Any Black Women with Natural Hair?!

Options
Hey MFP,
I'm natural, but I pretty much wear my hair in a wrap or with a short wuick weave in order to protect my hair in the winter. But, I need some other workout styles because my hair is the biggest problem when I work out ! I dont want to keep flat ironing it after every work out...any tips?

Replies

• NNAhuja
    NNAhuja Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    I have a TWA for now. I'll do braid outs, bantu knot outs, and even two strand twists.
  • Superwoman79
    Superwoman79 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I have been natural for a year and right now I am rocking an afro. I have a wig (her name is Megan....LOL) I put that on when I don't want to wear my hair out. I have not tried two strand twist yet since I am waiting to get more length to my hair. However, I did get my hair twisted for New Years and it came out very nice. Best wishes on your weight loss journey.
  • soosweet1920
    soosweet1920 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Right now I have a sew in until summer. Before I would just put it back in a pufff. My hair isn't that long yet but I sweat a lot in my head and need to stat thinking of how to protect my hair when it is out!
  • Sixalicious
    Sixalicious Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Nicole Ari Parker was on the radio talking about a new product she is selling for women of color who workout. It sounds pretty interesting. The website is www.savethedo.com. basically, it's a headwrap with three different layers to hold the moisture preserve the style. She also advised people to blowdry on a cool setting afterwards. From what she said, it helps to maintain the style even after a hard workout. If I thought it was something I could use, I'd try it out. I have way too much hair so I tend to make my own wraps.

As for me, I'm natural and have locs. To keep my roots under control I wear a headwrap to absorb the moisture.
  • zibbity
    zibbity Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I feel ya, girl.

I've been relaxer free for about two years now. Before when I wasn't working out as much, I would just blow it out and wrap it. Nowadays I work out 5-6 days a week, sometimes twice a day. My hair was becoming too much maintenance as most of my workouts are in the morning before work. I was spending an hour just to tame it. I work in a high end hair salon, so ponytails are not an option.

I'm just doing a sew in until I drop the weight. Once I'm in maintenance mode, I can go back to having my natural hair out. I want it to grow too. Good luck to you!
  • Beastette
    Beastette Posts: 1,497 Member
    Options
    Yes. I wash it after every workout, and let it dry naturally. I try not to handle it too much otherwise, and it is happy. I hate sweaty hair, and I sweat like an escaped convict in a doughnut shop.

I believe I would call it 3B, to be specific.

ETA: "Every workout" means 6 days/week.
  • iSpeakLife
    iSpeakLife Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Thanks ladies!! I'm going to put a quick weave in my hair tonight and braid my hair underneath...we'll see how it holds up! Blessings on your journey :)
  • FunSizeFlirty30
    Options
    I have been natural for about 2 ½ years and I normally rock my ‘fro or braids in the summer but keep a sew in during the winter to protect it. One thing I miss not having to worry about anymore is “sweating out my perm” lol
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    i usually am in 2 strand twists or boxed braids, but when my hair is loose i either work out in a fro or puff. on days that it's loose and I'm doing a pool workout, I put my hair in fat side braids so it can fit under the cap.

i think part of the reason i've never really worn a weave is because i've always been up in a gym (even though i'm overweight now :laugh: ) and need to be able to wash my hair and scalp multiple times a week
  • tyra47
    tyra47 Posts: 97
    Options
    I'm natural and right now my hair is ulled up in a puff and it works great with my work outs.
    I have a sew in on my profile picture.
  • jesusislove1526
    jesusislove1526 Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    I'm usually in two strand twists, rope twists, or box braids. However, at the times my hair is loose, I put it up in a puff while I work out daily. I've been natural for over 8 months this second time around, and it has been 1 year and 11.5 months since my last perm.
  • kdasilva88
    Options
    the hardest part is wanting to do the hair and knowing it will be ruined the next day. I don't like sew ins when I sweat the braids underneath get disgusting. What I have been doing is the high bun or braid its currently fashionable for any occasion and I can re gel or jam it up if it sweats out. Another idea is cute thick head bands, kind of like the scarf one to.

good luck!
  • Savyna
    Savyna Posts: 789 Member
    Options
    So far I have locs so for that I usually try to get a headband to keep them out of my face but usually I forget now and just have them in my face and sweat going all around hehe. So I'm not that much of a good person to ask.
  • MeRevisitedAgain
    MeRevisitedAgain Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I have been natural for 7 months now. Been back in the gym since November. I always have two stand twist in. I wear a sweat band under my wrap to keep my twist from getting wet. I sweat like a hog in heat. After workout I spritz with coconut and water to refresh. At the end of the day I condition my twist in the shower with a leave in like Kinky Curly. If I'm wearing my hair out I co-wash and twist unless its a wash day in which I shampoo. Sounds complicated, but I basically rinse and condition every time I workout, because I sweat all throughout my head.
  • Adina81
    Adina81 Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    Sissy Dreads!!!
  • MeRevisitedAgain
    MeRevisitedAgain Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Sixalicious the website is www.saveyourdo.com. Girl, you are a lifesaver. I'm upset the black is on backorder, but the slate will work just fine.
    Nicole Ari Parker was on the radio talking about a new product she is selling for women of color who workout. It sounds pretty interesting. The website is www.savethedo.com. basically, it's a headwrap with three different layers to hold the moisture preserve the style. She also advised people to blowdry on a cool setting afterwards. From what she said, it helps to maintain the style even after a hard workout. If I thought it was something I could use, I'd try it out. I have way too much hair so I tend to make my own wraps.

As for me, I'm natural and have locs. To keep my roots under control I wear a headwrap to absorb the moisture.
  • deniseselah
    deniseselah Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    dreads, and I used to wash them once a week before I started working out, but THAT had to increase with all the sweat! I feel like the every day washing made my hairline REALLY REALLY thin. SO I just try and be gentle and figure I can get the hair together once I get the body together! And I don't normally wear a baseball hat - just happen to have one on in my profile pic. :smile:
  • blueandigo
    Options
    Not a woman, I cut my hair and now it is natural again. Apparently woman like it short because before I didn't get many looks. But I still want my long hair back. One thing though, I wish I knew how to take care of it when I had it because the sweat from working out killed it. Good luck to you.
  • rollycollysmama
    Options
    I don't get it, I RARELY see a black woman with messed up hair, it always looks PERFECT. I WISH I had me some black girl hair! I got nappy hair and I hate it, spend an hour or more just to strighten it, for it to FRIZZ the heck out in 30 minutes! You'll are LUCKY!
  • slsmoot123
    slsmoot123 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I am transitioning so part of my hair is natural and part of my hair is relaxed and that really makes it tough. I can do the full afro and I cant just do a roller wrap because as soon as I sweat the roots will frizz up. What works for me is a tightly curled roller set with a gel that will make your curls hard. Two strand twists are okay but then my relaxed ends make it not last long. And I know you said you dont want to do this but the flat iron has been working for me. At this point my hair is trained and I dont have to do it everyday if I roll it up with grandma roller at night. I work out at home so in the mornings I keep the rollers in until after I shower and get dressed. The thing is my hair is not bone straight but its has some life and body now. But don't give up eventually you do figure out what works for you!!