eating your burned calorie! Really!

Replies

• Huffdogg
    Huffdogg Posts: 1,934 Member
    post-workout refeeds should ideally be high in protein and quality carbs. A big fat chicken salad, tuna salad made with greek yogurt rather than mayo, a pork tenderloin sandwich made on hearty whole grain bread, wild rice with red and black beans, etc.
  • MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    ii SAY DON;T EAT all OF THEM BUT YOU CAN GO A bit over with the extra calories burned.. ALSO, I agree just listen to your body!

The old 'listen to your body' is kind of crap. You can convince yourself that you're not hungry and don't need to eat, and the body won't always scream at you to eat anyway. Eat the calories back and make adjustments based on what you see on the scale and on the measuring tape. Measurements are vital because your body won't always show you what it's doing in terms of poundage.

I didn't get this fat by convincing myself I'm not hungry!

No doubt some people can convince themselves of this, though, and certainly caffeine and prescription diet pills can make a person think they aren't hungry or tired out when they're really both.
  • gazerofthestars
    gazerofthestars Posts: 255 Member
    Eat if you're hungry. Don't, otherwise. It's simple as that. As long as you're maintaining a calorie deficit, you will lose weight.
    Personally, I always eat at least half of them back and I've dropped pounds steadily.
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Didn't a whole lot of folks get fat overeating because they "listened to their body" regarding hunger?

I choose listening to my body over feeling weak, run down and stupid when I eat too little.
  • rovernio
    rovernio Posts: 157
    if i would be eating my working out calories it would be a 3500 cal feast so i never do
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    i don't eat them.... I DRINK THEM!!! PROTEIN SHAKE!!! DISREGARD GLASSWARE!!!

2012-02-10_10-54-46_470.jpg

lol, didn't your mother ever tell you not to drink straight from the blender? what if a blade came loose and you swallowed it?
  • I am supposed to eat 1200 per day, if i work out I will eat 1400-1500. The calories burned during exercise I thinks is a guilde line and not everyone burns the same amount of calories. I was not losing any weight when i ate back all of my exercise calories. I am 49 years old and I also think that has to do with calories burned. Unfortunately as you get older your metabolism slows bummer.
  • kryptonitekelly
    kryptonitekelly Posts: 335 Member

Honestly...that's the cutest picture ever!
  • kryptonitekelly
    post-workout refeeds should ideally be high in protein and quality carbs. A big fat chicken salad, tuna salad made with greek yogurt rather than mayo, a pork tenderloin sandwich made on hearty whole grain bread, wild rice with red and black beans, etc.

Now i'm hungry!
  • Sarena3
    Sarena3 Posts: 49 Member
    There are so many benefits to regular exercise I can't even remember all of them. It improves brain functions, circulation (which makes for prettier skin) better muscle tone, better sleep, more ease of movement, stamina for long days, less depression, less stress, calmer moods, increases body's ability to heal and of course easier appetite and weight control. So exercise is a goal in and of itself and to exercise well, the body needs to be appropriately fueled.
  • SUPERhecticMOM
    SUPERhecticMOM Posts: 61 Member
    I think it's different for everyone but I compare it to a car. If you are driving your normal route to and from work you use a set amount of gas....but if you want to take a road trip you add more gas to the tank. When your calories are allotted they are already set up to give enough "gas" to do your regular day of life but if you add in a trip to the gym/extra exercise you're going to need the extra "gas" to fuel your body for the "road trip"
  • mixedfeelings
    mixedfeelings Posts: 904 Member
    I'm experimenting at the moment. I've never been able to eat much without putting on weight. I'm 5'10", my calorie goal is 1420 but I stick to around 1200, when I exercise I eat a bit more but not the full amount as I'm not hundred percent sure I'm burning what the site says I am, next month I'm going to purchase a heart rate monitor to track calories burnt that way. Even then I don't think I will eat all the extra calories I'm given but I do use it to my advantage when I know I won't be able to control my calorific intake as much.

Forgot to mention, I do try and up my protein when working out, and my extra calories when I don't need them, well I usually have milk/soya milk.
  • healthyliving_girl
    healthyliving_girl Posts: 290 Member
    I eat my exercise calories 5 out of 7 days a week. I have lost 34 lbs since July - surpassed my original goal weight and shooting to lose 5 more. :)

It can work. I think as long as you aren't hungry, then it's okay to not eat them...not all calories are equal. If you eat "more clean" foods, then you will fill up without eating the exercise calories back. Salads, vegetables, and fruits will tend to fill you up even though they have little calories. However, you may find yourself more hungry if you snack on crackers and what have you, meaning you may "need" to eat more, in order to not feel like you're starving our body.

I played around with the numbers at first. In the beginning, my goal was 1650 a day and I worked out in order to eat 2000 calories a day. And many days I still eat that much, but some days I can get away with a net of 1400 because I ate more "Clean" that day.

You'll find what works for you.
  • kryptonitekelly
    I'm experimenting at the moment. I've never been able to eat much without putting on weight. I'm 5'10", my calorie goal is 1420 but I stick to around 1200, when I exercise I eat a bit more but not the full amount as I'm not hundred percent sure I'm burning what the site says I am, next month I'm going to purchase a heart rate monitor to track calories burnt that way. Even then I don't think I will eat all the extra calories I'm given but I do use it to my advantage when I know I won't be able to control my calorific intake as much.

Forgot to mention, I do try and up my protein when working out, and my extra calories when I don't need them, well I usually have milk/soya milk.

Wow big difference...

I am 5`2 and I eat 1200cals...You're 5`10 and stick to only 1200? I find 1200 is too little for me somedays....
  • runninghome
    runninghome Posts: 33 Member

lol, didn't your mother ever tell you not to drink straight from the blender? what if a blade came loose and you swallowed it?

WHAT? lol. beware of blender blades!
  • kryptonitekelly
    If you don't want to eat back all of your calories, at least eat some of it back...
    Have a chicken sandwich...protein shake...etc. High protein stuff will be best asit fills you for longer. Also it helps repair muscles and builds muscles...

also dont forget, when you build muscle, you weight heavier...
  • kryptonitekelly
    If you don't want to eat back all of your calories, at least eat some of it back...
    Have a chicken sandwich...protein shake...etc. High protein stuff will be best asit fills you for longer. Also it helps repair muscles and builds muscles...

also dont forget, when you build muscle, you weigh heavier...

Sugar not sure why I clicked quote to change a spelling mistake
  • Sometimes yes, sometimes no. I usually am workingout after I eat everything for the day so If I am over my 1200 cals I eat them if not......
  • erikblock
    erikblock Posts: 230 Member

and it is hard to burn 600 ;)! for me anyways...1 hour at the gym and I only burn about 200...

Are you sure you're only burning 200 in an hour? That sounds fishy. Even a very thin person--like 100 pounds or so--walking at a slow pace (say 3 mph) will burn close to that in an hour. What kind of cardio are you doing?
  • runninghome
    runninghome Posts: 33 Member
    Wow, so many post, so much great information!!!! I feel success runnin' through me! This is what I think I will try. On days I don't exercise I will eat 1200 and on days I do I will eat 1500 to 1600. What thoughts would you guys have on that?