my unsupportive family :(

Options
2»

Replies

• margebouvier
    margebouvier Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    If you're still living at home, you might ask if you can have some "reserved" space in the fridge and/or cupboards that is yours alone. As for cooking, I didn't know how to do much of any cooking until my early 20's when I was on my own. If you need to learn how to cook by yourself, I suggest YouTube! You can find just about any task you want to learn on there and it will give you someone to watch during every step so that you feel confident. I'd also bet that once you start moving around in the kitchen, someone will be more than happy to tell you how to do different things. Maybe then you could rub off on THEM! Good luck!
  • stevwil41
    stevwil41 Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    I can't help with the unsupportive family part but I would highly suggest getting a couple of healthy college type cookbooks. The recipes are reasonably healthy and reasonably simple and they usually do a good job explaining specific cooking techniques for the different recipes.
  • Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,250 Member
    Options
    When I decided I wanted to change my eating and other habits, I talked to my mom and we came to a compromise. I took over the grocery shopping, meal planning, and cooking. This allows me freedom to eat what I need to eat the majority of the time. However, I also have learned how to make some staple meals healthier and how to balance a heavier meal so that I won't mess my whole day up. This way, neither of us has to be deprived of any of our old favorites.

Also, if my mom wants me to buy something that is not on my plan for her, then I do it. It is her money and her home. I am very, VERY lucky that she allows me to live here after I left my job and went to grad school (and then couldn't find a part time job that would work with my schooling). When you are living in another person's home, then you have to work with them and deal with them.
  • katy84o
    katy84o Posts: 744 Member
    Options
    I suggest looking at whfoods.com, and maybe purchase the book if you can. It teaches you how to easily cook food the healthiest way possible. I've always been able to cook but this taught me how to cook way healthier meals! I think obsessed is a harsh word, but I was obsessed with learning about food and what foods had in them chemically, and this book is awesome for that! So, if you are "obsessed" with food, you may really enjoy this book too. Good Luck!! And don't let your family discourage you. Start with small steps, instead of mashed potatoes steam some veggies, and when you start looking and feeling better and losing weight maybe your family will catch on. Some have to be taught by example.
  • CannibalisticVegetarian
    Options
    you are never alone. you have a whole supportive family here on MFP

*Studio audience 'awwwww'**

Seriously though, I agree with her.
  • craziedazie
    craziedazie Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    I didn't read all the posts, but I just wanted to say that I am an awful cook and I have found that if you just cut up a bunch of different vegetables and saute them with some kind of seasonings or salsa or something liquid as a base, you just cannot go wrong. add chicken or fish and you have a meal.

Today I used tomatoes, squash, bell pepper, onions, salsa, and guacamole.

Good luck. Sorry about the fam. =(
  • Lyndi4
    Lyndi4 Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    I taught myself how to cook it's not too difficult. Just tell mom you'll take care of feeding yourself from now on

I agree. When I got married I only knew how to make a few simple meals. If you really feel that you need help learning to cook then maybe ask a friend or sign up for cooking classes, watching the Food Network can be helpful (just make sure you are using a healthy recipe), and there are even videos on Youtube, etc. You can do it, just give it a try. What's the worst thing that could happen? You have to throw the food out b/c you burn something. Keep a fire extinguisher nearby just in case. LOL. :tongue: and give it a try.

Good luck! Maybe if YOU make some healthy meals for your family they will learn that they like healthy food and start making healthier things too. Maybe you could get to the point that you take turns cooking on different nights. We let my sister live with us rent-free for a while, and we all agreed that she could contribute to the household some by cooking once a week.
  • Helenatrandom
    Helenatrandom Posts: 1,166 Member
    Options
    JoAnna Lund wrote a series of cookbooks called Healthy Exchanges. She used processed food in her recipes and the steps were very simple. I suggest you buy the book, pick out two recipes that seem easy enough for you to follow, and volunteer to cook two meals a week for your family. Her recipes have a code at the side to let you know if they can be frozen. (Snowflake icon), so you could cook it and freeze it ahead of time. If your family doesn't like that option, you could freeze the food in smaller portions for you to hear up for yourself.
  • skarr28
    Options
    It's not easy being the only one on board for the sake of a healthier lifestyle. Unfortunately, when one person changes, it causes the surrounding people to look at the things they don't really like about themselves and don't know how (or really want) to change.

Cooking is actually pretty simple. It doesn't have to take long. Find what spices & herbs you like and use those while you learn new recipes & cooking techniques. My favourite things to add are cayenne (adds a spicey 'heat' to food versus a spicey 'flavour') on my shrimp& spinach, sugar-free salsa on my eggs and in wraps, and I usually saute everything I eat. Adding fruit to your salads, fruit and cinnamon to your oatmeal, etc

Find some simple recipes online here (just ask) or fitness magazine websites.

And, remember, you're not alone here. Here are people who will encourage you & root for every little success you share! Good luck! And keep your head up!

