2nd Day and already fell off....

Options

Replies

• ymaisred
    ymaisred Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I recommend just recording your meals for the first week and doing something like trying to get your 8/8 (8 - 8 ozs glasses of water). Once you see how bad your doing you have a point of reference.
  • catic
    catic Posts: 156
    Options
    TRy the 80/20 rule. Be good 80% and "splurge" 20%. I dom't beleive in cutting out things you enjoy all together, it's not healthy. And even though yes everything in moderation, I HATE that word bc my brother in law uses in like a mantra and it drives me nuts. :)

add me as a friend, as you I struggle daily also. :)
  • chiv123
    Options
    I recommend just recording your meals for the first week and doing something like trying to get your 8/8 (8 - 8 ozs glasses of water). Once you see how bad your doing you have a point of reference.

I wish I would have done this. I'm curious now how many calories I was eating.
  • CaptainMFP
    CaptainMFP Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    "Well the first days are the hardest days"
    -- The Grateful Dead

What you are doing (by trying to change your diet, I mean) is behavioral modification. The closer you are to your old behaviors, the harder they are to escape and the easier it is to give in. I know that I came close to quitting on day 3, and after five days didn't log for two because the restrictions were driving me nuts. (Keep in mind I was well over 2000 calories a day...I found THAT too restrictive!) So I totally know where you are coming from.

I focus on three key points at all times.
    (1) Just because I may have gone over a little doesn't mean I have to go over a lot. The more excessive I am the more I flirt with returning to bad habits that I left for a reason.
    (2) Even if I do go over a lot on one day the world won't end and my progress won't halt. I indulged for two days at our local rib cookoff in September. Was I up 5 - 6 lbs. for a few days afterward? Yes! But within 10 days I hit a new low.
    (3) Planning is the key to success. This takes time to get used to doing, so it probably won't work for you right away, but it is something to work toward. I plan every day's meals out at least one day in advance. I still have to make adjustments, but if everything is planned out in advance it's harder for me to deviate a lot.

Hope this helps. Good luck and don't give up! You only lose this game if you quit!
  • monicalynne68
    monicalynne68 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    If you don't enjoy the things you like once in a while you'll feel deprived and not stick with it. Just don't do it all the time. Consider it a special treat. Jump back on the horse tomorrow and you'll be fine.
  • KarenBoster
    KarenBoster Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    First off Happy Valentine's Day! Love yourself for being human on a holiday. Every day is a new beginning so don't give up! Okay you indulged today. Don't beat yourself up. Do some extra exercise to use up some of the extra calories. Don't forget you are suppose to use up your required calories and your exercise calories. If you are active you will be surprised how many calories you actually need to eat.
  • MountainMia
    MountainMia Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    I am an all or nothing kind of gal myself. I had to get past looking at this like a diet and start using it as a tool to build a healthy lifestyle. My only rule with this application is to LOG EVERYTHING. I can do that 100% every day. You can do this!
  • JacksMom12
    JacksMom12 Posts: 1,044 Member
    Options
    I yo yo dieted for a long time... And never could really lose weight until I stopped doing that "all or nothing" mentality. I used to "blow" it by eating one bad thing so I'd say screw it and binge the rest of the day, constantly going to bed with promises to myself that I'd " start tomorrow". Well, tomorrow never came. Think about it, if you dropped your phone would you say "well I guess I better just smash it until it's broken now." no!
  • bzmommy34
    bzmommy34 Posts: 229 Member
    Options

I wish I would have done this. I'm curious now how many calories I was eating.

This is great advice and something I could really learn from. Of course all of the posts have been great and SO very appreciated!
  • bzmommy34
    Options
    Jumped off not fell off.

Touche! :wink:
  • bzmommy34
    Options
    I read once; when you get a flat tire do you get out and flatten the other 3 or do you change the flat? Falling off the wagon is just a flat tire, it doesn't have to ruin your day.

I LOVE this - thank you!
  • slayerdan
    Options
    So I had a wee bit of a melt down this morning after finding out that Caribou Coffee was having a bogo for Valentine's Day. A friend and I enjoyed a very not-figure-friendly bogo drink and of course I just had to have the reduced fat banana bread that was only 300+ calories - YIKES! Of course then since I had already induldged I decided to enjoy a large amount of Tostitos bite size chips with half a can of Fritos Jalapeno Cheddar cheese dip. :( Extremely frustrated and desperately need friends for encouragement AND for inspiration. Will you share your best secret of success? Pretty PLEASE?!
    You haven't committed yourself yet. Till you do, then you may just keep overdoing the calories.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

This exactly. My friends list will attest that I will give encouragement and even help via private message, but when someone "messes up" second day then turns to MFP asking for secrets to success, well, you simply arent ready or serious about doing what you need to do. MFP is for support, not to give you the motivation to do for yourself. I wish you a ton of success, when you take it seriously and dont say things like "of course I just had to have it".....you did that already and youre out of shape. Now its time to be serious. You can do anything you want to.

