POLAR FT4

Options
13»

Replies

• abigailhutch
    Options
    OMG I love love love mine too! Did you do all the settings on it??? Your height, weight, gender, age....all that good stuff? That really does make a difference in your burn!!!! and heartrate really depends on age too.....My mom & I workout together and both have the FT4 & even in our bootcamp class - her max rate is like 159 when mine gets up to like 192..... I know there are formulas for finding your target heart rate but I'm not sure how to do it....Good luck! Have fun! and Hope you love your FT4 as much as I do!!!! ***Also, I make sure and update my weight in the watch like every 10lbs down...that way it stays accurate with your body!
  • firstnamekaren
    firstnamekaren Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    HRM use your HR to gauge level of exertion but the caloric burn has to do with oxygen intake, not HR, the HR is just used to estimate this, and you HR is elevated due to other physiological reasons during strength training. In other words, don't count all the cals burned the HRM tells you for non-cardio activity.

I have been logging my strength training calories with my HRM amounts. If this is too many calories, how many should I be counting?
  • jodibelle
    jodibelle Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Mine always come out way lower than MFP's, so depressing sometimes. Oh well.

For those looking to buy one, try Bodytronics.com and try discount code "POPO" that will get you an additional 5% off. My Polar FT4 cost $58 plus tax.

Same thing for me - my FT4 says I am burning lower then MFP or any other online calculator has said. But it just makes me try harder :smile:
  • november03
    november03 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    bump
  • mem1086
    mem1086 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    bumping for the info
  • mmuzzatti
    mmuzzatti Posts: 706 Member
    Options
    OK this may have been said but I did not read everybody reply. First you picked the right HRM to buy. Second I have a routine that I workout and what I do is I run to the gym and take the long way so I get about a 2.5 to 6 mile run depending on the day then get my workout in then walk home. So with that said I start the HRM when I begin my run which is right out my front door. I then stop it when I walk back in my front door. I then create a database and say some thing like "Run, elliptical, spin, core weight workout via HRM" Then input my total times and the HRM calorie burn. That is all I use and it works for me. Just find something that works for you and go from there. don't flip flop.

Hope this helps!
  • StartingAnewDay
    StartingAnewDay Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    Not sure what to do, I got a free Oregon Scientific smart heart se102 HRM. I was going to spend the money on a ft4 but my question is, when i look at "reviews", they say this one is just as accurate as the ft4. i have to enter my age/wt/activity level etc:, I don't want to spend almost 80 bucks after shipping/handling/tax just to say I have a 'popular' brand or pretty color. I guess what im asking is, is there a way to gain an understanding of this, a better accuracy?? maybe I will just go to ****s, buy the ft4, wear BOTH at the same time and see what happens. (Is this possible?)
  • Mollyalice
    Mollyalice Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I just bought my Polar HRM using the code! Thanks!! I wouldn't have been able to afford it any other way!! Now, I just wait!
  • chelsea_thatsme
    chelsea_thatsme Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    bump