Why you need a food scale

Options

Replies

• NavyWifeTwinMom
    NavyWifeTwinMom Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Just started this at the new year.... a real eye opener! Especially for my meat portions! I weigh everything now! Totally works with my OCD ;)
  • Di3012
    Di3012 Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options
    yip...i weigh my food too! it's so easy to under-estimate, especially with cheeses, sauces, cakes and nuts, etc...
    my 14yo son thinks im "stupid", "crazy", "obsessed" and "weird" doing this...to the point where i have to justify (argue) to him why! he thinks i dont eat much, but the truth is the type of food (high calorie) i choose to eat thats the reason i need to keep track

Some of those foods are horrendous if underestimated too aren't they. Cheese is the one that always gets me, slightly over and it isn't just 10 or 12 calories out, it can be 100 or so. Nuts too actually, they are high in calories.

No, you are right to weigh imo. LOL tell your son he is crazy NOT to weigh, see how he likes it :D
  • tameko2
    tameko2 Posts: 31,634 Member
    Options
    I'm actually a pretty good estimator (not as accurate as a scale obviously) but I measure a lot of things at least 1 time to give myself a clear visual reference.

I also always measure out pure fat or high fat things since the calories are so much higher for a few extra grams.
  • eschwab855
    eschwab855 Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    Love mine it has a zero button so I put my plate on zero it and add food and zero it for each thing i add
  • Tmrice721
    Tmrice721 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I weigh EVERYTHING!! To the point my husband thinks I'm losing it :tongue:

:laugh: :laugh: my husband thinks I'm off my rocker too!!! I love my food scale I use all the time and it really helps because my eyeballing was way off!!!!
  • engineman312
    engineman312 Posts: 3,450 Member
    Options
    Does a food sacel really help? I have never thought of using one....... I just kind of guess at what I am eating? Maybe that is why I am not losing a lot of weight?

a food scale is probably the best tool to have to help you lose weight. i still measure everything.
  • CoryIda
    CoryIda Posts: 7,887 Member
    Options
    I'm in the minority here, but I was successful without a food scale. I used measuring cups and spoons a lot at first, but I got pretty good at "eyeballing" portions and guesstimating stuff like that.

It does make things a lot easier for most people, though.
  • amdahwd
    amdahwd Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    So after reading this thread I decided that yes, I did need some digital scales and I went out and bought a set. I came home and picked up an apple that I had been counting as a medium apple. That would be 100 g and 75 calories. After measuring it on the scales, it is actually 189 g and that would make it 142 calories. I would have miscounted my calories on just that one apple by 67 calories! How many times in a week would that happen?
  • Di3012
    Options
    So after reading this thread I decided that yes, I did need some digital scales and I went out and bought a set. I came home and picked up an apple that I had been counting as a medium apple. That would be 100 g and 75 calories. After measuring it on the scales, it is actually 189 g and that would make it 142 calories. I would have miscounted my calories on just that one apple by 67 calories! How many times in a week would that happen?

Wow, imagine if that was happening multiple times per day...... just goes to show.

You know, this not weighing foods could be a major factor into why many people do not lose the weight they are after...
  • Di3012
    Options
    LOL I really doubt the "average" person overscoops like that and expects it to be accurate. But I do get the point. I have a food scale. I find it especially useful for nuts, cheese, and meat.

Well that is the curious factor in this whole thing, because that overscoop wasn't actually by very much at all, in fact, it was only slightly over and unless really looking closely it virtually looks level with the top of the spoon and yet it was far from accurate.

The OP's done a good thing here with that link :flowerforyou:
  • Virginia90
    Virginia90 Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    I use a postal scale because it's what I already had. LOL. It's definitely accurate and it only cost me $20!
  • HiKaren
    HiKaren Posts: 1,306 Member
    Options
    When I cut my cheese... Haaaah.
    I double check it on the food scale.. I want to make sure its a ounce. :) I have a thing for Tablespoons. I get a tablespoon of coffee creamer in the morning...

I think they are really important. :)
  • froeschli
    froeschli Posts: 1,292 Member
    Options
    Lol that's when an 8 ounce steak turns into 11... (could read the label on that one though)
    I like my food scale because it makes you think how much before eating it.
    Certain things i know dead on though - I have small dishes that are just the size for 100g yogurt or cottage cheese for example.
  • shana_phoenix83
    shana_phoenix83 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    This really got me thinking. I'm definitely going to use my food scale more often now.
  • snkoyle15
    Options
    saving so i can watch the vid later
  • sammielealea
    sammielealea Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Can't wait to watch later!
  • momuv3princesses
    momuv3princesses Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I LOVE my food scale too!! It is sooo helpful in knowing how much a serving truly is. I measure everything in grams according to the pkg. Somethings I find I could eat more than what I would have thought. Somethings it is less.

I highly recommend one to EVERYONE who is trying to track how much they eat!!
  • deedog007
    deedog007 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I love it.. i Just pulled out my scale again.. and realize this was my problem to not losing weight in a significant amount of time.

thanks for the video and advice!!!

MFP has been great and the information i get here is very educational..

see u guys on the light side.
  • mfp_1
    mfp_1 Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    Thanks Carrieogg, for posting the video. It's an excellent demonstration.

I wouldn't be without a food scale. It's good for accurate recipes in addition to calorie counting. I definitely recommend you get one that does grams too.

I frequently use the tare or 'add and weigh' function to build up a recipe with the bowl sitting on the scale. Very useful!

Here are my tips for choosing good scales:

* Digital.
    Make sure the digits are large and clear.

* Flat top
    So you can use your own pans or bowls for maximum flexibility. I wouldn't get one with an included jug or bowl.

* Must be able to display grams.

* Precision to 1 g

* Maximum weight
    Most go to 3 kg (6.6 lb). Some go to 5 kg (11 lb). The extra capacity isn't essential, but it's very useful.

* Tare (add and weight) function.
    Essential. Most have this now.

* Batteries.
    Check that you're happy with the battery type it provides. Some have AA or AAA batteries. Some have button batteries. These are all fine but you need to be able to replace them at short notice from a local shop. Your personal devil will make them run out just when you need them most.

Don't quote me but this one at $25 looks ok:
    http://www.amazon.com/EatSmart-Precision-Digital-Kitchen-Silver/dp/B001N07KUE/ref=sr_1_1?s=kitchen&ie=UTF8&qid=1328951449&sr=1-1
  • junyr
    junyr Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    I usually find myself being too conservative with my guesswork. After weighing the food I usually get more than I would have guessed. So yay!