Any roller skaters.

Options
13»

Replies

• MsMarlaJean
    MsMarlaJean Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    Wow! That's a good calorie burn and your having fun on top of it all! I love quad skating...used to skate all over the neighborhood all day long as a child and when I was a senior in highschool (many moons ago!) I worked at Sonic on rollerskates.

I have used rollerblades in my 20s and early 30s as well and loved it too, however I would always get odd bruises on my ankles and such...you just don't have quite as much support and if you're like me with weak ankles...well, you get the pic.

I live on an island so we don't have a lot of stuff including a skating rinks, although we do have a new skate park geared for skateboards and I recently found out our Parks and Recreation center does a rollersakting session on the weekends...I'm gonna have to go check it out! We do have a rollerderby group that started up not too long ago, seems it is making a comeback for sure...

Any ideas on getting pavement quads for outdoor rollerskating?
  • amwoidyla
    amwoidyla Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    Look at all the roller girls!

I stopped playing about 2 years ago, but still take my skates out when the weather is nice. I moved to a city that doesn't even have a roller rink!
  • nenshali
    nenshali Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    I started rollerblading just a week ago again (used to ride every few weeks, but not as a workout, just for fun)

I am riding about 12.2 km (7.8 miles) in about 40 minutes. In this time I burn about 400 kcal, driving between 16.1-17.7 km/h (10.0 - 11.0 mph)
    But I hope I get faster again and/or can drive longer.. I'm still a little out of shape in comparison to what I could do :(
    I used to ride that round with more energy.. now it's really draining.
  • jlynnm70
    jlynnm70 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    we go as a family every Sunday - (actually met my hubby at the rink 12 years ago) - We go for a 4 hour session -but I only log 2 hours on MFP because it seems to be "high"

I quad skate - always have - even taught lessons for a while - and if you are new to skating or haven't done it in a while - I recommend Quads over Blades - just is easier on the ankles and knees until you relearn your balance.

You can get decent skates for about $100-$150 bucks online. My daughters most recent pair (gosh their feet grow fast) just arrived, so she will be on new wheels this Sunday.
  • archintrain
    archintrain Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Quads all the way!

Grew up living my weekends at the local rink when I was in middle/high school... lived in quads...

Now.. I am Freshmeat for a roller derby team in NJ...

Love skating... as for calories burned? No clue... all I know is I work up one heck of a sweat!!