Replies

• boo333
    boo333 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    stand twist works for me.
  • hexrei
    hexrei Posts: 163
    Options
    What exactly constitutes natural? Does that mean not made of something other than hair?
  • divasoofly
    divasoofly Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Hello, I've been natural for 6 years and out of braids for 3. I usually wear wash and go's or pull it into a puff up top. I try to wash once a week and deep condition with a steam cap. Currently, I am trimming my color out because I LOVE blonde but blonde does not love me. As a result, I am on a growth journey which involves no bleach and just let it go and grow. Good luck on your journey!!!
  • kyunda
    kyunda Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    Hey ladies! Ive been natural since June 2010!!! I normally workout 5-6days a week. I tend to do chunky twist at night, workout in the morning (sometimes,lol) take my shower get dressed then take then a loose. That gives my hair time to dry. Thats when i wear it out. If im not wearing it out i do the tuck rolls.
  • Beastette
    Beastette Posts: 1,497 Member
    Options
    What exactly constitutes natural? Does that mean not made of something other than hair?

Actually, not a bad question.

The definition varies, but generally means relaxer-free. Some take it to mean completely free of permanent chemical processes, including color.
  • CallmeSbo
    CallmeSbo Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    I have dreadlocks-wash them 3/4 times a week. I let them dry naturally-problem solved.
  • LadyBeryl
    LadyBeryl Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    Yep

Natural (braids) 1994-1999 and locs since 1999 and since I've only had a few trims, they are pretty long. I just make a high ponytail and/or bun when I work out.

I'm Beryl on Nappturality.
  • indigochilds
    indigochilds Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Keeping your hair in protective styles is a wonderful idea. Right now my hair is in weave until the weather gets warm. Usually I keep my hair in twists and sometimes I pull it back to a bun to protect the ends. And wash my hair from 1-2 weeks. making sure pre-poo treatment before washing.

Good Luck on your journey.
  • MuffRuff
    MuffRuff Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    I am natural, my last relaxer was back in April of 2011, and I big chopped in August of 2011. At first my hair was so short that I had to wear headbands and accessories everyday. However, now my hair has some length, and I can do more with it, and I do not have to wear so many accessories anymore, although I still so at times.
  • JanieJack
    JanieJack Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    I am "natural" (no weave, no perm) but I have that curly kind of hair that looks like a jerry curl when you put gel in it. Curly, it draws up to just below my ears. Straightened out, which takes about 2 hours total, it sits at my shoulders.

I love my hair straight, but it's so much work and frizzes right out after even a short, light intensity workout, that I've pretty much resigned to leaving it curly while I live in Louisiana. Some gel and some anti-frizz-balm and I'm on my way. I can't wait to try the "saveyourdo" site.

I miss living in Colorado though, because the climate was so dry that I could .run 5 miles with a hood on (due to cold) and still have swingy straight hair when I peel off all the layers. Here in LA, my hair sweats out just getting the cold weather gear ON, lol.

Anyone other than me ever skip workouts to preserve the 'do??? Lol!!
  • ehunte
    ehunte Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I've been natural for 3 yrs now. I usually wear my hair in a 2 strand-twist or pulled back in a pony tail. Hope you find your solution..
  • LadyBeryl
    LadyBeryl Posts: 344 Member
    Options

I miss living in Colorado though, because the climate was so dry that I could .run 5 miles with a hood on (due to cold) and still have swingy straight hair when I peel off all the layers.

That is one of the advantages we have here in CO. I can wash my locs in the evening and they are nearly dry by the time I go to bed and fully dry in the AM.
  • Ocarina
    Ocarina Posts: 1,550 Member
    Options
    You girls are all so lucky to have so much versatility with your hair. I love the styles... they are all so beautiful. :smile:

I actually had one friend that was as Caucasian as could be but for some reason she had hair of someone with African descent. It was so interesting because it was from a off shoot great grandmother and she happened to get the gene. She never did anything cool with her hair since she felt like it wasn't appropriate looking for herself. Which was fine! I really love the hair styles you girls can do though... so awesome!

