boiling eggs ahead of time

Options
13»

Replies

• janer4jc
    janer4jc Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    I think either way is fine....more of a preference thing I suppose :-)

Agree. I prefer to peel them right away but when I'm short on time I just toss them in the fridge.
  • helenmelon29
    helenmelon29 Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    I keep them in the shells until ready to eat :)

Me too!

Me too
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    I am 60 and JUST learned how to easily peel eggs, whether fresh or older. You 'punch' a tiny hole on the fatter end of the raw egg, very careful not to go in very deep, you just want to pierce the shell (they make egg piercers for this purpose). Gently place them in a pan of hard rolling boiling water. Keep them in for 15 minutes. Drain and use cold water to cool them down. AMAZING... can't believe it took this long to find out this jewel of information. Even the very thin membrane peels off with the shell!
    Doesn't the egg white seep out of the hole into the water? I have an egg piercer, I'll try it someday.

I use a similar method but 13 minutes and no hole, no cold bath, and the shell sloughs off in one piece under running water, usually. I first roll it to crack the shell all around, then stick it under the water to slip the shell off.

I know this 'store peeled or not' question is 18 months old, but I store them unpeeled. Costco and other industrial food places sell boiled, peeled eggs in containers floating in greenish water that reminds me of formaldehyde. Yuck.
  • fruttibiscotti
    fruttibiscotti Posts: 986 Member
    Options
    What do you value most? Time efficiency or sturdiness of egg? If time efficiency is your answer, peel eggs soon after they are boiled. Otherwise, to have a more sturdy egg for packing and hauling around, peel only when ready to eat.
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    Depends how many I'm doing but generally I find they get a bit dry on the outside if I store them peeled.

I plunge straight into cold water as I was told that helps prevent the yolks from turning black

to remove the shell - tap the egg all over on a hard surface, then roll it around with gentle pressure. the pressure squeezes the egg away from the shell and you 'should' be able to just ping the shell off with the membrane.