Let's Restore Civiilty to MFP

Options

Replies

• solodancer
    solodancer Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    well said, i think often because its harder to interpret how people are trying to say things people often take them in the wrong way, on forums people cannot hear your tone of voice or see your face expressions so its harder to know how you are meaning what you are saying so lets all remember this not only when writing our posts but also when replying and think 'did they actually mean that how im thinking they did or am i just taking it the wrong way?'
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options
    Agree all the way. When I joined in 2010, I did not see much of the heated threads, but now, it's everyday.

The feeling of MFP was completely different back in 09/10. There were a lot fewer members, and it was more strictly a weight loss site. The biggest argument on the forum was whether or not a raw diet was better for you.
  • sunshinel397
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Good luck. It really burns me when people are rude on the boards. There is no need for it. No one knows it all and people have to remember they were once new at this too. Here's to a happier "boarding" experience!
  • krazyforyou
    krazyforyou Posts: 1,428 Member
    Options
    I personally have not seen these battle boards, however we should all be respectful of each other.
  • Corryn78
    Corryn78 Posts: 215
    Options
    I hate to say this, for fear of backlash, but the whole Chit Chat area seems to be a breeding ground for rudeness. That, and the complete lack of support for people asking real questions. I understand opinions are just that...but take into consideration the person and their life style when responding...not just "what's best" according to you.

And now I've joined in....

Have a Great Day :flowerforyou:
  • EDesq
    EDesq Posts: 1,527 Member
    Options
    Message boards are battlegrounds, lately.

I promise to do my part to be as polite to each of as you I would if we were having a discussion face to face.

It's OK if we disagree with each other! But we can still be kind :smile:

Here's the thing...Everyone does not see nor participate in MOST of the Topics on the Board. So when you ask for Civility, the request is made of just a few who SAW the Topic you may be speaking of. I guarantee 95% of the Visitors here only SEE 5% of the Topics AND participate in EVEN LESS...like Me. So don't make a "Case" out of it.

Be Well
  • jaabee11
    jaabee11 Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    Agree all the way. When I joined in 2010, I did not see much of the heated threads, but now, it's everyday.

This is very true. Even more intriguing is that it isn't just on MFP Forums, but on many, many other internet forums, covering all range of subjects, not just weightloss ones.

I recently came away from one particular internet forum, it was like being in a lion's den, which was okay for a few months, but then it began to have a peculiar effect on me which I did not like.

I agree
    There is this strange mentality that because it's the internet you don't have to think about other people's feelings or be civil .
    I've seen ppl on here write as such. "It's the internet, get over it" What a horrible way to be.
    I'm not sure why these people think because it's the internet they can speak to people differently than if they were face to face.
    It's a terrible way to think.
    Just because you can't see a person doesn't mean they don't exist. You aren't talking to a computer it's a real person.
    No excuse for nasty.
    Kindness goes a long way.
  • Corryn78
    Corryn78 Posts: 215
    Options
    It isn't one topic...it has been just about all of them lately. Anytime I click on the recent forum topics, it directs me to "Chit Chat" where somebody is attacking another person. Random acts of kindness only affect one person, until that person passes it on...
  • gina1971
    gina1971 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I agree! I have been a member of MFP for awhile but only in last few weeks started participating in the forums. One thing that struck me immediately is how rude some of the posters can be... there have been times that I have stopped reading some threads that could have been interesting and helpful without posters being negative, rude, or just plain hateful.

This should be a place of encouragement and support and I vow to do my part.
  • unicornassassin
    unicornassassin Posts: 141 Member
    Options

I promise to do my part to be as polite to each of as you I would if we were having a discussion face to face.

Here's the thing...Everyone does not see nor participate in MOST of the Topics on the Board. So when you ask for Civility, the request is made of just a few who SAW the Topic you may be speaking of. I guarantee 95% of the Visitors here only SEE 5% of the Topics AND participate in EVEN LESS...like Me. So don't make a "Case" out of it.

Be Well

I'm not referring to one topic, but message boards in general. As some other people have commented in this post, they see it, too.

I'm not making a case out of it, I'm just saying that I promise to be polite.

Thank you, and you Be Well also :smile:
  • unicornassassin
    unicornassassin Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    It's so nice to read that so many of you make an effort to be polite, too! It is easy to let the negative comments overshadow the polite, helpful ones.

I appreciate all of you who are kind!
  • GadgetGuy2
    GadgetGuy2 Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    Use the ignore menu item (click down arrow under poster's profile pic) to block the posts from bad people showing up in your postings list.

IMHO, these nasty people are motivated by the hormonal release (e.g. adrenalin) when they are able to get someone to "engage" with them in their aggression.

Don't give them the pleasure. Set them to ignore, then post a reply saying you've done that so others can learn about the ignore feature.

If enough people have a nasty person on ignore, they will get frustrated and go looking for people who respond (i.e. see the posts and can't help but defend themselves) to start a fight with.

Just "ignore" them, and you won't have to read the pollution that spews from their fingers.
  • mismax
    mismax Posts: 16
    Options

I am totally in agreement with this. Good for you for saying what we've been thinking. Being civil, whether in person or in writing, is a classy awesome act, and to be repeated often. Thank you for posting.
  • Captain_Tightpants
    Captain_Tightpants Posts: 2,215 Member
    Options
    Really? I think this is one of the friendliest places on the net. The only forum I frequent that's less argumentative than this one is a Buddhist forum :laugh:

I've seen (and partaken in) a few heated discussions over the last few days but for the most part this place is all about the support!
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,871 Member
    Options
    Granted, I wasn't here back in the good ole days, but I don't see this as an overly argumentative or negative place at all. I post on a Catholic natural family planning forum that is more heated, ffs! All I see are adults disagreeing and acting a bit immature sometimes. If you don't like someone, ignore them, hide them, block them. It's a wonderful feature.

But hey, rainbows and kittens for everyone if it makes you feel better!
  • DebbiesHardWork
    DebbiesHardWork Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    You are an inspiration! Great job!
  • Stefanie7125
    Stefanie7125 Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    I agree and I promise to do my part as well! We are all here for one reason or another; to lose, to maintain, to get healthy, to pump up. Lets encourage one another! Have a great day! :flowerforyou:
  • committomittxoxo
    committomittxoxo Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou:
  • Helenatrandom
    Helenatrandom Posts: 1,166 Member
    Options
    :heart:
  • ivansmomma
    Options
    I have tried in the past to say in these 'not-so-nice' posts for people to remember why they are here - to encourage and support one another. I agree in discussion, answering someone who may have a question or concern, but there is a correct way to do this, not put the person down or make snide remarks. Yes, I was also here a couple of years ago, and enjoyed the forums, but have avoided the ones that seem to be going down the heated road.

Thank you for posting and I hope all will read this and understand we are here for each other, not to put down and make smart remarks, but to help one another achieve their individual goals.