Elliptical vs. Treadmill

Options
Which one is better?

Which one do you like, why?

Replies

• Pinnagerjaggin
    Options
    I prefer the elliptical better. I heard that running on the treadmill can wreak havoc on your knees and my legs usually hurt beyond the scope of a good workout when i run on one. The elliptical you can up the resistance and get a really good burn in my opinion.
  • heleflump
    Options
    Depends on your own situation as regards which is better - Elliptical is better for me as less impact on knees and ankles - I also like the variety of programmes compared with a treadmill which only varies in speed and incline - and you can go into reverse mode which gets to other muscles.

However, the main reason I prefer the elliptical is because I have yet to fall off it!!! This has happened a couple of times with the treadmill - if I get the rythmn wrong I go flying!!!! :laugh:
  • vtate75
    vtate75 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I enjoy the treadmill more because I like running. Plus, I burn more calories on the treadmill. HOWEVER, I cannot run everyday (knees), so I do the ellipitcal several times per week because it is minimal to no impact.
  • BAMFMeredith
    BAMFMeredith Posts: 2,829 Member
    Options
    I'm a runner, so naturally I prefer the treadmill. BUT, the elliptical puts a lot less stress on your joints, so a lot of people prefer that. If you like the elliptical better, put it on some resistance and maybe a hill setting (I like to do the "random hill" setting on my cross training days), and you can get quite the burn! Plus the elliptical machines that have the handles that move as well are great because you're pumping your arms too.

On the treadmill you can walk, run, or jog with or without an incline (or decline), but again, it's a bit more strenuous on your joints if you decide to move to jogging/running. Whatever feels more comfortable and that you're likely to do more often is what's best for you!
  • KemaVA
    KemaVA Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Whichever one you can do the longest! I personally like the elliptical more but I am training for a 10K so I had to become acquainted with the treadmill.
  • piccolarj
    piccolarj Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    I do both because they both have their place in my workouts. I run 2 days a week and I do the elliptical 2 days. On the days I don't run I still need cardio but I want low impact so that's why I chose the elliptical. If you have knee, foot, ankle etc. problems then the elliptical or bike is better for you.
  • laurenkoszola
    laurenkoszola Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I prefer the elliptical over the treadmill because I am more of a "walker" on the treadmill, and with the elliptical I feel I burn more calories. Plus I can up my speed when a song really gets me pumped!! :tongue:
  • ValerieMcGaha
    ValerieMcGaha Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I like the elliptical better because it seems to burn more calories in the same amount of time as the treadmill. Because of back problems I only set it to "manual". My question is concerning heart rate. On the elliptical (or treadmill) that I use, there is a little chart with three columns (age, 60% fat burning, 80% cardio). From what I understand, you are supposed to find your age and then look at the column to the right of it and there is a heart rate for fat burning and also one for cardio. I try to stay within that range, but a lot of the time my heart rate is much higher than what it says for my age. So I slow down to bring my heart rate down (usually from a 3.5 down to a 2.5mph). When I look around at other people on the treadmills or ellipticals, their heart rate is a little higher than mine and they are going anywhere from 4.2-6.5mph. Am I doing this correctly?
  • Fit4_Life
    Fit4_Life Posts: 828 Member
    Options
    Elliptical. Better on the knees and 2X calories burned! :happy:
  • ckmama
    ckmama Posts: 1,668 Member
    Options
    I have a pinched nerve in my back and after about 20 minutes on the Elliptical I can't feel my feet or legs....I think it is a great workout though.

I have more options with a TM because I can do up hill, walk, jog, run, or interval type work. You can on an ET too, but I find it easier on the TM.
  • tonihayden
    Options
    I have an elliptical and love it....I have a bad knee and it seems to work out good for me.
  • superstarcassie
    superstarcassie Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    I prefer the treadmill- mostly because I like to run and I burn more calories on the treadmill. I think either are good cardiovascular options if I have to workout inside! :)
  • Jennloella
    Jennloella Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options
    I burn more when I run on the treadmill, according to my HRM but I have both in my house. I use the elliptical when I'm feeling lazy and don't want to run.
  • sbeisel1
    sbeisel1 Posts: 181
    Options
    Depends on your own situation as regards which is better - Elliptical is better for me as less impact on knees and ankles - I also like the variety of programmes compared with a treadmill which only varies in speed and incline - and you can go into reverse mode which gets to other muscles.

However, the main reason I prefer the elliptical is because I have yet to fall off it!!! This has happened a couple of times with the treadmill - if I get the rythmn wrong I go flying!!!! :laugh:

THIS,

I have one at home. LOVE it, I have ankle and knee troubles.
  • Scarlett_S
    Scarlett_S Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    I feel like I SHOULD spend more time on the treadmill because its harder for me to run. But I can knock out 45 minutes to an hour on the elliptical on high resistance and burn 500 calories and there is no way I can run for an hour solid - my brain won't let me do it. Plus the whole knee/joint thing.

I am doing a timed run for a black belt test in karate over the next three weeks (one mile time and a 5K time) and once that is done I will do elliptical all the time.
  • Scarlett_S
    Scarlett_S Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    I like the elliptical better because it seems to burn more calories in the same amount of time as the treadmill. Because of back problems I only set it to "manual". My question is concerning heart rate. On the elliptical (or treadmill) that I use, there is a little chart with three columns (age, 60% fat burning, 80% cardio). From what I understand, you are supposed to find your age and then look at the column to the right of it and there is a heart rate for fat burning and also one for cardio. I try to stay within that range, but a lot of the time my heart rate is much higher than what it says for my age. So I slow down to bring my heart rate down (usually from a 3.5 down to a 2.5mph). When I look around at other people on the treadmills or ellipticals, their heart rate is a little higher than mine and they are going anywhere from 4.2-6.5mph. Am I doing this correctly?

If you aren't wearing a monitor, the readings on the machine itself are pretty inaccurate. I am the opposite - I try to keep the elliptical between 5.5 and 6.0 and keep my heart rate higher. The difference between my actual heart rate and what the elliptical reads out has been as much as thirty points.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    Why choose. Do both on different days. Keep the muscles confused. Elliptical seems to burn more calories for the same length worlout.
  • blackmamba886
    blackmamba886 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    I've had both... I actually got rid of the elliptical so that I could get a treadmill. It really depends on the person but I hated the elliptical. I struggled using it for years and couldn't figure out why I had such a hard time... I thought it was me. Finally got around to doing some research and it turned out that I was just too short for it. Yeah I never thought of it either. Once I had the treadmill, I found out it wasn't me and I would never trade back, even with more impact on the treadmill.
  • jadedone
    jadedone Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    I hate the treadmill. I find it exceptionally boring and annoying. I'd much rather walk outside. I don't think it feels much like actually walking or running, a lot more artificial. I can handle maybe 10 minutes and I go cuckoo. The good thing about the treadmill is you can get a sense of what each seed feels like.

I also thing it is way easier to do intervals on an elliptical. On the treadmill, you really need to concentrate on not falling off when you up your speed for an interval.

At the gym I switch between the elliptical, the rowing machine, and the ellipticals cousins' the tread climber and the arc trainer.

Outside I'll walk around in the hills or use stairs.
  • mstemen
    mstemen Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I prefer the treadmill because I love to run. I'm also training for my first 5k, but the treadmill is much harder on your knees. I like the elliptical because as everyone else stated it's low impact. I don't like the elliptical as much as the treadmill though because I tend to get bored on it. With the treadmill I can jog, run, sprint, or walk and not be as bored.