Would you switch gyms if this happened?

Options

Replies

• justdoitjenn
    Options
    This happened to me too at my gym. The place was full and the trainer walked over to me - I was clearly listening to music and in my 'zone'...she starts talking and then asks if I've signed up for the 'free' assessment yet...blah blah blah. If made me feel really uncomfortable and singled out. On times after this, I've noticed them doing the same and I do 'everything' to not make eye contact and look mean so they don't bother me....

Actually, I just cancelled and am joining an exercise club that meets up in town to do various forms of exercise - so am trying something different from the gym.

My advice - like many others - switch and let them know. I actually work in Marketing and they probably already do know as many companies now pay for services that monitor social media sites to pick up on positive and negative comments. Someone at that company has probably already read this (or their supplier who creates the reports) - so it's good that you put the name of the town so they know which gym you're talking about. :)

Good luck :)
  • cerrajean
    cerrajean Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I would switch as well. Or, maybe try talking to a supervisor and letting them know you don't feel comfortable there anymore. I like to talk alot. So, personally that's probably what I would do.

How's that country song go? I was the only hell my mama ever raised? Yeah- i'd be talking to the gym ownership / management about the pushy trainers. 24 hour fitness used to do this too, I got really annoyed.

earbuds help too. even if they're not plugged into anything other than your pocket.
  • justdoitjenn
    Options
    earbuds help too. even if they're not plugged into anything other than your pocket.

One would think so...but it did not discourage the ones at my gym..guess times are tough, but they should be more creative rather than disturbing people who are just trying to zone out and get a good work out in.
  • Andy876
    Options
    You are the customer. They should be doing everything possible (and reasonable) to keep YOU happy.

You have every right to let the management and the staff know whether they are doing things right or wrong.

I'm sure they would appreciate feedback. (They should appreciate it).

Ultimately it is your decision.

I hope things work out for the best for you.

Good Luck!
  • MaggiePuccini
    MaggiePuccini Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    So I was going to planet fitness and it was great. Loved it. Then it got bought out by some other place and it was generally the same, they just painted the place horrible. Then they neglected the equipment but they've since fixed that. But more recently they have this personal training place running out of the gym. Okay fine. But now the trainers actually approach you trying to sale their services to you. It's rather annoying. Like having a popup ad when working out. I feel like they only approach the people aren't in shape. I'm not obese but I'm still overweight and I feel like I'm being singled out when they don't approach the more fit women nearby.

The whole thing has really changed the atmosphere of the gym and we weren't even notified that this was going to happen. Recently a new planet fitness has opened in town so I'm thinking about canceling at this place and moving there since it cost the same What do you think?

There are millions of gyms, so yeah, I'd shop around for one that you feel like you can't wait to go to. ALTHOUGH, if it were me, I know that there wouldn't be much that would TRUMP the nearest gym. Not having a car and walkign everywhere, or cycling, the nearest would always clinch it for me.
  • MaggiePuccini
    MaggiePuccini Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    yes i would switch.

if i werent comfy at my gym, and wasnt left alone to do my thing i'd be ticked. thats why I love the YMCA...no pressure, no crap, always take care of stuff, friendly staff..etc etc.

Oh yeah, when i lived in london i used to LOVE the ymca on tottenham ct road. have such fond memories of getting up at ungodly hours to do kickboxing before work!

IF i were going to join a gym now i'd be temped by the Curves one for women only. I know , no chance of 'pulling' lol but really, I don't want to feel I'm being (unfavourably) compared to some 8stone 23 year old with long blonde hair in expensive sweatybetty rig out while i'm doing squat thrusts!!
  • medoria
    medoria Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    I would try talking to the staff approaching me first making them aware of the fact that Im not comfortable with them popping up and maybe even admit thinking about leaving and then give them a chance or two to stop bothering me but if nothing changes I would bounce if I could afford it.
  • echoica
    echoica Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    when you switch definitely tell them why...the feedback with probably be appreciated.
  • MMarvelous
    MMarvelous Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    First I would speak to a day time manager and follow it up with a letter. Explain why you are unhappy and how you are strongly considering taking your business elsewhere. Give them a time for improvement and if you see no real improvement then ON TO THE NEXT ONE!!! Always COMPLAIN as businesses need to know what they do well and what they fail at miserably. JMO
  • FitDC
    FitDC Posts: 63
    Options
    If you won't lose money making the change, then go. If you are committed to a contract, call the management first Is it just one person that continues to approach you? If it were my franchise, I would want to know before I lost my investment.
  • mixedfeelings
    mixedfeelings Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    Switch and put a complaint in. If I'm going to the gym I like to go in to my own little world so I don't feel self-conscious, I'd like to think I would just ignore them like I ignore numbers I don't recognise on my phone.
  • thefuzz1290
    thefuzz1290 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    I'd leave and leave poor feedback on any website I could. They probably don't care, in all honesty, because they probably receive a good chunk of the personal training fees.
  • StartingAnewDay
    StartingAnewDay Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    [/quote]
    I don't want to feel I'm being (unfavourably) compared to some 8stone 23 year old with long blonde hair in expensive sweatybetty rig out while i'm doing squat thrusts!!
    [/quote]

^^^^^^Hilarious but sooooooo TRUE!!!!
  • Matt_Wild
    Matt_Wild Posts: 2,673 Member
    Options
    Train where you feel most comfortable and know you'll consistently do so. Consistency is key.
  • mncardiojunkie
    mncardiojunkie Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    I dragged my feet about switching gyms. I hated going into my ONLY PLACE of solace and the only place I could go for "ME". It came to a point where I hated going into that gym. The only feelings that I could find that were similar to this was when I hated a job and didn't want to go at all.

Due to this ( and other acts of stupidity) I gained significant weight from Oct 31-January 9, enough to throw me back on this site.

You must be comfortable with the place that you work out in. It's pretty simple. :flowerforyou:

Good luck to you!
  • fionarama
    fionarama Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    if the gym was really convenient to me, I would complain to management first to avoid having to change. If I didn't particularly like the gym, yes I would change anyway on principal.
  • mickipedia
    mickipedia Posts: 889 Member
    Options
    I'd switch, the gym is the last place you should be pressured by strangers. tell them why you're leaving so hopefully they'll change their ways for other people's sake and also you make find a new exciting buzz going to the new gym because all of the equiptment will be all new and shiny and personally i would find it to be quite a motivational boost :)
  • Sl1ghtly
    Sl1ghtly Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    Tough call. I would probably try my super top secret annoyance repellent phrase first.
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    planet fitnes is inexpensive and the old saying is always true....you get what you pay for
  • bluefox9er
    bluefox9er Posts: 2,917 Member
    Options
    Ditch the gym and liberate yourself. I worked out more frequently and with much greater intensity once I freed myself from these ghastly places.