my unsupportive family :(

Options
So .. Yesterday I tried talking to my family about cooking healthier and I got yelled at. Today I try again and my mom says "you are obsessed with food" I told her no I'm trying to become more healthy ! So I've never cooked before and don't even know the basics of anything (yeah I know thats just sad) no one in my family is willing to teach me either. Sad thing is at the beginning of the year my mom was telling me how we're going to change what we eat and that was great I was really excited . Now if I even mention anything healthy I get yelled at and lectured about how my mom works all day and that I understand, except I work more than her I even have two jobs . Looks like I'm on my own on this journey :/

Replies

• violette50
    violette50 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Change is difficult with eating. It sounds like your family isn't as committed as you are to a new eating plan. Try to buy some fruits /veggies and do what you can to learn to cook and add healthier foods to the things your family cooks. If they are serving something fattening, replace with some veggies, or a salad and a protein. Good luck!
  • hapoo100
    hapoo100 Posts: 940 Member
    Options
    Two suggestions that might work:
    1. Buy a healthy cook book and give it as a gift to your family. they might actually enjoy some healthy food
    2. Ask your family to teach you how to cook, or read about it.

Even if you have to journey alone, dont get discouraged, you are on the right track!

good luck
  • cmeade20
    cmeade20 Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    I taught myself how to cook it's not too difficult. Just tell mom you'll take care of feeding yourself from now on
  • Maria052007
    Maria052007 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately, you pointing our her insecurities by trying to be better and making her face her own pitfalls. I know going alone can make this harder.

But... You can learn to cook!!! Try getting some cookbooks like from weight watchers or biggest loser. The walk you through basics and teaches you how to swap stuff out!

Also, one day you can consider it a gift to have not learned to cook unhealthy foor in the first place! :)

Add me!! I lose to cook, so if you want any tips maybe I can help!
  • Kandygirl
    Kandygirl Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    you are never alone. you have a whole supportive family here on MFP
  • jcriscuolo
    jcriscuolo Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    Stick with this site and you will have all the support you need. It's tough when everyone around you is eating poorly. The key to eating well is planning and preparation. Fruits and vegetables are easy to prepare. Start learning to cook the easy stuff like grilled chicken. Try to use the MFP food diary to monitor calorie intake. Cooking isn't too hard. My wife started working a few years ago and I am doing the cooking for the family now. You can learn. It's not hard. And you mom will appreciate it even if you serve healthy foods. Keep checking in here for support. You can achieve your goals. Stay strong!
  • LaLee614
    Options
    You are doing so well. Sometime people don't want to change so even though you are ready they are not. You have done a great job in letting them know you want to be healthy so the door is open. If they want to change they will and you just be an example not in words but in action. maybe after seeing the change in you they might want to and they might not. You have support, your inner strength and people that are here are awesome. KEEP up the good work. Oh and anything you don't know youtube can teach you lol it is so true
  • jrusso28
    jrusso28 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    Growing up sucks !

Its time to stand on your own two legs and do it on your own.
    You can do it and your friends on MFP will support you on the journey.
    You cant rely on others to cook you healthy meals, or make you exercise.

Your mom has done the best she can, and chances are that she's just not ready to make a change.
    You cant force her, just as she cant force you.

Start cooking your own meals, it not that hard, actually you might enjoy it.
    I tend to cook on weekends and stock up for the week. Things like soups or meats and veggies for stir fry.
    Easy to make (lots of recipes on here at MFP, and on the net) and calories and nutritional info easy to calculate using MFP.
    Nothing is healthier than knowing what your putting into your own food.

Make an exercise schedule that you can realistically stick to (juggling your school and work etc...) then hold yourself accountable and stick to the schedule.

As the weeks and months go by, you will learn self discipline, you will learn some new recipes, cooking secrets that work for you, your body will start changing for the better, your health will improve, and your self esteem will blossom. Your a powder keg of possibilities, NEVER limit yourself to what others will do with or for you.

You want this, GO FOR IT!

