Trainer won't let me work on my abs yet :(

Options
13»

Replies

• Mommy_Sans_The_Fat
    Options
    Yeah had he just explained the reasons I would have understood. I'm not trying to get a six pack. I just want my stomach to go down. Nothing's working and I'm depressed now.

There's no point in trying to attack abs from every single angle when you're overweight/obese. The abs main function is to support your back, and they are worked with all the compound lifts usually. Some basic planks or crunches may help, but you don't need a lot of volume. Also, I'm typing this with the assumption that you know you cannot spot reduce fat. It doesn't matter that you do 200000000 crunches. Your belly isn't going anywhere until you drop overall bodyfat.

EDIT: Misread what you said. Yeah, that's a problem if he didn't explain. What kind of routine is he having you do anyways?

He wasn't specific on what cardio to do. He just said do a ten minute warm-up before arm weights. Afterwards I do thirty minutes cardio. I see other newbies doing core strengthening and of course I just thought he was being pompous.
  • pg1girl
    pg1girl Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    Its better to cut the fat first, Ive cut mine down to about 13%, been working on the abs for 2 months and I still can't see anything, the fat needs to be down to atleast 10% before you will see any abs coming through so all the cardio will pay off and in no time you will get them abs through

These numbers are not correct for everyone, especially women! I had a six-pack all summer with 12-14% BF.

Well that is very interesting because I am at about 24 percent body fat and my profile pic shows my abs. Obviously those numbers are not correct.

wow, where did those original numbers come from? I think I was at 18% (could have been a little less, but not much) with great abs in November....

Some guy earlier on.. And I've notice other mininum BF% get thrown around in here for seeing abs that simply aren't true! Like You said, it's different for everyone! I hold all my weight in the middle so I need to be leaner, you (obviously) did not :) and Looked amzing! Seeing the abs requies that one have a low BF and strong ab muscles and good genetics, but there is no magical BF number that one must hit ... that's just silly!
  • Mommy_Sans_The_Fat
    Options
    So what's wrong with doing a total body workout? I spend a good two to three hours in the gym each time and most of it is doing cardio because the weights only take about thirty minutes to complete. I appreciate the feedback :)
  • thefuzz1290
    thefuzz1290 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    I spend a good two to three hours in the gym each time and most of it is doing cardio because the weights only take about thirty minutes to complete.

^^^^^^^
    That is why you're probably not seeing results, you're spending too much time in the gym. Also, your weight training routine shouldn't take only 30 minutes, even if its circuit training (which is basically more cardio). Unless you're a body builder doing 2 a day workouts, there's no reason to spend 3 hours in the gym.

If you want results, my suggestion is divide your time like this:

2/3 your time heavy strength training focusing on compound lifts
    1/3 your time doing a moderate level of cardio
  • MrsSherrill
    Options
    everyone is right so far. another little thing i have been told is if you want to workout your mid-section, do everything but that. Do everything besides ab workouts for many and the same reasons everyone has already said. until all the fat in the mid section is gone there is no point in working so hard to get abs. working on other areas like arms, legs and basic cardio will do wonders on the stomach. just stick with it =)
  • Lozze
    Lozze Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    Thing is while working your arms and legs you can work your abs too. Bring your stomach back to your belly button as much as you can while doing these exercises (i.e. suck your belly in!)

Everyone else is right though. You won't reduce your stomach by doing ab work. You'll reduce it by lowering your body fat. I've lost a lot of weight from my stomach area but have done almost no ab specific exercises since I started. None.
  • Nicola0000
    Nicola0000 Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    Until you cut the majority of the fat around your abdominal area, there really isn't any point in doing specific ab training. There are tons of workouts you can do that can develop your abs without you doing any ab-specific workout at all. Things like tricep-pushdowns, squats, dumbbell rows...anything that requires that you brace your body is basically going to engage your abs. Listen to your trainer. Stick with it. He knows what he is talking about and is only trying to help you. I hope this helped!

Agree. Everyone has "abs", its just hidden under fat. He's doing you a favor as you'll do loads of ab exercises, your stomach wont shrink, then you'll be demotivated.
  • KristalDawnO
    KristalDawnO Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I really think it's a good idea to build your core while you're losing weight. You won't have the 'skin' like you would have otherwise. Even though you may not be able to see definition for a while, you'll be a lot tighter. Do planks, or crunches on your own. If he has you squatting and doing other weight training exercises, you'll be engaging your core. Try to be patient :)
  • Mommy_Sans_The_Fat
    Options
    I wish I could show you what he has me doing. I have been doing the same routine with the same weights for three weeks now. My clothes are starting to feel tight again and the scale went up five whole pounds . I think I will try a different trainer. Thanks everyone.
  • tyfferz
    tyfferz Posts: 4
    Options
    I'm most likely repeating what everyone shared. Don't only be focused on your abs-be focused on your overall health and body. In August 2011, I joined a boot camp because I was overweight and found out that I was 217 when my trainer first weighed / measured me. My overall goal was to get healthy by watching what I eat as well as implementing exercise in my daily life style. I am 5'4 and I looked pregnant with huge arms.

However, as of today...even though I have some belly...I have lost over 22 lbs as well as inches in my arms, legs, abs BUT I still have some ways to go. I'm currently doing TRX under her training to not only get toned but to work on my core. I've also started running 3-4 miles every other day.

Another thing that you have to consider is your eating habits (i.e., the type of foods you eat) and how often do you eat.

Trust your trainer. He may have said it in a manner that was wrong but I do believe he is correct in what he is trying to relay to you. Discuss this also with management and if you are still unsatisfied with his communication skills...you may want to look into another trainer. But, keep this in mind...don't expect the workout to be how you want it or when you want it--go according to the workout plan that a trainer is suggesting because this is what they are licensed / trained for.

Exercising and being healthy is not temporary, it is a permanent lifestyle. Good luck