calling all people with a SPACE between your thighs

Options

Replies

• StrongGwen
    StrongGwen Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    working on getting mine back! I don't expect to have a space when I am standing, but I often sit with my knees together and feet in the chair or on the couch. One night after months of working out diligently and losing 40 lbs, body fat around 22%, I looked and noticed a space between my thighs! It was so surprising that I passed my hand thru the space several times just to see if it was real, stood up and sat back down to see if it was STILL there, and it was! I remember laughing out loud and saying to myself, WOW, my thighs are actually leaner! I will never have stick legs, thank goodness, but I got where I wanted to be. Now working to get back to that place, but how I let myself get off track is another story...
  • nickyherg
    Options
    I am 5'5" 138 and have a space between my thighs but I have wide hips. I would much rather have a lower body fat % than a space. You look great so who cares about a space.
  • BlaireV
    BlaireV Posts: 137
    Options
    It really depends on bone structure. I'm just under 5'7" tall and weigh 140 lbs, and I have a gap between my thighs, which I attribute to my hips which are very wide.
  • iuangina
    iuangina Posts: 691 Member
    Options
    Why are people so worried about this? I often question what is in the SPACE between the ears when we worry about things like this that don't really matter when we are already healthy and look great!
  • monipie
    monipie Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    i have had it at 122 and below. i am 129 now and don't have it- yet. my hips are wide but my lower body is also pretty big from heavy squats and sprinting etc. when i finally got to where i had a space between my thighs- everyone was telling me that i looked to thin, even though i was pretty muscular...i guess you can't win em all. oh and i am 5'6" for reference purposes.
  • brittaney10811
    brittaney10811 Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    i think that it also depends on how wide hips are genetically. if a persons bone structure sets them at wide hips and they are thin, they're likely to have a space. if a persons hips are narrow, regardless of thin legs, there may be no space.
  • nothingisred
    Options
    I remember when I was quite young watching an episode of Will and Grace where they're at a wedding and Jack says something like "and now it's time for everyone to hit the dancefloor, except for those of you whose thighs rub together when you walk, there'll be cake for you in a minute."

It had never ever occured to me that people's thighs didn't rub together at least a little bit before that, and because I was quite young (perhaps about 10 or 12) at the time it made a huge impression on me and for years I thought I was a fat freak for not having a gap, even when I was at a healthy weight!

Now I actually find myself not liking the look of a gap, it's definitely not something I strive to achieve now! I think it's because I now associate it with underweight models though as it's the only time I've really seen anyone with a gap and so to me it seems unhealthy, even though I know as others have said it is entirely dependent on your bone structure. I think for a lot of people though it is very difficult to achieve at a healthy weight.
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    I got it when I started lifting heavy, especially deadlifts (my hammies are cut) and squats. When I was 102 pounds but skinny fat I didn't have it, now I do at 110. it really comes down to a lowered body fat %.
  • NotGoddess
    NotGoddess Posts: 1,198 Member
    Options
    I guess it depends on what you mean by thigh gap.
    I'm size 6, sometimes 4 and when I stand normally there's space between my thighs. It's not large, but my legs don't rub together when I walk anymore. It started to appear when I was 8 shifting to 6. I've had four kids so my hip/pelvic bones have shifted. I think if I'd not had kids I wouldn't have a gap at this stage.

If you mean the gap that appears because a woman's thighs are the same diameter as her calves, then I'd say I'm not at that stage and will never be. I've had to do a lot of running to get my thighs in shape and they have too much muscle on them to ever be pencil-thin. But I'm okay with that-I prefer a thicker thigh for my body shape.
  • BeeElMarvin
    BeeElMarvin Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    I'd probably have a space between my thighs if I didn't have this pile of "junk" there instead.
  • 3shirts
    3shirts Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    Man, the things you girls worry about!

I've literally NEVER noticed/thought about this before so I really don't think you need to worry!
  • kseier
    kseier Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    well i dont worry too much about appearances- it sucks when you walk in the summerr time and your shorts are getting all bunged up and you get a rash and have to slap on baby powder every 2 hours...UGH!!!

lower body fat here i come. i think i can get the inner thigh fat down some. FO SHO
  • HeaderAutumn
    HeaderAutumn Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I didn't have it even when I was a bean pole of a child. So I never will. I think as long as I don't have to use lotion to keep my thighs from chaffing, I'm good. :wink:
  • 10acity
    10acity Posts: 798 Member
    Options
    Right on spot-reducing fat. HOWEVER, my body tends to pocket fat on the inner thighs too, and the only thing I have ever found to really work those muscles to *noticeably* tone it up is the leg sled/leg press. [The machine where you lay back and push with your feet on a platform to move the desired weight up & down.] If you position your feet with heels together & toes out, it works the inner thigh muscles. Try it & let me know! :)
  • ladykate7
    ladykate7 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    I didn't know it was a genetic/ hip/ body structure thing, but I can roll with that as part of the explaination. BF% has to be part of it too.

When I'm in okay shape, around 20-22 bf%. I start to really notice it. My upper legs beef up in front and the inner area thins out. I'm at 23% noe and its starting to come back. Never even thought about a gap until I'd gotten slamming hot for a summer. That was when I was rollerblading ALL the time, in college days, we're talking 4-5 hours a night a couple nights a week, pushing hard with a pack of friends trying to see how far away we could skate from home.

After college, and office weight gain, and subsuquent weight loss, I'm getting the gap back with jogging and biking and Burr Lenords Pure Barre Method dvd.
  • 2012x
    2012x Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I have tiny gap!!!

This what i want, i cant see it happening, even when i was slim i had huge thighs
  • AntShanny
    AntShanny Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    I don't get the obsession with a "thigh gap". One of the girls I work with has it...her legs are pretty much the same diameter from ankle to thigh. Not an attractive attribute to me...I'd much rather have some definition and shape to my legs, even if that means my thighs touch!
  • amicklin
    amicklin Posts: 452
    Options
    This has more to do with how your legs are set more than the fat on them, a lot of people (even at a size 2) would not have a gap due to the way their legs and hip joint meets. So don't focus on this or make it your goal as your body may not allow you to get to that even with little to no body fat.

^^ THIS
  • sarahgilmore
    sarahgilmore Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    That's something people ASPIRE to? :noway:
  • dumb_blondes_rock
    dumb_blondes_rock Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    I think it all has to do with your hips....if your hips are wide, you will have the space in between when you drop the weight....if your hips are more narrow then there isn't as much room in between to make room for the space.....the only reason i would ever want space is so my shorts wouldn't ride up or so i wouldn't get heat rash, other than those, i wouldn't worry too much about it.