Let's Restore Civiilty to MFP

Options

Replies

• Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,284 Member
    Options
    Now, I do agree that one should try and be polite and civilized when posting their thoughts and opinions. However, I don't think that means that people shouldn't post what they think. That IS the point of a discussion board, to get multiple opinions and advice. Just because the advice isn't what you want to hear, doesn't mean it is mean. If you post on a public forum, then you should expect to get opinions from all over.

TONE can make a huge difference. I try and watch how I say things, even if I do not agree with another poster.

If we all agreed, it would get very boring around here!

Also, this board is a LOT nicer then many others I frequent... even more so at times then a Disney board I am on!
  • ChristineW82
    ChristineW82 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Oh man, I've been reading through threads tonight just shaking my head.

Everyone is grumpy tonight ... what's going on?? :huh:

I agree, with feel free to express your opinion. Just be polite about it.
  • thefuzz1290
    thefuzz1290 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    St.-Rodney.jpg
  • Circa1964
    Circa1964 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I haven't been on in a while because people were so hateful to each other a few months ago. I was also on a photgraphy site that got that way too. Too much drama with some of these folks.
  • cloud2011
    cloud2011 Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    I agree! I have been a member of MFP for awhile but only in last few weeks started participating in the forums. One thing that struck me immediately is how rude some of the posters can be... there have been times that I have stopped reading some threads that could have been interesting and helpful without posters being negative, rude, or just plain hateful.

This should be a place of encouragement and support and I vow to do my part.

It's interesting, some people think they are just "telling it like it is," which is a euphemism for being rude in some cases.

I try not to take it personally, but you're right sometimes it's beyond the pale.
  • savdbygrac
    Options
    I love MFP because it's NOT Facebook! I agree with keeping the rudeness and drama off of MFP forums! Weight is one of people's most sensitive areas and we need to respect EVERYONE!
  • Jorra
    Jorra Posts: 3,338 Member
    Options
    What I've been seeing lately is people mistaking unconditional approval as support.

You can support someone by telling them that what they are doing is wrong. You wouldn't tell someone starving, "WTG" when face to face, you would tell him or her to get help before they hurt themselves.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    But THIS IS how I talk face to face! :smokin:
  • peachNpunkin
    peachNpunkin Posts: 1,010 Member
    Options
    I agree. If you can't say something positive, then just don't say anything.
  • Nopedotjpeg
    Nopedotjpeg Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    23mr1hi.png
  • MindyG150
    MindyG150 Posts: 1,296 Member
    Options
    :happy: I think everyone is hungry!! :flowerforyou:
    I love that, thanks for the smile!
  • michellebd1980
    Options
    Message boards are battlegrounds, lately.

I promise to do my part to be as polite to each of as you I would if we were having a discussion face to face.

It's OK if we disagree with each other! But we can still be kind :smile:

I couldn't have said it better myself! I agree!
  • ReverendJim
    ReverendJim Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    Let's improve our spelling on MFP! It's "civility." And "lose," not "loose."
  • Jorra
    Jorra Posts: 3,338 Member
    Options
    Let's improve our spelling on MFP! It's "civility." And "lose," not "loose."

Thank you, Reverend. :flowerforyou:
  • engineman312
    engineman312 Posts: 3,450 Member
    Options
    Noobs-Noobs-everywhere.jpg
  • mem1086
    mem1086 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Thank you!!! Seems like everyone is argumentative and throwing out the negativity instead of supporting and sending out the positivity! Life's hard, but at least you're living!
  • ginnylee74
    ginnylee74 Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    Oh man, I've been reading through threads tonight just shaking my head.

Everyone is grumpy tonight ... what's going on?? :huh:

I agree, with feel free to express your opinion. Just be polite about it.

Stress........With what's going on in the world today, I know some of my friends and friends of my sons are stressed trying to keep jobs, making sure their kids are going to get an education. When they get older will they be able to get an education? Some of them are really concerned with where our country and other countries are going. Is Iran going to attack Israel? Is Israel going to attack Iran? It goes on, and on and on. :explode:

WE don't have to take it out on the boards but sometimes it just comes out. We need to all make an effort to be polite on the boards and if we are in a s---y mood then maybe just read and save our opinions for another time. :flowerforyou:

Then again we do have the ignore feature. Although I would hate to use it. :blushing:

Tomorrow is Friday. Everyone should feel better??????? Maybe?????? We can hope //:heart:
  • anyonebutmehaha
    Options
    Noobs-Noobs-everywhere.jpg

for example^^^
    maybe you were trying to be funny but what that comes off as is that you're 'ever so cool and king of the interents' while those asking for a bit of common courtesy on the forums must all be internet losers, bunch of nOObs.beneath the likes of you. get it?

OP i agree, the overall tone does feel like it is getting ever increasingly hostile around here. i am at a loss for an explanation, but during the limited time i have to hang out on MFP forums i will make an earnest attempt. to do my best to be a positive force.
    thank you for starting this thread.
  • fuzz_pawz
    Options
    Message boards are battlegrounds, lately.

I promise to do my part to be as polite to each of as you I would if we were having a discussion face to face.

It's OK if we disagree with each other! But we can still be kind :smile:

Well posted!!! *clap clap clap* Agreed!
  • MoLove2025
    MoLove2025 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    BUMP.....BUMP