Grow your own veggies?

Options
I bought some tomatoes at the store the other day and was thinking to myself that I will be glad when I can pick some fresh ones from the garden.This got me to wondering how many people here grow their own vegetables.I already have a few things planted....lettuce,onions,broccoli,cabbage and some carrots.........can't wait til I can plant those tomatoes!:wink:

Replies

• bugtrain
    bugtrain Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    bump
  • JPDad
    JPDad Posts: 147
    Options
    We started growing our own veggies last year. Can't wait to give it another try this year. Probably start the seeds in another few weeks.
  • Eureka175
    Eureka175 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    My husband is the gardener in the family - usually peppers, tomatoes, cucumbers, potatoes, lettuce, onions, squashes, etc.
  • nikkilou1978
    nikkilou1978 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I plant a garden every year. I love fresh veggies, especially when I know exactly how they were grown.
  • shovav91
    shovav91 Posts: 2,335 Member
    Options
    I love growing fresh fruits and vegetables... so much more delicious than store bought.
    We grow cucumbers, zucchini, yellow squash, tomatoes, hot peppers, bell peppers, broccoli, lettuce, kale, eggplants, various spices, okra... I'm sure I'm forgetting some, but you get the idea :)
  • MoLove2025
    MoLove2025 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Only if i had a yard to plant some veggies....my veggies would be fresher and cheaper.
  • cheshirequeen
    cheshirequeen Posts: 1,324 Member
    Options
    i started my own garden for the first time last year. i did pretty good considering its st. louis and it was my first year. im trying for different veggies and more variety. hopefully i can grow a bunch. i grew mainly carrots and zucchini. huge ones. this year corn, onions, tomatoes, lettuce, etc. we will see. good luck.
  • DrPepperLeigh74
    DrPepperLeigh74 Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    I do, I cannot wait till summer!!!! I did cabbage, okra, cucumbers, tomatoes, green peppers, squash, strawberries, raspberries, cantalope, watermelon, lettuce, onions, green beans last summer. It is fun and healthy :)
  • Aleciajones
    Options
    YES!! I was able to grow a few last year in 5gal buckets. This year I am ripping up my lawn to make more garden beds. Cauliflower, and broccoli are started, onions in the ground, garlic is doing fantastic. Its exciting being able to grow as much as possible of what your family consumes. After growing it the second best is canning it. :)
  • dkubicek922
    Options
    I grow some veggies in the summer, but love keeping green onions year round. You can put the white part with the roots in a glass of water inside and they grow back. Just rinse the onions and change the water every 5-7days and you're set! Its nice not only having a constant fresh supply (because I eat them on almost everything!), but they are also so, so much better than what you can get from the store.
  • Kasya007
    Kasya007 Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    I hear ya, Bugtrain. Oh, those pithy Mexican things that we have to put up with all winter. Why, it makes a girl want to build a hot house! LOL. :)

Anyhow, it's great to meet more gardeners on the boards. I also grow my own vegetables & herbs every summer, as well as sprouts & micro-greens in the winter. You have perfect timing with your post, as I've spent all week browsing seed catalogues, planning this year's gardens & garden projects. As well as, browsing through last year's garden diary to decide how I'm going to deal with last year's issues.

I have no idea what all I'm going to grow yet, as my list hasn't been finalized, but I do know that my end of winter projects are as follows:

-Build an inexpensive indoor grow set up for this year's seedlings, as I'd like to grow more from seed, rather than purchase.
    -Design & build a bee house to bring those pollinators into the garden with some scrap wood & old broken bamboo poles.

I look forward to seeing what others are growing, maybe we'll all get some ideas.

Cheers & happy cultivating! :D
  • xraychick77
    xraychick77 Posts: 1,775 Member
    Options
    this past year i started a small garden to see how it worked out..it was awesome..i grew huge squash. cucumbers, beans, carrots, small tomatos.

gonna make it bigger and i've learned from my mistakes, so hopefully this year it'll be better
  • RoanneRed
    RoanneRed Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    I do, but it would be much more productive if I was ever home to take care of it - I must remember to go out and check for ripe tomatoes in the morning, I'm sure there are some by now!
  • lisakyle_11
    lisakyle_11 Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    i do! depending on the season, my family and i grow: carrots, tomatoes, peas, beans, potatoes, various lettuces, spinach, kale, onions, radishes, leeks, garlic, beets, and artichokes. not much beats a garden!

(forgot a few: cucumbers, brussels sprouts, and zucchini)
  • mab33
    mab33 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    I grow them every year. They're absolutely delicious and I've caught my mom stealing from my garden. And squirrels. In fact, I hardly ever get to eat my veggies. But at least the neighborhood squirrels are happy...
  • kbw414
    kbw414 Posts: 194
    Options
    I love to grow heirlooms! I have an herb garden I can walk out to from my kitchen, which is great. My husband has made me tons of cool trellises and arbors for my long Asian beans. Can't wait for the snow to melt!
  • mjsmith1223
    Options
    A little jealous of those of you that can plant already...

We grow several varieties of tomatoes, peppers, cucumbers, kale, lettuce, spinach, peas, green beans, potatoes, onions, carrots, and broccoli. There's nothing like a salad of veggies still warm from the sun.
  • wreath7
    wreath7 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    if you plant zucchini, cilantro or radishes, they will be low maintenance and produce a lot, usually. Love growing vegetables...
  • beckys19
    beckys19 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Only if i had a yard to plant some veggies....my veggies would be fresher and cheaper.
    If you have a patio or balcony (as long as it is not facing north) you can have a container garden. Google "bucket garden" for ideas, though personally cukes didn't work good for us. But we've gotten good results for beans, peppers, and tomatoes.
  • Miss_dannii
    Miss_dannii Posts: 1,351 Member
    Options
    I'd love to but I can't with my dogs lol