Frog Legs

Options
2»

Replies

• FrostyBev
    FrostyBev Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    The bbq sounds yummy but time consuming since each leg contains so little meat. I think they'd be good grilled or roasted with buffalo hot sauce. I know it's cliche to say, but they really do taste a lot like chicken so you could probably use them in any chicken dish.

The frog legs I had were giant and ooohh sooo tasty! BBQ'd. They are sold in the meat department at a few groceries stores around here in Utah.

Alligator tail is amazing as well.
  • bfeusner
    bfeusner Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I am looking for some good non-fried recipes for Frog Legs...I found some interesting information on the web that a 100g piece of frog legs contains only 73 calories and packs a whopping 50g of protein and 0g of fat! I was thinking of boiling the frog legs and then shredding the meat and making barbeque similar to what you would do with chicken. Do you think this would work or what suggestions do you have...

I'm surprised no one mentioned this yet, but you need to recheck your facts. 1g of protein is 4 calories, so for anything to have 50g of protein it would have to have at least 200 calories in it. A quick google search tells me that 100g of frogs legs would have 73 cals and 16g of protein. It does have 50mg of cholesterol, so perhaps someone mistyped what you were looking at.

I realized that as I was typing it...I believe the chart said 17mg of cholesterol and 50g of protein so it must have been a mistype. Still 73 cals and 16 g of protein is pretty impressive!
  • itsrierie
    Options
    I've been living under a rock, because I wasn't aware that people ate frogs. What else do people eat beside the 'normal' meat? I don't mean this a sarcastic comment. I am truly curious.

Goanna, grubs, kangaroo, emu, crocodile.

Kangaroo is actually pretty popular and is sold in most supermarkets. Australia -- the only country in the world where it's legal to eat your national emblem.
  • bfeusner
    bfeusner Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I might have to try this recipe with the frog legs...

Oven Fried Chicken
    Gina's Weight Watcher Recipes
    Servings: 6 • Serving Size: 1 drumstick • Old Points: 3 pts • Points+: 4 pts
    Calories: 170.7 • Fat: 6.6 g • Protein: 14.5 g • Carb: 14.7 g • Fiber: 3.1 g

6 medium bone-in skinless drumsticks
    2 1/2 cups bran flakes
    3 tsp kosher salt, less if you are using regular salt
    1/2 tsp garlic powder
    1/2 tsp paprika
    1/2 tsp fresh black pepper
    1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
    5 tbsp Hellman's light mayonnaise
    1 tsp Dijon mustard
    Oil spray
    Preheat oven to 400°. Line a baking sheet with foil and set a rack above. Spray rack with oil.

Crush cereal in a food processor or chopper. In a bowl mix crushed cereal with salt, paprika, garlic powder, black pepper and cayenne pepper. Place in a shallow dish or ziplock bag.

Combine mayonnaise and Dijon mustard. Using a cooking brush, brush onto chicken then coat chicken with crushed cereal mixture. Place chicken on wire rack and spray with oil. Bake 35-40 minutes.