Would you switch gyms if this happened?

Options
So I was going to planet fitness and it was great. Loved it. Then it got bought out by some other place and it was generally the same, they just painted the place horrible. Then they neglected the equipment but they've since fixed that. But more recently they have this personal training place running out of the gym. Okay fine. But now the trainers actually approach you trying to sale their services to you. It's rather annoying. Like having a popup ad when working out. I feel like they only approach the people aren't in shape. I'm not obese but I'm still overweight and I feel like I'm being singled out when they don't approach the more fit women nearby.

The whole thing has really changed the atmosphere of the gym and we weren't even notified that this was going to happen. Recently a new planet fitness has opened in town so I'm thinking about canceling at this place and moving there since it cost the same What do you think?

Replies

• xraychick77
    xraychick77 Posts: 1,775 Member
    Options
    yes i would switch.

if i werent comfy at my gym, and wasnt left alone to do my thing i'd be ticked. thats why I love the YMCA...no pressure, no crap, always take care of stuff, friendly staff..etc etc.
  • Southpaw3612
    Options
    I would switch if it were me and have in the past. Ive only been to one gym like that and I switched quick. Ive done walkthroughs where they tell me about personal trainers and have little ads posted for specific trainers if you are interested. It should be your choice to approach them, not for them to approach you and make you feel uncomfortable.
  • Rain_253
    Rain_253 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I would switch as well. Or, maybe try talking to a supervisor and letting them know you don't feel comfortable there anymore. I like to talk alot. So, personally that's probably what I would do.
  • n8na
    n8na Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Switch! You should be looking forward to going to the gym otherwise you're not motivated enough.
  • Missmissy0003
    Missmissy0003 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    They've approached you more than once? If it were me, I'd probably get snippy with them but that's me. Could you speak to the management? Although, if you have no reason to prefer this gym over the new one, then I'd switch.
  • redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options
    I think I will switch and let them know that's why. Granted I don't go there much during the semester as it's my "away from home gym" but I'll be there over the summer. So I'll just cancel and start up at the other gym in may as I forsee I won't be home much until then anyway. thanks!
  • Littlesparky09
    Options
    I'd switch too - but definitely let them know the reason why.
  • Cal28
    Cal28 Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    ^ This x
  • Elizadolots
    Options
    Switch! And let them know exactly why you are switching as well!
  • ajd241
    ajd241 Posts: 76
    Options
    I would switch. You go to the gym to do your own thing and not be harassed or annoyed by people. Move to where you feel most comfortable. There is nothing worse than having a gym and a gym membership which you don't want to use because you're avoiding the workers there. They'll always be there popping around from the corner!
  • SilverStrychnine
    SilverStrychnine Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    ^ This x

DITTO!!!!
  • JennieAL
    JennieAL Posts: 1,726 Member
    Options
    Unless there's something there you really value that's holding you there, I'd switch. And until you do switch, I'd let the next salesperson that approaches you know very quickly you are not interested and to put you down on their NOT GONNA BUY list. I'd probably get snippy too if they've hit you up multiple times... what a nuisance. No one wants to be bothered when they're busting *kitten* in the gym! What a sales tactic... guess they think they'll hit you up when you're in a weakened state?? LOL.
  • cleavell
    Options
    It is a HUGE step in the right direction when we try to better ourselves and begin to workout! I know when I first started, I was a little shy and uncomfortable going to the gym but I kept at it. I believe that a gym should make all of their members feel comfortable so that they continue on their track to a healthier life style. If you are feeling singled out, then they are not providing that level of comfort and I would let them know that prior to you leaving. That way they can correct this problem with their staffing and someone else doesn't leave or quit because of it.
  • Ang5669
    Ang5669 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    thats one of the reasons I bought adjustable dumbells and work out at home
  • FireMama_24
    FireMama_24 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I would switch in a heart beat!
  • MissYogapants
    MissYogapants Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Me too, I would switch too! As soon as I possibly could!
    If the other alternative would have been more expensive I might have tried and stayed at the current gym, talked to some sort of boss at the place about what I didn't like, and if nothing changed I would have probably switched in the end anyway.
  • Superbritt2drescu
    Superbritt2drescu Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    I would switch. You are paying to go there and get your work out in. Not to be bugged. I would let the management know how I feel before I left. Is it worth it to stay? Is there a reason to stay?
  • LuckyAng
    LuckyAng Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    I would switch for sure, and definitely let them know why.
  • Appersmere
    Appersmere Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I would definitely switch, and I would not hesitate to let them know why either!
  • iKristine
    iKristine Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    I would make a point to give that criticism to the management

You pay your dues, the gym is there for you. It's a personal atmosphere free of ridicule, pressure, annoyance and such.

Just as it wouldn't be acceptable to have a child running around poking you everywhere you went, neither should a trainer. Trust me the people are not wanting to do it anymore than you are. But I think if you lay it out, it would probably make a difference!

Quit possibly the management hasn't ever been in that position before if they are pushing this like it's retail.