We will all support your efforts, and watch in awe from the sidelines when you post your amazing progress pics ! :drinker:
  • lmalaschak
    lmalaschak Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    Ack. One thing you can do on the positive side is every time someone cooks something that IS healthy, give lots of compliments. There are probably quite a few websites on healthy cooking for beginners. Maybe you can read up a little bit, and then some evening offer to cook for the family. Maybe your mom would appreciate the help so much she'll forget to be annoyed.
  • GeneaCindy
    GeneaCindy Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    We are here for you! I am a terrible cook, but I'm learning. Crock pot cooking is super easy and relatively inexpensive. Check out Skinny Ms Slow Cooker (they are on FB). Also, a shout out for the Better Homes and Gardens New Cookbook - full of stuff for beginning cooks.

Crock pots are also good for busy people - start it in the morning and it's ready when you get home!

Good luck on your journey :drinker:

Add me if you want
  • Bevkus
    Bevkus Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    You cant change other people...change yourself...then be an example for other people.

Lots of learn to cook cook-books out there...buy one...stop preaching!
  • NatalieWinning
    NatalieWinning Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    Google "my plate" and see what a meal should look like. Add that to your knowledge of how your calories and food looks on MFP. And start googling how to cook! You can do it! Your Mom would LOVE a helping hand at meals. Once everyone realizes you are cooking maybe they will see this as you cooking instead of obcessed with food. Then possibly you can even start ordering up a grocery list because they know you will cook!
  • vvanm
    vvanm Posts: 157
    Options
    Parents and family often don't react in supportive ways. It's not that they want to sabotague you. Instead of getting on board and cheering you on they feel defensive, like they are doing their best and being criticized for not being a good parent. It sounds like you might be getting that reaction. Also when one family member starts changing and doing better it can often make the others feel worse because they feel anxiety about not doing well themselves. That makes them seem angry, but it's more complex than that. There are a million healthy recipies for you to explore on the internet, in cooking magazines like Cooking Light. No one has to teach you, just follow the directions and you will be an accomplished healthy cook in no time. If your Mom works you could take over some evening meals and make some low fat switches she doesn't even have to know about. Good luck with your journey. You are off to a great start and it's OK to be the role model for your family with or without their support :)
  • nikkilou1978
    nikkilou1978 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Look up recipies online or buy you a healthy cook book. Follow the instructions, it really is that simple. Don't try to make it more difficult than it really is. Most things are no harder to make than mac-n-cheese in a box. Most of my meals consist of things I can wrap in foil and throw in the oven.

Here's an easy healthy side dish (I usually pair it with baked chicken)

1 sweet potato
    I can't believe it's not butter spray
    2 tbs splenda
    Pumpkin pie spice

Peel and cube sweet potatoes. In a bowl, spray sweet potato with ICBINB spray, mix to coat. Sprinkle with splenda and stir. Sprinkle with pumpkin pie spice, more or less depending on your taste. Stir to coat. Wrap in foil, add a little water to the bottom to prevent burning. Put in a pan and bake @ 350 degrees for 30 minutes.

For a medium sweet potato it's only about 100 calories, and it tastes yummy!
  • jmv42
    jmv42 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I understand, I know my family has had a hard time with changing eating and cooking habits.

Try volunteering to cook for everyone, start with something simple (chef salad, a healthy pasta dish). This way, you are preparing food for them, not making them feel like they are being pressured into change. You are more like gifting them with a change.

Also, don't expect everyone to be able to jump into the change as wholeheartedly as you are. Try working on changing your lifestyle slowly, like one meal at a time (a healthy lunch each day) or changing one day a week (health Tuesdays). Little steps will make everything easier on everyone!

Keep up the effort! They will appreciate your ideas soon enough!
  • alegrria72
    Options
    I taught myself to cook a long time ago. My mom mostly made pre-packaged meals and by the time we were in High School I pretty much cooked for myself. Now I'm adjusting how I cook to keep the calories down and am learning how to prepare veggies I've never worked with. Recipe sites and cook books are good places to start. The one piece of advice I always give people is that you can't be afraid of making mistakes. Not everything you make will be fabulous but you'll never know until you try.
  • mem1086
    mem1086 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    you are never alone. you have a whole supportive family here on MFP

Bump!
  • jkestens63
    jkestens63 Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    Check out the Hungry Girl cookbooks. Her recipes are really easy and tasty.

As for learninghow to cook, just follow the recipes step by step and you will do fine. I never cooked up until a couple of years ago and now I create my own dishes!

Take care of yourself , worry about others later.
  • Jipples
    Jipples Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    You can do this......use the negativity as motivation. Theres tons of recipes on here and you can do it if you really want.