Vegetables-- which ones to do you eat how do you prepare the

Options
13»

Replies

• Skiergal2
    Skiergal2 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    The easiest way to increase your vegetables is to add them to your favourite recipes. Cut them up small so it is easier to eat. There are great recipes in the Looney Spoons cookbook that I bought a couple of weeks ago. Most of the recipes are included in the food logs.
  • robot_potato
    robot_potato Posts: 1,535 Member
    Options
    Roasted asparagus. Drizzle with olive oil, sprinkle with pepper, bake at 425 for 15 mins or until slightly crispy. My favorite.
    Cut peppers and bake for 10 mins, you can use them instead of chips for dips etc.
    I mix a pack of lipton onion soup mix in a tub of sour cream, it makes awesome dip for raw veggies.
  • Zeromilediet
    Zeromilediet Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    Cauliflower can be a great substitute for mashed potatoes--cut florets and steam until tender, then mash with butter.
    Can also 'rice' raw cauliflower in the food processor, then cook in chicken broth; drain and serve. Much more nutritious than rice.
    Cut chunks of cauliflower core into 1/2 inch cubes and add to stew as sub for starchy potato.

Use spaghetti squash in place of pasta for an extra daily veg serving.

Roasted veg is great: cut sweet potato, butternut squash, carrot, parsnip, red onion into 1 inch chunks, toss with a dressing of 2 tbsp olive oil, 1 tbsp maple syrup, 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar; bake in open pan for 45 min or until tender at 400F If you like, can stir in florets of broccoli and quartered portabello mushrooms 1/2 way through cooking time.
  • BAMFMeredith
    BAMFMeredith Posts: 2,829 Member
    Options
    I seriously put minced garlic (I have this really fun garlic mincer gadget--I think I just like using it) on every veggie I cook. My son (he's 5) is SUPER picky. I mean it changes from one day to the next. But if I put some minced garlic in with the veggies while they steam, he's all over it!

I'm a big fan of steamfresh veggies, in the freezer section. 5 minutes in the microwave and they're ready. Throw a little Ms. Dash and some minched garlic on em (no matter what it is) and they're delish!