banana's every day, good or bad?

Options
I eat a banana every day but it takes up 14g of my 36g of sugar allowed per day so I'm almost ALWAYS over on that category. Should I cut back on them? I exercise five days a week, four days are runs and one day is a boot camp class. I heard banana's are a great source of energy but is the sugar too much?

Replies

• taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    banana every day is fine.
  • hottottie11
    hottottie11 Posts: 907 Member
    Options
    deliciously good.
  • Runningirl7284
    Runningirl7284 Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    Great Source of energy! I eat one a day as well!
  • JDMPWR
    JDMPWR Posts: 1,863 Member
    Options
    Good for you. Unless it's some refined sugar then I wouldn't really worry to much about it.
  • fitacct
    fitacct Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    I, too, eat a half or whole banana every day. I've read that we shouldn't be as concerned with sugars that naturally occur in fruits...it's the processed sugars that harm us most. Plus, bananas are excellent sources of potassium. : )
  • juliekaiser1988
    juliekaiser1988 Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    Never deny yourself a fruit serving. And they are high in so many nutrients. Always worth the hit IMHO.
  • lizsmith1976
    lizsmith1976 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    I never worry about sugar coming from fruit - way different than refined white sugar in cakes/cookies etc. Bananas are good for you for SO many reasons. Eat away :)
  • hiker282
    hiker282 Posts: 983 Member
    Options
    Bananas are the new apples; but that's just the gospel according to me.
  • Eureka175
    Eureka175 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Also a great source of potassium
  • Sixalicious
    Sixalicious Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Great source of potassium. I usually eat two or three a day.
  • Lesa_Sass
    Lesa_Sass Posts: 2,213 Member
    Options
    I decided to cut them out. They were not worth the calories and they "bind" me up for some reason. I find that berries with yogurt and a little granola are more worth while.
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options

imo...WAY too many

banannas are fine but they are so over rated
  • mathen2
    mathen2 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I would say that if you were to eat a banana a day, you just dont want your insulin to spike just because of that sugar. So eat some nuts along with it, something with fiber causing it to metabolize the sugar from the banana. That way you get the best of both worlds.
  • LoriBarefoot
    LoriBarefoot Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    nanner everyday for me :o)
  • ShapeUpSidney
    ShapeUpSidney Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    I decided to cut them out. They were not worth the calories and they "bind" me up for some reason. I find that berries with yogurt and a little granola are more worth while.

a lot of people say that, actually...so you're not alone

My baby nephew can't have them for this same reason...lol
  • glenr79
    glenr79 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    bananas are awesome!! Especially for a pre-workout meal to give you energy while you work out, since it is a simple carb and can give you instant energy, and also afterwards with a protein shake to restore the glycogen stores in your muscles to give your muscles the energy to perform again the next day.... since it is fast absorbing it can get into the broken down muscle quick right after you workout.. also will help facilitate the absorption of the protein into the muscle if used in conjunction with protein right after a workout :P
  • Sixalicious
    Sixalicious Posts: 283 Member
    Options

imo...WAY too many

How so?
  • _Timmeh_
    _Timmeh_ Posts: 2,096 Member
    Options
    Wouldn't you get tired of eating them everyday? I eat a banana with my breakfast, but after 3 or 4 days I have to mix it up with something else.
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options

imo...WAY too many

How so?

high calorie and high sugar for me...like I said...they are fine...good potassium, etc but 2 or 3 a day is too much sugar and calories for what you get
  • Lesa_Sass
    Lesa_Sass Posts: 2,213 Member
    Options

imo...WAY too many

How so?

3 a day is 300 calories and loads of sugar. I banana a day is plenty. But, if that is how you choose to spend your calories, that is your decision.