When you decide you want to.

D
  • andrejjorje
    andrejjorje Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    This...

[/quote]You haven't committed yourself yet. Till you do, then you may just keep overdoing the calories.
  • Bagman12002
    Bagman12002 Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    Its a change in lifestyle and it will take time to change in the old bad habbits for new good habbits. :smile:
  • mowink55
    Options
    I agree........don't beat yourself up. Enjoy the indulgence and vow to do a little more exercise. This should be a lifestyle change, not a one day thing.
  • tradingfoods
    tradingfoods Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    hi I was wondering how many others blew it yesterday. I did and have beat up on my self all day. But I realize that each day we are given a brand new day. So we can just start over each day. I also realized that this is a lifestyle change and It will be for the rest of my life,so if I fall one day. Just don't use that as an excuse to quit, but get right back on it. You can do it. Good luck !!!
  • mashallej
    Options
    I think whoever stated commitment totally has me pegged! It's my first day and I was doing horrible this afternoon. The all or nothing mentality is the one I have to drop as well. Thank you for posting this...my day 2 has to be better!
  • charliedingus
    Options
    there really isn't a secret: eat well, move your body. a healthy weight will be a consequence of a healthy lifestyle.
  • bzmommy34
    Options
    So I had a wee bit of a melt down this morning after finding out that Caribou Coffee was having a bogo for Valentine's Day. A friend and I enjoyed a very not-figure-friendly bogo drink and of course I just had to have the reduced fat banana bread that was only 300+ calories - YIKES! Of course then since I had already induldged I decided to enjoy a large amount of Tostitos bite size chips with half a can of Fritos Jalapeno Cheddar cheese dip. :( Extremely frustrated and desperately need friends for encouragement AND for inspiration. Will you share your best secret of success? Pretty PLEASE?!
    You haven't committed yourself yet. Till you do, then you may just keep overdoing the calories.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

This exactly. My friends list will attest that I will give encouragement and even help via private message, but when someone "messes up" second day then turns to MFP asking for secrets to success, well, you simply arent ready or serious about doing what you need to do. MFP is for support, not to give you the motivation to do for yourself. I wish you a ton of success, when you take it seriously and dont say things like "of course I just had to have it".....you did that already and youre out of shape. Now its time to be serious. You can do anything you want to.

When you decide you want to.

D

I don't want to feel as if I have to edit myself on this board. I wrote what was on my mind and I will not apologize for being real. I thank you for your honesty and I do know your points are valid. However, if MFP is meant only for those who are perfect in their journey to a healthier lifestyle and for those who never choose to eat something "because they just had to have it", then maybe it's not the place for me. As a 2x breast cancer survivor with an auto immune disease, I do take my health extremely serious and I am doing my best to make the commitment to get my body in balance. I have weaknesses that I am taking steps at overcoming. Again, thanks for the feedback and I do know there are people out there that need people who feel as you do for their support. I WILL do this for myself.
  • Amy911Gray
    Amy911Gray Posts: 685 Member
    Options
    You are going to be just fine...You can do this! Really you can! And you are serious--you shouldn't have to qualify that. You are serious because you are here. Coming here shows that you know you have a job to do.

You will find that there are mean people on this site...not too many. If you plan on eating "whatever" after you complete the weight loss, I suggest that you try to fit these things in after a couple of months. Just once in a while, on an ordinary day--to make it extraordinary.

Me personally, I plan to have cake, ice cream, desserts, and all of those fun things like "out to eat" treats. So every once in a while, I exercise more so that I can fit it in.

Here's the thing...after a couple of months, watching your intake becomes second nature, your exercise becomes a "me" time that you don't want to give up. It's really hard during those first two months, but the successes that you have in the first couple of months really set the stage for the months that come after. I'm really glad you started after the holidays; they were pretty hard for me with the pb fudge and cookies. I didn't gain but I didn't feel like I was "sticking to the plan" either. I will not feel bad about the piece of triple chocolate cake I ate in celebration of a co-worker's promotion to VP. I will always remember that day (and the cake was delicious).

So what if you had a bad day. Everyone has a bad day. But you can do this...Really you can do this...I'm around (a little less a round as I used to be). Feel free to add me as a friend...I'll look for you and cheer you on, pick you up when you are down, and show you through photos that this will be the best time of your life...the time you said, "Hold on World, I've got something to do for me right now."