Eating once per day

Options
123457»

Replies

• rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,124 Member
    Options
    when i was going through my eating once a day habits, i was fat ... i eat six times a day now and im in way better shape and not fatty looking any more

Have you changed other habits though, like what types of food you're eating, the quantity that you're eating? Eating 6 times a day or once or twice doesn't matter, it's calories in vs calories out and macronutrient breakdown that counts

You very likely changed other things, in particular how much you eat and what you eat. My wife, who uses MFP infrequently, has this happen just because of using MFP. When she logs food, she loses weight, but it is not that she goes out of her way to cut her calories. It is because she becomes aware of what she eats. In other words, becoming intentional about eating will generally result in people losing weight because they realize they don't need that extra food. You could do it in 1 meal a day, or 9, if you kept the calories the same, the results would be the same. The key is what helps you keep it up. That is the Achilles heal of the way "experts" portray eating patterns. Probably not a week goes by when I don't read yet another article from a "nutritionist" or "diet expert" that says you must eat 5-6 meals a day. Yet, a search of the actual clinical studies where they divide people into groups eating the same number of calories but with different meal frequencies show that it makes no difference whether you eat one meal or nine meals a day, as long as you maintain your calories at the same level.

I'm glad six meals a day works for you, and from what you can tell is something you can continue. It does not work for me, and would be unsustainable for me. I know because for about a year or so I did that, always felt hungry, and eventually stopped not only that eating pattern, but staying within my calories resulting in becoming the heaviest I had been in my life including some major medical problems. I have found in Intermittent Fasting combined with calorie counting something I can maintain and have maintained for over 2 years.
  • HonkyTonks
    HonkyTonks Posts: 1,193 Member
    Options
    You very likely changed other things, in particular how much you eat and what you eat. My wife, who uses MFP infrequently, has this happen just because of using MFP. When she logs food, she loses weight, but it is not that she goes out of her way to cut her calories. It is because she becomes aware of what she eats. In other words, becoming intentional about eating will generally result in people losing weight because they realize they don't need that extra food. You could do it in 1 meal a day, or 9, if you kept the calories the same, the results would be the same. The key is what helps you keep it up. That is the Achilles heal of the way "experts" portray eating patterns. Probably not a week goes by when I don't read yet another article from a "nutritionist" or "diet expert" that says you must eat 5-6 meals a day. Yet, a search of the actual clinical studies where they divide people into groups eating the same number of calories but with different meal frequencies show that it makes no difference whether you eat one meal or nine meals a day, as long as you maintain your calories at the same level.

Precisely, there are studies that link eating breakfast for example to higher body weights in the population, however, these studies are not controlled studies and can be explained by other factors (for example, that breakfast eaters might eat less overall because they are less hungry). However, many people have interpreted this as "You need to eat breakfast to lose weight" which simply isn't true. In controlled conditions, where people eat the same number of calories overall, studies have shown that meal frequency is irrelevant.
  • lilojoke
    lilojoke Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    I could go back to eating every three hours and keep my calories the same and still lose body fat. Meal frequency means nothing.

Some days I eat all day and some days once or twice.
  • kaseyjones7
    Options
    Thank you for this response! LOL - officially! People are so ridiculous!
  • mrmanmeat
    mrmanmeat Posts: 1,968 Member
    Options

I don't exactly do this consciously, but every once in a while I'll eat like a huge, delicious, calorie filled lunch (like enchiladas at my favorite Tex-Mex place) and be so full that I won't eat again for the rest of the day. The plus is I get to eat rich fatty and generally not diet friendly food, eat as much as I want, and stay within my calorie limit for the day! It's rare that I actually do this, but every once in a while...oh man it's so worth it.

Think about the crap you're still eating though. Even if you are under calories, it's not as good as if you ate better.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    The thinnest I have ever been in my adult life was reached by eating only one meal a day. For me it was lunch, and I wasn't doing it intentionally. I was working full-time during the day and going to grad school full time at night. I'm not saying it's the healthiest way to live, and I can't do it now that I'm older and not as on the go. But I can say from 2 years of experience with it, that it won't make you fat or dead.

I ate like that in high school but I really don't know if I got enough calories at dinner or not. I just liked sleeping late and hated school lunch. I don't think I could do it now. When I'm hungry, I can't think straight.
  • djizzle101
    Options
    So I have eaten roughly once a day (sometimes none if I was too lazy or broke) for going on 6 years now and Obviously I have never gained weight, interestingly though I have never gone below 9 stone ever and my physique has always looked the same skin bone and muscle zero fat. I am not clear what you wish to do but if you, are seeking to maintain the same weight then one good meal a day will achieve this, or 2 small meals a day. if you want to lose weight then 2 really small meals a day would be better to ensure your body still produces the same amount of fat burning products as before but targetting body fats instead of food. to gain weight simply add on an extra meal every day. the biggest thing i find with losing or gaining weight is money.
  • cwsreddy
    cwsreddy Posts: 998 Member
    Options
    as long as you dont drink juice during the day, this board will be ok with it.
  • Heir0fFir3
    Heir0fFir3 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I don't do it intentionally but I'm a big believer in only eating when you're hungry. I usually eat around 7-8 at night then won't even think about food until about 1 the next day. Today I've felt ill so all I ate was a couple of Oreos and some popcorn at the cinema. When I get depressed I completely lose my appetite so my body is probably used to not getting much.