Eating Clean

Options
I'm being needy today, how do you guys feel about eating "Clean", all the time, day in and day out? Has anyone done it? What were your results? Is it tough to stick with?

Replies

• coolstacey6
    coolstacey6 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I try to eat clean or non processed food 80-90% of the time. just healthier for you.
  • subigirl
    subigirl Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I also eat clean (non-processed) about 80-90% of the time. I read Jillian Micheals' book "Boost Your Metabolism" last year about this time...seriously scared me organic! No joke! When I read how additives could dork with your hormones and such, I quit all kinds of things! I haven't had a soda of any kind in nearly a year. I've become a major label reader...avoiding MSG, BHA, BHT, dyes, etc. like they were the plague! I try to eat meats that are hormone-free, antibiotic free, grass-fed, free-ranging...it is a bit more expensive, but after finding out how all impacts you. I've even gone so far as watching my plastics (there are many lists on line which tell you which numbers are more prone to leeching into your drink or food); use paraben-free cosmetics, lotions, etc.; got rid of most of my plastic food storage containers and replaced with glass; and watch the chemicals I use around my house. I have gotten rid of my migraine headaches, cleared up my skin...the list of symptoms I no longer suffer with day in and day out is crazy!
  • pamelad77
    pamelad77 Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    When I joined MFP 2 or 3 weeks ago, I used it to kick start a drastic diet change. From fast food and about 1 serving of veg and no fruit a week, I switched to clean eating 80-90% of the time. My diet has improved dramatically, you can view my diary, it's public.

Even in the two weeks since I started, I have noticed a huge difference. Everyone says how well I am looking. My energy levels are higher and more consistent.

But to top it all off, a persistent cough I've had for over 15 years (doctors put it down to a sinus problem) has almost gone. It lessens every day.

I realise it is harder work and takes more planning to eat clean, but I can't recommend it enough!
  • teagin2002
    teagin2002 Posts: 1,901 Member
    Options
    I do it 4 days a week regularly (tue to Fri) then on the weekend I eat what even I want with in my maintenance calorie limit. I rarely eat out and stick to healthy foods, but I feel amazing.
    My diary is open if you would like to check it out.
  • Articeluvsmemphis
    Articeluvsmemphis Posts: 1,987 Member
    Options
    I also eat clean (non-processed) about 80-90% of the time. I read Jillian Micheals' book "Boost Your Metabolism" last year about this time...seriously scared me organic! No joke! When I read how additives could dork with your hormones and such, I quit all kinds of things! I haven't had a soda of any kind in nearly a year. I've become a major label reader...avoiding MSG, BHA, BHT, dyes, etc. like they were the plague! I try to eat meats that are hormone-free, antibiotic free, grass-fed, free-ranging...it is a bit more expensive, but after finding out how all impacts you. I've even gone so far as watching my plastics (there are many lists on line which tell you which numbers are more prone to leeching into your drink or food); use paraben-free cosmetics, lotions, etc.; got rid of most of my plastic food storage containers and replaced with glass; and watch the chemicals I use around my house. I have gotten rid of my migraine headaches, cleared up my skin...the list of symptoms I no longer suffer with day in and day out is crazy!

wow! good for you. I like success stories like these.
  • MyTime1985
    MyTime1985 Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    Wow! I appreciate the comments. This is something I'm seriously considering starting and doing for the rest of my life. I think I'll have to do it in baby steps but I just figured it has to be good for you. How could it possibly not be??? I'm getting Jillian's book TODAY as well. Thank you!
  • MyTime1985
    Options
    Well damn! It must work because Jillian's book is SOLD OUT on Amazon!!!!!
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options
    What do you guys eat for carbs that are 'clean'?
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    I eat as clean as possible.....whole foods, very limited processed foods (can't give up my coffee creamer!), nothing with ingredients I don't recognize, no fast food (limited restaurant food), and no soda. I would say I'm clean 80-90% of the time....and sometimes you just have to have pizza! :)
    Since Jillian's book is sold out - I would recommend you read "In Defense of Food" by Michael Pollan.....or any of his books, really. They are a great education about the state of food in the U.S.
  • My1985Freckles
    My1985Freckles Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    80-90% of the time as weel.
  • deathmittenz
    deathmittenz Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I do the same- about 80-90% of the time, I am CLEAN. There are a few things I won't give up, like my Crystal Light and Cinnamon Toast Crunch, LOL! But I do NOT eat fast food of any sort, no sodas, candy, or "boxed" dinners/foods. Every once in awhile I will snag a pretzle stick from my hubby's bowl, or eat a packet of instant oats instead of making steel cut oats. It IS harder, it DOES take more time, thought, planning and prep work-and willpower, if you are the only one in the home doing it and therefore have all the "junk" food in the house-but I find it SOOOO worth it. I just FEEL better about myself. I just started MFP not even a week ago, but the clean eating has been for several weeks, and I feel great! Pinterest is a GREAT site for finding clean recipes!
  • simplyeater
    simplyeater Posts: 270 Member
    Options

Brown rice, 100% whole wheat bread (no high fructose corn syrup, or weird preservatives), whole wheat or spelt tortillas, whole wheat or rice or jerusalem artichoke flour pasta, potatoes (sweet and reg.), fruit (it's got plenty of carbs)

I'm sure there's plenty more but that's a start.
  • angiemartin78
    angiemartin78 Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    I've been eating clean since 1-17-12 and I've lost 25 pounds! But I feel so much better without all of the added BS! We went to the Circus last night and I was starving. I had 1/2 of a pretzel and within 20 minutes was feeling gross. I've been reading this book "Accidentally Overweight" written by Dr. Libby Weaver, and it has changed my life! I'm slowly changing things for the rest of my family as well, as I'm sure they would freak if I stripped the cupboards of their favorites all at once. All of the added junk in our food is what is slowly killing us!!!
  • angiemartin78
    angiemartin78 Posts: 475 Member
    Options

Quinoa, brown rice, beans...The possibilites really are endless!
  • daniivdean
    daniivdean Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I'm being needy today, how do you guys feel about eating "Clean", all the time, day in and day out? Has anyone done it? What were your results? Is it tough to stick with?

I am on day 2 :) i feel wonderful- my diary is open too
  • kunibob
    kunibob Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    I aim to eat clean whenever I can, though I'm definitely not strict about it. I feel better about myself mentally on days where I eat pretty clean.
  • sblair77
    sblair77 Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    Clean eating just feels right.

As for carbs I make my own bread. Then I know what the heck is in there.
  • MyTime1985
    Options

This website is very informative! I love the part about 10-20%. My only problem is it's obviously written for "healthy" people and/or bodybuilders. I am very far from that category but it was interesting and I will be keeping it in my favorites as a reference.
  • krkoch1983
    krkoch1983 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    bump