Do you log your meals/snacks before you actually eat them?

Options

Replies

• dawlschic007
    dawlschic007 Posts: 636 Member
    Options
    I do both. If it's a meal I've had before, then I usually log it in after I eat it. If I'm going to a new place though or unsure of calories then I look it up beforehand so I know how many calories each serving is so I eat the right portion size.

ETA - I use the app on my phone so I can log my food throughout the day, rather than at the end of the day. I just find that I'm more accurate that way since I tend to forget stuff if I do it after I get home from work.
  • astroub
    astroub Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    I just recently started doing this and have realized its really beneficial! I can balance my calories and micro/macros. This plans my day and allows me to adjust if necessary and helps me when planning supper! Love this idea! :love:
  • lissamok
    Options
    If I am at home and I have control of what I am eating, I plan 2-3 days ahead and if it's for a restaurant that has its nutritional values posted, I'll plan my meal there the morning of so I know what I have left in my calorie bank. I find that if I log after I've eaten, I'll go over in calories and this makes me feel more proactive about what I take in every day. It also allows me to plug in different types of food that will better round out my nutritional values for the day.
  • si_puedo
    si_puedo Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    i try to log in advance....usually in the morning, right after breakfast i'll log my planned lunch. after lunch, i'll log my planned dinner...that way if it's goes over my calorie goal, i'll make sure i can make smaller portions....
  • 987Runner
    Options
    I always log my day in advance, I might have extra snacks in the day which I will add as and when but everything else is pre logged. I have never gone over my calorie allowance doing it this way and I have lost 18lb since Jan 4th so definately working for me :happy: x

Good job on losing the weight!
  • CathLeenyLeen
    CathLeenyLeen Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I log before and sometimes I'll stop in the middle of eating and log so I know how many calories and keep myself in perspective and aware of what's going into my mouth.
  • chellehubcap
    Options
    I am logging as much of mine in before I eat it to see where all the values will be. Less carb/more protein etc.
  • love4fitnesslove4food_wechange
    Options
    li log almost everything to the best of my ability--then adjust once i know the details.
  • 2012asv
    2012asv Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    Usually just before eating so i can see how many calories it will be... to balance out the rest of the day.
  • adriana_hackney
    adriana_hackney Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I usually log before I eat. Usually while i'm making breakfast/lunch/dinner that way I know exactly what I use and I don't forget anything. If I don't eat as much as I plan, then I adjust.
  • CTK3989
    CTK3989 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Most of the time, I log my entire day in the morning, it helps me stay on track.
  • librarygoddess2
    librarygoddess2 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Frequently I'll log it just before I eat. If I make it ahead of time, I'll log it when I make it. But I do usually log what I'm eating before I eat, then adjust afterwards if I don't eat as much as planned.

Me too!
  • sollyn
    sollyn Posts: 179
    Options
    This is such a good idea! I am going to try this method.
    Thanks for the tip
  • Mara_ritzie
    Options
    I usually log my food before eating, this prevents me from over eating since I've already got all my measurements done and have a pretty clear idea on how many calories I'll be eating.
  • JaneyLoses-- Ido this sometimes. It helps keep me accountable. I can always make the alterations later.
  • princessputz
    princessputz Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    I prelog everything...I know I am going to eat it so yeah =)
  • Littlesparky09
    Options
    Always. I very rarely deviate.
  • Rodgers2008
    Options
    Sometimes I do but not very often.
  • samntha14
    samntha14 Posts: 2,084 Member
    Options
    sometimes so I can plan my meals for the day. But I don't hit submit until the end of the day and make adjustments if anything changes.
  • RAFValentina
    RAFValentina Posts: 1,231 Member
    Options
    I do it and it works brilliantly and makes sure I'm under and balanced BEFORE exercise and I can add more as I need/want after exercise!