How long can I run?

Options
I really want to start jogging, But it's weird because i don't know how long i can jog for, I weight 248, and i feel as though people will think I'm fat and pathetic for jogging 20 seconds and then stopping because I'm too tired.

How long can you jog/run?

Replies

• DreamiJeani
    Options
    20 seconds is 20 seconds faster then someone on the couch :) Try to push yourself to jog for the 20 seconds then walk for a minute then jog for the 20 seconds again and walk for another minute. Build yourself up. To anyone on the outside it will look like interval training :) You can do it!
  • Chagama
    Chagama Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    1) Never worry about what people think. Every race I run, 5K, half marathon, marathon, I'm always at the back. On the track at the gym, everyone passes me by. I don't care, I have my own goals, and that's all I worry about.

2) Start with the Couch to 5K program. It's great for beginners, it starts with a mixture of walking and a little running, and gradually builds up the running.

Good luck
  • busyPK
    busyPK Posts: 3,788 Member
    Options
    I know it's easier said than done, but don't focus on what others "might" think, just do you. I can now jog 15 minutes straight and 3 months ago I couldn't go longer than 1 minute without a break. If I can do it, you can too. Don't bump up the speed too much and do 30 seconds jogging (5.4ish mph depending on how that feels) and then walk 1 minute and try it again. Do intervals will not only burn a lot of calories, but it will make it easier to go longer in the near future. Then after a few days of what, or a week bump it up to 45 seconds jog and 1 minute walk or whatever interval feels right. :smile:
  • tracysway
    tracysway Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    When I started (36 pounds heavier) I could barely run for 1 min at 5mph. Now I can run 4 miles at 6.5. Just takes time to condition your body and lungs. I say go for it and who cares what other people think.
  • IRun4Me_12
    IRun4Me_12 Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    I second the Couch 2 5k program! I started in the beginning of January, barely able to jog for 30 seconds. I jogged a half mile this week - with no walking breaks! If I can do it - you can do it!! Just go at your own pace, and don't worry about anyone else. You are doing much more than anyone sitting back watching you.
  • lizard053
    lizard053 Posts: 2,344 Member
    Options
    I'm lucky if I can run for a minute at 4.5mph on a treadmill. Put me on the street, and probably less than that. I only weigh 186! If you really want to do it, just go for it! Do the best you can, and try to beat your own records every time. The best person to compete against is yourself!

If you're really interested in starting to run, search couch to (or 2) 5K. A variety of programs out there, designed to take you from not running at all, to being able to run a 5k.
  • IRun4Me_12
    IRun4Me_12 Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    I forgot to mention, I use the Ease into 5k App. I love it!
  • amcgahagan
    Options
    I am on couch to 5k week two. I am currently 236 lbs. Yesterday I ran for a minute and a half with out feeling winded!!! You can do it. Do the program. It works no matter your size.
  • jrich1
    jrich1 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    I am 270lbs now and I can run for 45min+.. just because I worked up to it..
  • Stompp
    Stompp Posts: 216
    Options
    couch to 5k! Do it!
  • scapez
    scapez Posts: 2,018 Member
    Options
    C25K. YES.:drinker:
  • kd_mazur
    kd_mazur Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    Check out the book "Run your butt off"
    It is similar to couch to 5k, it outlines a program where you start from walking and incorporate running into the workout.

...and don't worry about what others think of you outside or at the gym, they are prob more focused on thier goals than on you anyway:)
  • cnhanson
    Options
    If I saw you outside jogging I would think you were awesome!
  • Mandykinz2008
    Mandykinz2008 Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    Totally recommend C25K..when I started I couldn't even run 30 seconds..now I can run 2 miles! You can do it!!
  • marquesajen
    Options
    I always think of my friend's story in situations like these. He was very overweight for a long time and one day he decided he was going to go running. He ran one block and walked back, exhausted. Next day same thing. He kept running one block until he could run two. Then three. Gradually he ran longer distances and slowly dropped weight. Today he is healthy and runs like he was born doing it. He runs marathons, 10k races, ultra marathons, whatever he wants. It doesn't matter what people are thinking if they see you stop. You're going places and that is all that matters.
  • EricNCSU
    EricNCSU Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    I can go 1.5-2.0 minutes now, but when I first started, 15-30 seconds. No shame in that. Gotta start somewhere. You can do it!
  • sevencallmemom
    sevencallmemom Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    I ran for 15 minutes on the treadmill yesterday. It was only at 4.5, but for me that was running and I could not believe that I could keep it up for 15 minutes. LOL A few weeks ago I was amazed I could do a full minute. Start with what you can do now and work your way up, girl! You can do this!
  • minnesota_deere
    minnesota_deere Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    until it hurts and than add 10 minutes.
  • scs143
    scs143 Posts: 2,190 Member
    Options
    When I started c25k in August- I weighed 269 lbs. It's 6 months later. I weigh 234. I run 3x a week and anywhere from 3-5 miles at a time. I run 5 miles in 1 hour. I think c25k is an awesome program for those who haven't run before. It eases you right in.
  • reaolliemama
    reaolliemama Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    Do you think that someone is pathetic if they can't run more than 20 seconds? Probably not, neither do other people! I prefer to think they admire my willpower and perseverance. If they do, GREAT! If they don't, SCREW 'em!