Training for a 5K

Options
2»

Replies

• SassyCalyGirl
    SassyCalyGirl Posts: 1,932 Member
    Options
    good luck to you-I am running my first half marathon in June. Been running 6 miles a day and today was my best time yet 9.75mm- you can do this. I remember when I first started running- 2 minutes on the treadmill and I was going to die!

stick with it-you will learn to love it!
  • czmmom
    czmmom Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    I also highly recommend the ease into 5k app. I was a total non runner when I started a year ago. I started on my treadmill and almost finished the training before I ran outside. Treadmill running and running outside are two different things :-) I had to go back to week 6 when I started running outside. I am running a 15k this summer. You will learn to love running!! I usually average about a 10-10:30 minute mile.
  • sonyachan
    sonyachan Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    You can do it! I never ever thought I'd be running 5 miles at a time....and it's all thanks to C25K! As far as eating before, I also have to have something. A smoothie or a bowl of oatmeal or yogurt or banana. Something light on the stomach with substantial calories. FYI, there is a C25K group on MFP that you can join for support.
  • DiannaMoorer
    DiannaMoorer Posts: 783 Member
    Options
    I love couch to 5k! It's the best. Also watch your stride. Make sure your do not have heel strike. A mid foot to ball strike is best. You could injure your knees hurt your back, get chin splints. My chin splints are going away after I changed my foot strike.
  • kubes71
    Options
    Also...get good running shoes or you could end up injuring yourself. Go to a running store and have them evaluate you.
  • Talulahj
    Talulahj Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I also got a C25K app for my Android phone and love how easy it is to use. It tracks the time for you. I highly recommend something like it.

I am also signed up for a clinic given by a local running store to go over proper stride and they do an evaluation and fitting for proper shoes.

I am easing into it as well and want to ensure I prevent injury so I do not hit any road blocks along the way. Best of luck to you!
  • jkb7389
    Options
    On an Android phone, who makes the C25K app? Is it by Run Double? I think it's a free two week trial and then you have to pay $1.60 for it. There's also one called Ease into 5k by BlueFin, but you have to pay $2.99 to download it. Any help would be great!
  • Fit_Canuck
    Fit_Canuck Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    I know that C25K ( Now call Run5K ) is by Felt Tip Inc which only makes apps for Apple based products. I'm sure there must be an Android equivalent but I don't have the Android phone :( so I can't check their app store.
  • flabulous4
    flabulous4 Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    There's also one called Ease into 5k by BlueFin, but you have to pay $2.99 to download it. Any help would be great!

I don't have the Ease into 5K but I did get the BlueFin Bridge to 10K app which I liked. The voiceover is a bit more minimal than the Get Running 5K app but to be fair there aren't as many intervals. It also has an upgrade to include GPS for about 63p (about a dollar?), which is excellent because you then get a map of where you ran and pace per mile and average pace, and each run is logged in a journal where you can also log how you felt that day, terrain, weather etc. Now I don't know if you get all this with Ease into 5K, but if it's the same quality as the 10K app it's well worth the money.
  • Meggles63
    Meggles63 Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    On an Android phone, who makes the C25K app? Is it by Run Double? I think it's a free two week trial and then you have to pay $1.60 for it. There's also one called Ease into 5k by BlueFin, but you have to pay $2.99 to download it. Any help would be great!
    ^^^ This.. I have the Run Double and love it. Upgraded after the second week. It gives you lots of options and I love the computer lady who gives me my stats. I run a "workout" station on Pandora in the background and it's heaven!
  • Fit_Canuck
    Fit_Canuck Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    Now if you want to run outside and have GPS capabilities look at either Endomondo or RunKeeper , I do believe they exist on Android.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    Now if you want to run outside and have GPS capabilities look at either Endomondo or RunKeeper , I do believe they exist on Android.
    They do. I use Cardio Trainer on my Android phone but I have Endomondo Pro (I got it for 10 cents during a sale), too. One of these days I'm actually going to use it but I really like the way Cardio Trainer works so have yet to put it to the test.
  • niknak0508
    niknak0508 Posts: 430 Member
    Options

I am using the East Into 5K app. I started today and already love it!!
  • niknak0508
    niknak0508 Posts: 430 Member
    Options

The APP I am using has an additional feature for GPS, I did download it.
  • tfrancoeur
    Options
    I have just started but have been using 5K Runner which is a free app that I use for my itouch. I can listen to my music and then when it is time to switch back to running from the walk, the music goes quiet and i hear a ding, and a voice telling me what to do. I love it! I couldn't imagine doing the program without it!
  • alliesun53
    alliesun53 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Just finished week 3 day 1 today. The last 3 mins run I was dying...I think I have a wrong stride. I'm doing it on the track now instead of the treadmill. I've found that I actually go FURTHER on the track then the treadmill was calculating for me.

The app I use is called C25K Free by Zen labs. It's amazing. It chimes and tells you when to run and walk and you can play your own music (even pandora) while using it.