Sorry just had to give my 5 cents. :happy:
  • Shondatingting
    Options
    I've been natural for a year now, and I mainly wear my hair in braid outs or twist outs since they're easy to do & pretty low maintenance. I will pull it in a puff too from time to time. I have also heard that blow drying on a cool setting like someone else suggested really helps to extend the life of straightened hair after working out.
  • iSpeakLife
    iSpeakLife Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    THANKS EVERYONE!!! THIS REALLY HELPED, I'M GONNA TRY SOME THINGS NOW.

THE ENDS OF MY HAIR NEVER CURL, I MAY JUST HAVE TO CUT THEM OFF. I HAVEN'T HAD A PERM IN ALMOST TWO YEARS BUT I BELIEVE IT'S ALL GROWN OUT. I NEVER BC'D BUT I DID GET IT TRIMMED A FEW TIMES

I WOULD LOVE TO ROCK THE PUFF, BUT IT NEVER LOOKS RIGHT, AND MY EDGES ON THE LEFT SIDE SIDE ARE THIN (DUE TO MICROS FROM 2 YEAS AGO AND A BAD PERM) SO I NEVER LIKE TO PULL MY HAIR ALL THE WAY BACK....
  • kar2083
    kar2083 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    My last relaxer was over a year ago and I bc'd in october, but it wasn't really a bc because most of my hair had grown out. Anyway I normally do my workouts after work or in the evenings so my hair is normally in a twist out. Since I don't have a lot of length I just leave it in that and do my hair when I get home (normally back into twists).
  • fit4lka
    Options
    Greetings Everyone,

I wear a full sewn on hair piece. My problem is my hair underneath smells sweaty because of sweating during my cardio workouts. I do not have the time or skills to take it down every week to wash the hair underneath. Plus, I can not wash the hair piece because of the way it is made with the paper-like lining. I am looking for suggestions for this dilemma. I have considered going natural, but I do not have the talent to care for hair. The other reason I wear the hair piece is because my hair breaks off in the back whenever I do not wear a weave. I am open for suggestions on this issue too.
  • karie_richardson
    Options
    Hi!! I'm not a black woman, but I have been blessed with curly hair. White or black natural curly hair is awesome and has basically the same needs. Over the past year I have slowly done away with shampoo (I only use a natural simple conditioner). I have also stopped using many many different hair products (for frizz) and stopped washing my hair every day sweat or no. Much of my hair was damaged beyond help and I have had to slowly cut off the damaged inches to make way for the newer stronger healthy hair. I have fought with my frizzy curls since I was a kid and love being a natural curly now. Anyway I just wanted to let you guys uh girls know about a website that is basically all about being a natural curly. There are lots of tips for all types of natural curlys. The website is : http://www.naturallycurly.com/
  • Cook54ie
    Options
    i have let my perm grow out. I wear my hair in Nubian twist style. works well for workouts. I take them down for 2 weeks, condition well and re twist. You can also wash them. I was wearing 3/4 wigs but my hair was thinning. Good luck,
  • iSpeakLife
    iSpeakLife Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Greetings Everyone,

I wear a full sewn on hair piece. My problem is my hair underneath smells sweaty because of sweating during my cardio workouts. I do not have the time or skills to take it down every week to wash the hair underneath. Plus, I can not wash the hair piece because of the way it is made with the paper-like lining. I am looking for suggestions for this dilemma. I have considered going natural, but I do not have the talent to care for hair. The other reason I wear the hair piece is because my hair breaks off in the back whenever I do not wear a weave. I am open for suggestions on this issue too.

Hi! I suggest you get on youtube and look at people like thomasadrianna or transitioning tutorials. Everything is on youtube. I do my own quick weaves with cheap hair and it still looks cute (usually a bob or even 14" when I'm feeling up to it). But, I just wash and braid my hair - using a leave in conditioner. I place a nylon cap over my cornrows, and glue the tracks in. I leave it in for two weeks at the most and am able to take it out and treat my own hair then braid it back up again.

With your hair breaking off, you just need a protective style, and quick weaves serve as one. You just need to be sure to use a lot of oil when removing the weave so it slides right out. There's african oil at walmart for about $2.00 that I use and it works great.

Hope this helps!