:flowerforyou:
  • blueham5
    blueham5 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Me too. I have to eat what my mum puts up for dinner everyday and I can't leave the table til I clear the plate(s). It might be really heavy and unhealthy one day like a 500g steak with a lot of fried egg noodles and then it could be light and healthy like steamed fish and vege the next day. So what I do is eat a light breakfast and then save 1000 calories for dinner. And then if the dinner is light, I'll also have a snack to make up for it.
  • laurensohn22
    laurensohn22 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Yall are really awesome thank you for the websites ill look at them once I'm home . When I wrote this I was pretty upset about what happened, now I'm felling a lot better and I can do this :) mission cook healthy :)
  • beemcbe
    beemcbe Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    For most of my life I could barely boil water. There were about ten things I could actually cook. I'm 20, and living on my own now. It got to a point where macaroni and cheese just wasn't working. I started just getting creative. I began with something really basic: pasta. Everyone can make pasta. I'd just start throwing veggies in. Some things worked well, others didn't. I got a bag of frozen chicken breasts and figured out the best way to cook them (surprisingly, I didn't give myself salmonella). I'll eat it by itself with a side, or put it on top of pasta or a salad. Those veggie steamers you can buy frozen are great, and since I'm only cooking for myself I can put the leftovers in the fridge and usually eat it for another day or two. I also once cooked a huge pot of black beans and ate them for a solid week. (Granted, I burned the heck out of them, but I threw a little cheese and sour cream on top and they weren't too bad.)
    Basically, what I'm getting at is that if you start with something you know, then add things you like, you'll figure the rest out. Just use things that go together. It worked for me; I've gone from swearing I was going to hire a chef to actually enjoying making meals for myself.
  • lmalaschak
    lmalaschak Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    For most of my life I could barely boil water. There were about ten things I could actually cook. I'm 20, and living on my own now. It got to a point where macaroni and cheese just wasn't working. I started just getting creative. I began with something really basic: pasta. Everyone can make pasta. I'd just start throwing veggies in. Some things worked well, others didn't. I got a bag of frozen chicken breasts and figured out the best way to cook them (surprisingly, I didn't give myself salmonella). I'll eat it by itself with a side, or put it on top of pasta or a salad. Those veggie steamers you can buy frozen are great, and since I'm only cooking for myself I can put the leftovers in the fridge and usually eat it for another day or two. I also once cooked a huge pot of black beans and ate them for a solid week. (Granted, I burned the heck out of them, but I threw a little cheese and sour cream on top and they weren't too bad.)
    Basically, what I'm getting at is that if you start with something you know, then add things you like, you'll figure the rest out. Just use things that go together. It worked for me; I've gone from swearing I was going to hire a chef to actually enjoying making meals for myself.

This is good advice. Nice job!
  • rugbyphreak
    rugbyphreak Posts: 509 Member
    Options
    at first, my entire family was unsupportive, but then the weight started coming off and they started to get really interested in what i was doing. now my brothers and mom are on board so we cook healthy for each other and my father has no choice but to participate or starve.
  • kittenmitton
    kittenmitton Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    If I were you, I'd play up the fact that my mother works all day. I'd say "oh, you must be so tired. Let me make something for dinner" and then make her something healthy and totally delicious.
  • froeschli
    froeschli Posts: 1,292 Member
    Options
    I'd say 'baby steps' - instead of going in saying 'oh we're eating so much crap, can't we be healthier?' (try it in a whiny tone and you'll smack yourself)
    try bringing home a couple of healthy alternatives - say a whole grain pasta, or brown rice, or a decent olive oil - one bit at a time, and just say you were curious to try it...
    buy a veggie steamer if you don't have one already. things like that, proactive, without criticism.

to learn cooking, hang out in the kitchen when your mom (or anyone) is cooking observe, ask intelligent questions, but don't be in the way. offer to wash, chop or peel vegetables. maybe do the (cooking) dishes before the meal is served. before you know it there will be conversation... that'd be a good time to throw in new ideas too...

i was lucky to learn the basics of cooking in school - but most i learned just observing and experimenting... ,my approach is: recipes are guidelines, if you get too worked up about following them 110%, it wont be any fun, and the result may suffer...

good luck
  • laurensohn22
    laurensohn22 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    woohoo this morning i got my mom to teach me how to do fish , simple but tasty !! :)
  • pa_jorg
    pa_jorg Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    Sounds like your mom is upset because she probably wants to eat healthier but doesn't have the motivation. Everyone comes to a change in their own time. In the meantime, there are tons of resources online (and on MFP) to help you learn to cook. Maybe consider trying one new ingredient or recipe a week so it doesn't seem so overwhelming to you or your family.

And great news on the fish recipe!
  • GeneaCindy
    GeneaCindy Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    That's great news! Way to go :)
  • Lrt4uk
    Lrt4uk Posts: 174
    Options
    I think it could also be in the delivery. If you approached your family as you need to cook MY meals healthier, then I'd most likely take offense and yell. I think you're old enough to pitch in and offer to cook either for yourself or periodically for the family.

Either way, jump in, any change is a good one!