Replies

• Maz9624
    Maz9624 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    :blushing: Just trying to Suss out how to reply to sub-posts
  • Heaven71
    Heaven71 Posts: 706 Member
    Options
    We do! Planning to extend the garden this year but we grow a LOT of peppers, bell and hot in every range and I cook with them a lot. WE plant randome veggies and I love to make oriental foods so I plant Bok Choy and leeks as well.

We are starting ours inside right now as it is stil cold but we also have about 8 pepper plants from last year that we potted and brought inside that wioll go back out in April.
    I bought some tomatoes at the store the other day and was thinking to myself that I will be glad when I can pick some fresh ones from the garden.This got me to wondering how many people here grow their own vegetables.I already have a few things planted....lettuce,onions,broccoli,cabbage and some carrots.........can't wait til I can plant those tomatoes!:wink:
  • 06gwensmamma
    Options
    For those of you who have limited space for growing or have little experience with growing veggies I recommend looking at Pinterest for some gardening ideas and tips. I have seen so many good ideas on there!
  • Maz9624
    Options
    i started my own garden for the first time last year. i did pretty good considering its st. louis and it was my first year. im trying for different veggies and more variety. hopefully i can grow a bunch. i grew mainly carrots and zucchini. huge ones. this year corn, onions, tomatoes, lettuce, etc. we will see. good luck.

Fri 02/17/12 05:57 PM
    'considering it's St Loius' -what does that mean? Too hot? I'm uk based looking for geographical enlightenment. Ps, I'm Midlands, England, near Nottingham, our snow has just gone, but more forecast tomorrow.
  • Maz9624
    Options
    Fri 02/17/12 05:57 PM
    'considering it's St Loius' -what does that mean? Too hot? I'm uk based looking for geographical enlightenment. Ps, I'm Midlands, England, near Nottingham, our snow has just gone, but more forecast tomorrow.
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    My dad hosts a family garden. We all pull our resources, help weed, and all get to help pick. There are four of us kids and my mom and dad, and we still take a trunkload to the food bank every week. Soooo yummy!
    Very cool that you donate as well!
  • findingfit23
    findingfit23 Posts: 846 Member
    Options
    I do a container garden on my patio, tomaotoes and peppers. I tried sqaush and zucchini but I never got anything to grow bigger then an inch. Maybe I can try lettuce this year.
  • maurierose
    maurierose Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    I have a garden box and loooove having my own tomatoes, squash, zucchini, peppers, onions to cook. Like a few of the posters above, I freeze some so I have it year round too. We also have fruit trees - several varieties of oranges, lemons, peaches, and nectarines - yummy stuff! I want to expand my garden box this year.... there's just never enough or too much when it comes to fresh stuff, I think :smile: :flowerforyou:
  • hauer01
    hauer01 Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    Oh, How I can't wait for summer! I don't have much space but I made a bit of room for a garden. I grow green beans, kohlorabi, carrots, shallots and peas. Since my room is litmited, I plant my herbs in pots. Then I take all of those left over plastic haning baskets that you buy flowers in and I have drilled holes in the bottom and grow tomatos out of those. I usually end up with about 10 tomato plants hanging from anywhere that I can hang something in my yard. Oh, and I can't forget the birds, I plant sunflower seeds anywhere that there is room.
  • Dayna154
    Dayna154 Posts: 910 Member
    Options
    I grow my own every year, nothing like growing your own
    Carrots, onions, zuchinni, cucumbers, beets, lettuce, cabbage, broccoli, cauliflower, brussle sprouts, all colors of peppers. YUM!
  • zenzoes
    zenzoes Posts: 187
    Options
    Just have to say I can't wait for the soil to warm. Nothing is better then the smell and feel of warm soil.
  • ehunte
    ehunte Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I love gardening. I've been experimenting for the past 2 yrs. I grow bell peppers, jalapenos, tomatos, corn, string beans and scallions. I can't wait for next month so I can start planting again.
  • BeeElMarvin
    BeeElMarvin Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    I plant a fairly large garden - about 30 ft X 50 ft. Lots of veggies. In Western New York, so I can't really plant too much until May, but I will put in peas & green onions in April.
  • m_shuman
    m_shuman Posts: 179
    Options
    I do! We grow: tomatoes, zucchini, peppers, peas, corn, carrots, mustard greens, collard greens, okra, green beans, squash, carrots, onions, watermalon, cantelope, honeydew, all kinds of herbs and I have a backyard flock of chickens for fresh eggs. I freeze and can my summer veggies so I can enjoy them year round.
  • splashangel
    splashangel Posts: 494 Member
    Options
    I've been working on a compost pile since last summer. I cann't wait for summer!
  • bugtrain
    bugtrain Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    My fiance and I grow mostly herbs and peppers. We're trying to expand it this year by adding garlic, onions, leeks and bok choy. We're prepping our second veggie bed for this year. The only challenge in Texas atm is the drought, so we have to find things to grow that can handle the severely hot and dry conditions.

And like others who have expressed the same, it's extremely rewarding to cook with your own home-grown produce.

I live in TX too....the drought has been tough on us! Luckily,last year,we bought an irrigation pump and watered our garden from our pond.we were the only ones in our area that had peas to sell last year.We were fortunate to be able to do that.
  • bugtrain
    bugtrain Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    I love that so many here are growing or learning to grow their own produce! I didn't expect so many to respond!Loved reading all the posts!
  • JNettie73
    JNettie73 Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    I grow my own. I do
    Veggies:
    -tomatoes (various types)
    -cucumbers
    -eggplant
    -zucchini
    -peppers (various color bell peppers)
    -peppers (various spicy such as jalapeno, cayenne)
    -asparagus
    -swiss chard
    -string beans
    -sugar snap peas
    -lettuce
    -arugula
    -leeks
    -chives

Fruits:
    -strawberries
    -blueberries
    -raspberries

Herbs:
    -parsley
    -basil
    -oregano
    -dill
    -rosemary
    -borage (flowers taste like cucumber)

Edible flowers:
    -nasturtium

I am sure I am leaving out some but you get the point. I grow a lot.

Feel free to add me! :flowerforyou:
  • mandamommy3
    mandamommy3 Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    I tried last year, I got a couple carrots, green beans, potatoes, and tomatoes. Nothing compared to what my mother can do though, she always has a FULL garden of everything from peppers to rhubarb. I am putting more thought into it this time and planning it all out, can't wait till I have my own and don't have to buy at the store. I miss the fresh veggies we always had at home and savor every bite I get when Mom drops some off for me.
  • Amy_B
    Amy_B Posts: 2,323 Member
    Options
    I just started our first garden last year, and I LOVE it! I am hoping to go a bit bigger this year.