Training for a 5K

Options
HI everyone!!

I am excited to start 5k training next week. I am in no way, shape, or form a runner though and it makes me a little nervous. Now that I think I have got my knee pain under control, I am going to give this a go. What are your thoughts on this training? I know I plan to do the training every other day of the week (mon, wed, friday) and continue my normal exercise routine on other days.

Food: I have to eat before I workout, I normally have something at least 30-60 minutes prior to all my workouts., I have tried not having anything before workouts, but I end up shaky, feeling miserable and nearly passing out. What foods should I try to avoid before running?

Any comments, suggestions or motivation is appreciated!!

Thank you!!!

Replies

• David1178
    Options
    Hi niknak, I was in the process of the Couch to 5k program but I hurt my knee after Week 3 Day 1 routine. I am bummed out because it made me feel great after each run.

If you have an iTouch or iPhone, I have a suggestion to get the app called "Get Running". It greatly helped me out.

I am letting me knee heal and starting week 3 over on Monday. Hopefully I can get through it.

Good luck.
  • mhankosk
    mhankosk Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    Hi niknak, I was in the process of the Couch to 5k program but I hurt my knee after Week 3 Day 1 routine. I am bummed out because it made me feel great after each run.

If you have an iTouch or iPhone, I have a suggestion to get the app called "Get Running". It greatly helped me out.

I am letting me knee heal and starting week 3 over on Monday. Hopefully I can get through it.

Good luck.

All of what he said! I am doing the C25K and I have "get running" its amazing. :)
  • catherinergrunden
    catherinergrunden Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I was nervous when I started C25K last year. I cried on the first day because I couldn't even finish three of the eight one-minute runs. But I kept going. I had to repeat some weeks because I couldn't finish them. Fast forward: I finished, ran my first race, and now I'm addicted to running! I'm hoping to find a 10K to do this spring.

Oh, and I lost 100 pounds in the process :) Bonus.

Tips: Don't worry about speed. I was nowhere near 5K in 30 minutes by the time I finished the program. I think 5K took me something like 45 minutes the first time. Just follow the program and trust it! Slow your pace if you can't run the entire time it suggests. And do not freak out when you get to your first long run--you can do it! That was the second time I cried: when I ran 20 minutes for the first time :)
  • mhankosk
    mhankosk Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    I was nervous when I started C25K last year. I cried on the first day because I couldn't even finish three of the eight one-minute runs. But I kept going. I had to repeat some weeks because I couldn't finish them. Fast forward: I finished, ran my first race, and now I'm addicted to running! I'm hoping to find a 10K to do this spring.

Tips: Don't worry about speed. I was nowhere near 5K in 30 minutes by the time I finished the program. I think 5K took me something like 45 minutes the first time. Just follow the program and trust it! Slow your pace if you can't run the entire time it suggests. And do not freak out when you get to your first long run--you can do it! That was the second time I cried: when I ran 20 minutes for the first time :)

It truly is an amazing feeling to get over those mental barriers. I was SOOOOO nervous when I got to the 20 minute run. But after I finished it, I felt amazing! It's amazing what your body is capable if you just let it do its thing. And I agree, you shouldn't be concerned about speed at first. Just keep running. Even if it feels like you are going nowhere, just keep going! :)
  • Zalitharia
    Zalitharia Posts: 34 Member
    Options

It truly is an amazing feeling to get over those mental barriers. I was SOOOOO nervous when I got to the 20 minute run. But after I finished it, I felt amazing! It's amazing what your body is capable if you just let it do its thing. And I agree, you shouldn't be concerned about speed at first. Just keep running. Even if it feels like you are going nowhere, just keep going! :)

I just got to that 20 min run 4 days ago!! I was nervous about it too, but I lucked out with a good running buddy to push me through the tough parts. I was even more nervous to go when I looked out the window and saw the blizzard! But we went anyway. No excuses. We did the second 20 min run 2 days later and it was much easier (in running shoes instead of hiking boots). Tonight is 25 min!

Just keep at it. Do your best, keep coming back for more!
  • morgansmom02
    morgansmom02 Posts: 1,139 Member
    Options
    I just started the Couch 2 5K yesterday. I am not a runner, but I was able to do day 1! Excited to do it again! I would suggest that is where you start
  • morgansmom02
    morgansmom02 Posts: 1,139 Member
    Options

Good luck.

All of what he said! I am doing the C25K and I have "get running" its amazing. :)

I have a Droid and it is called the same thing. It is great!
  • scapez
    scapez Posts: 2,018 Member
    Options
    Another vote for Couch to 5K (I think it's known as Ease Into 5k now)...it took me from being a non-runner to...well, I just did my 4th 5k last Saturday.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    I'll caution you about continuing to do your "regular exercise routine" on the days you don't run. Be sure you are not doing anything high impact on your days off from running. Your knees, ankles and the muscles used to push you up and down need recovery time especially while you are just starting out. If you continue to do high impact activities on a daily basis you'll end up in pain or even injuring yourself. Low impact activities like bicycling, walking, and swimming are fine on the days between running.
  • jelybean43
    jelybean43 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I'm not a runner either - but I've been using the Couch to 5K app as well. I'm in the middle of week 4 - my hardest yet. The 5 minute runs are really hard for me and I'm nervous about what's ahead. But I'm keeping the pace slow and pushing through it. I hope to be able to run my first 5K this spring with a goal time of around 45 minutes. Good luck to you!
  • loseweightjames
    Options

Good luck.

