eating your burned calorie! Really!

Replies

• KareninCanada
    KareninCanada Posts: 959 Member
    If you joined MFP with the intention of following the MFP plan the way it is designed, then yes, you would eat back at least most of those calories. That is how the site is set up to work - it starts you at a very low calorie level based on the assumption that you'll do no exercise, and then gives you extra calories when you "earn" them, in order to refuel your body and keep your body going strong.

Some people do eat them, some don't. They both tend to be successful at losing weight. And if both ways work, I'd rather lose weight eating 1800/day than starving at 1200/day. :wink:
  • CuteAndCurvy83
    CuteAndCurvy83 Posts: 570 Member
    I think it really depends on YOUR body. Some days I ate maybe 10% of my exercise calories, other days I ate 100% it all depended on if I was hungry, I lost 40lbs in 6 months (with some set backs) before I got pregnant, So it's what worked for me. Trial and error with everything is best.
  • hiker282
    hiker282 Posts: 983 Member
    ii SAY DON;T EAT all OF THEM BUT YOU CAN GO A bit over with the extra calories burned.. ALSO, I agree just listen to your body!

The old 'listen to your body' is kind of crap. You can convince yourself that you're not hungry and don't need to eat, and the body won't always scream at you to eat anyway. Eat the calories back and make adjustments based on what you see on the scale and on the measuring tape. Measurements are vital because your body won't always show you what it's doing in terms of poundage.
  • kryptonitekelly
    kryptonitekelly Posts: 335 Member
    I think it really depends on YOUR body. Some days I ate maybe 10% of my exercise calories, other days I ate 100% it all depended on if I was hungry, I lost 40lbs in 6 months (with some set backs) before I got pregnant, So it's what worked for me. Trial and error with everything is best.

True.
    Some people just can't eat back those calories...I know i can on some days. But on other days I just am not hungry! Maybe because I exercise in the evening....maybe I should eat more through the day, then burn those off.
  • lind3400
    lind3400 Posts: 557 Member
    I go by my body needs 1200 cals period if i burn 500 I only ate 700 which is obviously not enough...as long as u get your 1200....I never eat all my exercise cals cuz thats a lot to try to fit back in but you should prob get as close as possible....but don't eat if your not hungry
  • kryptonitekelly
    Please take a few minutes to look around the site and familiarise yourself with the SEARCH function. This is a great place to start as there is a new thread on this same subject almost EVERY DAY.

Chill!!!
  • lind3400
    lind3400 Posts: 557 Member
    Please take a few minutes to look around the site and familiarise yourself with the SEARCH function. This is a great place to start as there is a new thread on this same subject almost EVERY DAY.

No need to be rude....
  • AntWrig
    AntWrig Posts: 2,273 Member

True.
    Some people just can't eat back those calories...I know i can on some days. But on other days I just am not hungry! Maybe because I exercise in the evening....maybe I should eat more through the day, then burn those off.
    Correction some people refuse to eat back their calories because they believe they will HINDER progress. In reality they are doing just that by not eating back their calories.

Good luck with your fitness goals in 2012.
  • AntWrig
    AntWrig Posts: 2,273 Member

No need to be rude....
    He is right.
  • runninghome
    runninghome Posts: 33 Member
    It is not hard to burn 600 calories in 45 minutes of serious cardio. If you do not eat those calories your body will go into starvation mode and could potentially do damage. Remember it is not about losing the weight as fast as possible, but creating and then maintaining a lifelong change in the way you eat and exercise.
    and it is hard to burn 600 ;)! for me anyways...1 hour at the gym and I only burn about 200...

I just checked several site and each gave me between 600-800. It can't be that off?
  • joanthemom8
    joanthemom8 Posts: 375 Member
    I just wrote a comment related to this..... MFP would give me more than 2x the calories burned for some things (like the stationary bike) than what the equipment at the gym did... and that equipment was measuring my heart rate. So today, I edited the amount of calores burned (on my MFP tracking) to what actually shows on the gym equipment for me. That way, I won't be temped to eat more calories than I actually burned.
    Good luck!!!!
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    I eat them because I am thoroughly hungry after working out. I have not had any trouble losing weight while eating them. Works for me!
  • runninghome
    Hi, I'm new to this concept of eating your exercise calories. I thought that to lose weight it's all about calories in < calories out. If you're happy with your allotted calories for the day then why exercise, only to eat it all back- other than to tone up once the fat is out f the way? Obv it makes you feel better but from a pure 'weight loss' perspective, how/ why does this work?

my question as well
  • TeresaC79
    TeresaC79 Posts: 316 Member
    Didn't a whole lot of folks get fat overeating because they "listened to their body" regarding hunger?
  • Rayman79
    Rayman79 Posts: 2,009 Member
    Hey, I am 'chilled'. I was not being rude, I was simply suggesting the search function as a valuable tool to a new member.

I think I contribute a lot of helpful, constructive and supportive comments to this forum. Next time you want to throw stones, look for a better target.
  • kryptonitekelly

No need to be rude....
    He is right.

Some people aren't that good with websites...and flicking through other's people's posts can be a hassel sometimes, cos sometimes they just damn long...asking your own questions ad getting your own answers helps you understand a lot more....the dude didn't have to be so mean.
  • kryptonitekelly
    It is not hard to burn 600 calories in 45 minutes of serious cardio. If you do not eat those calories your body will go into starvation mode and could potentially do damage. Remember it is not about losing the weight as fast as possible, but creating and then maintaining a lifelong change in the way you eat and exercise.
    and it is hard to burn 600 ;)! for me anyways...1 hour at the gym and I only burn about 200...

I just checked several site and each gave me between 600-800. It can't be that off?
    Nah. You probably worked really hard...I slack :P
  • sjtreely
    sjtreely Posts: 1,014 Member

My experience is MFP if very much Santa Claus. Without exception, it awards me more calories burned over my HRM every time. Every single time. The longer I exercise, the wider the range. It has disagreed with my HRM 250+ calories.

I'd suggest what others have suggested ... eat if you're hungry and if you're only using MFP as your calorie burned calculator, don't eat them all.

• runninghome

Sorry about that. I should have done that.
  • kryptonitekelly
    Hey, I am 'chilled'. I was not being rude, I was simply suggesting the search function as a valuable tool to a new member.

I think I contribute a lot of helpful, constructive and supportive comments to this forum. Next time you want to throw stones, look for a better target.

It was the way you wrote it with the capitalisation of words.