Question about forgiveness

Options
124»

Replies

• knittnponder
    knittnponder Posts: 1,954 Member
    Options
    I don't think anyone has a right to be forgiven just because they're related (or any other reason for that matter). I've chosen to forgive some awful things my dad did but I sure didn't trust him. And it wasn't because it was his "right" but because I needed to be free of it.
  • Pifflesmom
    Pifflesmom Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Forgiveness isn't about letting the other person off the hook; it's for letting you be able to continue on with your life without holding in anger and resentment. Having said that - it's something you must feel, not something you can force yourself to do and speaking from experience, it takes a lot of work.

Good luck to you.
  • Carrot1971
    Carrot1971 Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    Forgiveness is a very personal thing for everybody. I can forgive somebody but it doesn't mean I have to have a relationship with them or have them involved in my life. I have learned to forgive my mother for things she's done to me in my childhood. But, she is NOT the type of grandmother I want involved with my children. I forgive and move on.
  • kennethmgreen
    kennethmgreen Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    HELL NO!!!! I work for child protective services. You would not believe the horrors done to so many innocent children!
    I worked at a Children's Emergency Center for two years (home-based environment for abused and neglected kids) and worked with CPS often. So I've seen the horrors you are referring to. Helping kids start on the path toward forgiveness was some of the most meaningful work I've ever done. Forgiving can be empowering. For some, it is the first step toward freedom from the bondage of self-hate. For others, it is a last step toward letting go of long-held resentment.