BIO nerds

Options

Replies

• penelepurr
    penelepurr Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Biochemistry is terrible, and possibly the bane of my existence at this moment. Genetics would win if the two had to duke it out. I haven't gotten to the brain in anatomy class yet, it'll be interesting to see how he tries to shove it into three weeks. Yall are awesome by the way, it gets hard when you don't have many friends interested in science to get excited about it with.

bane of existence, indeed. some parts were interesting, but none I'd care to re-learn. :)
  • penelepurr
    Options
    LOVE science! Working on a PhD. in Neuroscience here!:)

Wooohoooo! Neuroscience. Go brains!

neuro junkies UNITE! :D I did my BS in neuro and am finishing up a MS in molecular bio and genetics.
  • penelepurr
    Options
    Are you sure you aren't a clone of me? I love science on all scales but chemical. Cellular is great, atomic is great, chemical is BLEH. :flowerforyou:

Oh, obviously a science nerd. My profile pictures are full of my microscopy.

is that top left picture.......myelinated axons? :drinker: I've spent a lot of time counting images like that recently.
  • perpetuallyfit
    perpetuallyfit Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Microbiology major here...did it a long time back but can still talk about it hopefully! :P
  • penelepurr
    Options
    so, my awesome-science-teacher story: My general chem prof, who was one of the most popular chem teachers, always hard to get in his classes- was this totally awesome middle-aged short British guy. loved the accent. one day he wore a shirt with the periodic table on it. He shut off the lights, and the radioactive elements glowed. :happy:
  • butjuli
    butjuli Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Chemistry major...huge nerd! Apparently I'm the minority...nobody likes chem...myself included most days haha
  • April20166
    April20166 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Please add me as friends, I need support and I'm willing to give support!
  • penelepurr
    Options
    Chemistry major...huge nerd! Apparently I'm the minority...nobody likes chem...myself included most days haha

actually my dad is a chemist for Dow :) being in chem lab was my fav...I love making stuff!! I totally need a mad scientist lab ;)
  • Danhra
    Danhra Posts: 77
    Options
    I feel like I could use a few friends from this thread since I am planning on taking bio and chem upgrading soon ahahahaha :P
  • Jorra
    Jorra Posts: 3,338 Member
    Options
    Are you sure you aren't a clone of me? I love science on all scales but chemical. Cellular is great, atomic is great, chemical is BLEH. :flowerforyou:

Oh, obviously a science nerd. My profile pictures are full of my microscopy.

is that top left picture.......myelinated axons? :drinker: I've spent a lot of time counting images like that recently.

Actually, LabRat's picture has neurons. My images are all of the same slide at different magnifications. It's actually a cross-section of a testis. Seminiferous tubules are beautiful, no?
  • katburkinshaw
    Options
    Hey, Bio nerd right here! Unfortunately not studying it any more but still find it fascinating...
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    what's wrong with chemistry? I was chem eng major for most of college, switched to comp Sci. after my junior year (extending college by 2 more years unfortunately), but it was great background for allowing me to read the very technical case studies and research briefs about health and nutrition. I wouldn't even begin to understand the mechanics of the human metabolism without that background.

FYI for anyone who wants to REALLY understand human metabolic processes, read "Advanced Nutrition and Human Metabolism" 5th edition, you can get it at B&N, it's fantastic (but super technical).
  • nightshade21
    nightshade21 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Love Biology! My first degree was in biology and now I'm a nursing student. I love to talk about animals, cells, and health. Feel free to add me (that goes for anyone) :)
  • GadgetGuy2
    GadgetGuy2 Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    what's wrong with chemistry? I was chem eng major for most of college, switched to comp Sci. after my junior year (extending college by 2 more years unfortunately), but it was great background for allowing me to read the very technical case studies and research briefs about health and nutrition. I wouldn't even begin to understand the mechanics of the human metabolism without that background.

FYI for anyone who wants to REALLY understand human metabolic processes, read "Advanced Nutrition and Human Metabolism" 5th edition, you can get it at B&N, it's fantastic (but super technical).

Is there anything in that tome about how the body decides whether to burn fat and/or protein when you're hungry (i.e. stomach empty, blood glucose dropping, etc.).

Reason I ask, sometimes at night, after exhausting my calorie intake budget for the day, I feel a little hungry. Should I snack lightly, or assume I'm not digesting my own protein for its caloric content?

'Mit all dem scientists on this board, I'm hopeful for some comment on the topic: "burn fat, protein, or both?".
  • GadgetGuy2
    GadgetGuy2 Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    so, my awesome-science-teacher story: My general chem prof, who was one of the most popular chem teachers, always hard to get in his classes- was this totally awesome middle-aged short British guy. loved the accent. one day he wore a shirt with the periodic table on it. He shut off the lights, and the radioactive elements glowed. :happy:

Lemme' see if I get this picture correct.

You're chem teacher was illuminating the bottom middle of his display? :embarassed:
  • thepetiterunner
    thepetiterunner Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    I love biology! :) I also work at a veterinary pathology lab. Feel free to add me!
  • Graciecny
    Options
    Lol, I have no idea what to post here. I just signed up and apparently people do better when they connect with people on these sites. Anyway, if you like to talk science (anything but chemistry) we should chat :D
    Aw, come on...chemists can't join the fun?!? ~pout~ :frown:
  • tatertotfishstick
    tatertotfishstick Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    <---- even though I am currently a stay at home mom, I went to school for Genetics and Biochem ... did my senior research on the flu. I love all things science... except geology... rocks do nothing for me unless they are diamonds.
  • Graciecny
    Options
    OP, can I just point out how ironic your t-shirt in your avatar is?! :laugh:
  • Kimmy2676
    Kimmy2676 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    OP, can I just point out how ironic your t-shirt in your avatar is?! :laugh:

Ummm, I was thinking the exact same thing, but I'm a Chemist too!