Ditto. I did the couch to 5k thing using an app that's now called "Ease into 5k". Finished my first real 5k race in October.

Did you know someone trademarked the term Couch to 5k in December? Now no one else can use it. I just found out when I saw that my app had changed it's name from Couch to 5k to Ease into 5k. That really sucks, the term "Couch to 5k" has been around for at least 10 years.
  • fittertanme
    fittertanme Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    well I have been trainning for 3 weeks most of it on the treadmill and a few short outside runs I have on my phone an app called sportstracker and it logs everthink and have an heart rate monitor to see how my heart os doing and saturday I do my fist real 5k run starting at 9am and hope to complete in about an hour but looking forward to it just hope the weather is good as well
    you you want to try 5k running have a look at a web site called parkrun they do runs all over the world so they are sure one is near to you give it a go what have you got to lose
  • tfrancoeur
    Options
    I have been thinking about doing this lately and then saw this post! I will be turning 40 next year and can think of nothing better than accomplishing something that has been on my bucket list for many years! I am interested in hearing more from everyone :) At this point I am fairly sure I could not run a block without dropping dead at the end of it, but today i think i will test it, and try the couch to 5 K!
  • rob_v
    rob_v Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    C25K is great - but make sure that you take your runs outside. Running on the treadmill is great to build up cardio, but it is NOTHING like running on the ground. You will notice that you can run alot easier on the treadmill.
  • flabulous4
    flabulous4 Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    What are your thoughts on this training?
    What foods should I try to avoid before running?

What everyone else said! I used Get Running and it is great. I started in June and just about got to the end of the 8 1-minute runs. I graduated in September and started running a 5K parkrun every Saturday (best 5K to date is just over 26 minutes). After finishing C25K I decided to do Bridge to 10K (there's an app which you can get for that, it's a 6-week programme) and graduated mid-November. My first 10K race is on Sunday week and I can't wait! I've gone from being a committed non-exerciser of 38 to a runner (admittedly not a very fast one!). It is one of the best things I have ever done - I've lost weight, I've lost inches off my stomach, I've dropped 2 dress sizes and even my arms have more muscle from running.

Re: foods, I usually have something like a small piece of toast or a banana quite a while before I run - I've run on an empty stomach before and prefer doing that to having too much to eat beforehand. I ran a bit soon after quite a large meal the other day and wanted a bathroom break for 4 miles :sick:

And I completely agree with rob_v about the treadmill - it just isn't the same. I found when I started that I could run about 20 minutes on the treadmill - and 2 minutes outside. But being outside is so much more interesting, I hate watching myself sweat in the mirror, and I find running outside easier than the treadmill. Plus you may find that you want to race or join a running club, and that will definitely be outside!

Good luck and I hope you enjoy it as much as I have!
  • niknak0508
    niknak0508 Posts: 430 Member
    Options

Good luck.

I have a Droid and it is called the same thing. It is great!

I have a Droid 3 and cannot find that app :-( the one I found is c25k lite........
  • niknak0508
    Options
    What are your thoughts on this training?
    What foods should I try to avoid before running?

What everyone else said! I used Get Running and it is great. I started in June and just about got to the end of the 8 1-minute runs. I graduated in September and started running a 5K parkrun every Saturday (best 5K to date is just over 26 minutes). After finishing C25K I decided to do Bridge to 10K (there's an app which you can get for that, it's a 6-week programme) and graduated mid-November. My first 10K race is on Sunday week and I can't wait! I've gone from being a committed non-exerciser of 38 to a runner (admittedly not a very fast one!). It is one of the best things I have ever done - I've lost weight, I've lost inches off my stomach, I've dropped 2 dress sizes and even my arms have more muscle from running.

Re: foods, I usually have something like a small piece of toast or a banana quite a while before I run - I've run on an empty stomach before and prefer doing that to having too much to eat beforehand. I ran a bit soon after quite a large meal the other day and wanted a bathroom break for 4 miles :sick:

And I completely agree with rob_v about the treadmill - it just isn't the same. I found when I started that I could run about 20 minutes on the treadmill - and 2 minutes outside. But being outside is so much more interesting, I hate watching myself sweat in the mirror, and I find running outside easier than the treadmill. Plus you may find that you want to race or join a running club, and that will definitely be outside!

Good luck and I hope you enjoy it as much as I have!

I am definitely going to do training outside, once the weather gets better here. I am not sure I can deal with the cold while running (i've tried before and my chest kills me from breathing the cold air) but once spring hits, ill definitely be doing that!
  • Fit_Canuck
    Fit_Canuck Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    I love my C25K app ( It's called Run5K now ) on my iPhone. I just finished Week 4 Day 2 and it felt awesome!!!
  • niknak0508
    Options
    I'll caution you about continuing to do your "regular exercise routine" on the days you don't run. Be sure you are not doing anything high impact on your days off from running. Your knees, ankles and the muscles used to push you up and down need recovery time especially while you are just starting out. If you continue to do high impact activities on a daily basis you'll end up in pain or even injuring yourself. Low impact activities like bicycling, walking, and swimming are fine on the days between running.

Thanks!! I will keep that in mind. I guess the ARC trainer and elliptical are out of the question! LOL. I have a bike I ride during the summer, so I will do some stationary biking at the gym until spring gets here. :-) Thanks for the heads up!
  • niknak0508
    Options
    Wow, thanks guys for all of your suggestions!! I am downloading the Ease into 5K as we speak. It's the only one I could find that matched any of yours! You guys are amazing for showing support.....I am looking forward to starting on Monday!