down to 1800 calories a day, but I still can't get there. I haven't even done my exercising today and I'm hovering around 1000 calories for the day. There's no way I'll hit 1800, and I never have. I'm JUST NOT THAT HUNGRY.

My philosophy, and since I'm new this could easily change, is to just eat however much I feel I need. If it's short on calories, so be it. No one can convince me that consistent overeating beyond my capacity to 1) be comfortable and 2) enjoy it are helping me lose weight.

I do, however, feel like the concept of the "cheat day" is a good idea. If for nothing else but to boost one's caloric intake over the course of an entire week, instead of micro-managing each day.

Anybody else just not hungry enough for their recommended caloric intake?