• bnice2every1
    Options
    Mmm... Bump!
  • Inchoately
    Inchoately Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    One of my favorite quinoa recipes:
    http://www.wholefoodsmarket.com/recipes/611

It's quinoa chicken salad. It has the grapes and almonds like a chicken salad would have, but with no mayo. It's GF/CF and a little high in calories (350), but filling and high in protein.
  • naomi8888
    naomi8888 Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    Yum! Bump
  • RoosterNZ
    RoosterNZ Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • Gracestar12
    Gracestar12 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    bump
  • crimsoncat
    crimsoncat Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    For the record, I tried the quinoa and cheese recipe posted in the first post and it's REALLY good. Many thanks to the op for this because it's super tasty. I did a few substitutions and added some spices. Here was what I changed:

-Switched bell pepper for 2 medium carrots (shredded)
    -Switched soy milk for skim milk
    -No bacon (I don't care for it)
    -No sour cream
    -Sharp cheddar cheese (Kroger brand)
    -Added the following spices for flavor: Paprika, chili powder, white pepper, curry powder, cumin, poultry seasoning, celery salt

Though I should report that mine came back with 290 cal per serving (serves 8). I still can't figure out how, especially without the bacon, mine came back with more calories. Either way, totally worth it.
  • hawkeygal
    hawkeygal Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    you can find it near the grains at the grocery store. I buy mine at trader joe's and whole foods. My parent's buy theirs at Jewel/Dominicks.
  • hawkeygal
    hawkeygal Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    awww, hope you all like it as much as I do! :-)
  • dippystick
    dippystick Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Gotta save these
  • MummaSue
    MummaSue Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    Bump - sounds fab don't want to lose these recipes!
  • Brandilynnrose
    Options
    Yum...Bump
  • yuckidah
    yuckidah Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    I love Quinoa too but was......disappointed (I guess that's the word).....to discover it is higher in cals than rice & about equal to pasta (cup for cup)
    Better for you of course so still preferable, but such a shame that it's as high as it is.
  • mrsweigl
    mrsweigl Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    I have been using barley instead of pasta lately is that close?
  • WolffRN
    Options
    thanks for sharing!!! Just made my first Quinoa dish last night!
  • KeriA
    KeriA Posts: 3,275 Member
    Options
    This recipe reminds me of one I have basically invented for myself. Half my family says it hates Quinoa and the other my son and I love it. So I decided to give it the best chance of success with the naysayers. I took a family favorite Mac and Cheese and substituted in Quinoa and added veggies. They loved it. The next time around the dish I made got closer to yours. I made it a bit healthier. I used part skim ricotta and part skim mozzarella for the cheese. By the way I make a custard based not white sauce based mac and cheese which means no flour needed so it is even lower in calories. Otherwise pretty much the same. I can vary the veggies as to what is on hand. I only use one egg though. So I think you are sharing a great recipe. Thanks.
  • iqnas
    iqnas Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    bump
  • SuzieZimm
    SuzieZimm Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    bump!
  • kammy92
    kammy92 Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    Bump!!!!