Weigh-loss, Diet or entire lifestyle change which are you do

Options
124»

Replies

• MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    In the past, it's always been a diet but this time around, I'm making it a lifestyle change. The difference for is that a diet is temporary and drastic like no carbs, no fat, high calorie deficit - things I finally figured out don't work in the long run. Meanwhile, a lifestyle change is learning to eat pretty much all foods in moderation and making it work for the rest of my life, not just until I lose the next 20 pounds. Every time I make a change, I think "is this something I could do for the rest of my life?". If so, I go for it, if not, I drop it. Also, it's not just about weight for me this time, it's about health and fitness and that is also for life.

I think that answers it all...
  • montana_girl
    montana_girl Posts: 1,403 Member
    Options
    I started out to just lose weight (and started with Weight Watchers, which avoids the "D" word), but somewhere along the way I realized I had to make this a lifestyle.

For me, making it a lifestyle meant that any change I made had to be one I was willing to live with for the rest of life. That meant continuing to eat my favorite foods, but in smaller portions and in some cases, only on special occasions. It meant finding alternatives I could enjoy, such as BBQ pop chips instead of BBQ potato chips (yes, I would rather have the "real" thing, but I can live with pop chips and save the potato chips for special occasions or major cravings).

Same thing applied to exercise... had to find something I enjoy (or at least could do without hating the activity the entire time). I also try new activities and exercise to keep in new and interesting. Over time I was able to come up with an exercise routine that I could live with and hopefully be able to continue for years to come.

These changes did not happen over night... took me 6 long years of gaining and losing weight, learning what did and did not work for me before I finally lost a hundred pounds.

But I'm glad I stuck with it and even though it took a long time to get there, I know it was worth it because I truly made this a lifestyle.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I realize it's just semantics, but does everyone else on this site consider a "diet" something you stop?

Anytime someone has asked if I am on a diet, I have answered yes because I think about food every day. If I didn't I have no doubt I would have been fat all my life. I like food too much to not always think about how much and what I'm eating.

I've been on a diet since jr. high school.
  • jhartram
    jhartram Posts: 165
    Options
    Is this weight loss you are seeking, is it a diet or whole new lifestyle change? If so, what's the difference to you and why do you think so (if you say lifestyle change or diet)?

If you say lifestyle change, what are you doing differently--that distinguishes this weigh loss effort from a diet?

Lastly, what is a lifestyle change to you--what's your definition of a lifestyle change and why or why isn't it important to you on your weight loss mission?

For me and my family, this is absolutely a lifestyle change. A diet is when you put up with something long enough to lose weight, and go back to your old habits. A lifestyle change is when you involve your whole family and form habits that will last a lifetime. I'm giving my kiddos license to keep me on task. We're going to start working out together, even 30DS with them using tiny weights and C25k at their pace (after standardized testing is over). My hubby and I are going to do a 5k... even though he's on forearm crutches. I'm emphasizing healthy living, healthy attitudes, healthy eating... exercise as an alternative to fighting (mostly for the kids, but works well for us grownups too!)

My definition of a lifestyle change is re-inventing yourself, not just who you are but also what drives you, what decisions you can be counted on to make. It's incredibly important to my weight-loss journey and my husband's, and in an odd way to my children's. They don't need to lose weight by a long shot... but if they get in the habit of working out at least 3 days a week and eating correctly they'll never have to worry about HAVING a weight-loss journey, or if they fall off the wagon they won't be lost as to how to climb back on.
  • tonilizzy88
    tonilizzy88 Posts: 968 Member
    Options
    for me this is a lifestyle change with weight loss attached to the change ive made.
  • sjebert
    sjebert Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    I am working on a life style change, I am trying to change how I eat, not so much what I eat and trying to figure out the reasons I binge eat, I think getting a handle on those things will make it a change that I can do for life, not just for a couple of months or something that I will easily get bored with.
  • mdsjmom98
    mdsjmom98 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    I guess mine would be a lifestyle change. I have learned that I simply cannot keep up with the boys in my family, so it means having to totally change what I've lived over the last 22 years. I imagine once we become empty nesters ( say in about 10 years??) it will be much easier to maintain the lifestyle change. So until then I guess I'll have to tough it out!!!
  • WhitneyT586
    WhitneyT586 Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    I'm in this, like many MFP members, first of all to lose weight. To do that, I know I have to exercise, eat healthy foods, proper portions, and limit my calorie intake. To do this, I have to change my lifestyle as well. I know that I can't change for only as long as it takes to lose the weight. If I do that, I will gain it back. And that is the last thing I want. I'm working too hard to go back and start over again. I've done that before and I'm tired of starting over, so I've stopped giving up. This is a change for the permanent betterment of myself.

After I lose the weight, I'm still going to watch my calories, I'll still exercise, and I'll probably still hang out on MFP some. So, for me, I guess it's all three at once.
  • CheleLynn44
    CheleLynn44 Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    Mine is a lifestyle change with weight loss. :smile:

I know for a fact that if I don't make the lifestyle changes now I will NOT keep off my weight loss and that is my ultimate goal!!

I have lost 85+ lbs in the past but both times it came back and then some!! This time I KNOW it's different because I am looking at it differently. I am not restricting, I am not stressing, I am cooking and preparing a lot more of my own meals, and with my husband and daughter on board I know I can do it!!
  • christibam
    christibam Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    I'm seeking both weight loss and a lifestyle change.

I'm no longer eating fast food or just overly disgustingly horrible things. I'm replacing things like bacon with turkey bacon, mayo with avocado (or nothing), ice cream with almond/coconut milk based 'ice cream' that I make myself, ground beef with either ground turkey or a better grade of beef, etc.

I'd say what makes a lifestyle change is going from one thing to something else that's really different. Instead of sitting on my butt watching TV at night, I do some calisthenics. Instead of stopping by McDonald's, I either go home and make something or pick a healthier place - because it tastes better. Instead of waking up and dragging *kitten* for an hour, I wake up - throw on some shoes and go for a quick run.

When people come over to my house, there is no longer much that's not healthy to snack on. I no longer set out chips and dip. I don't ever make my guests food that I wouldn't eat myself. (I used to still make crap food high in cals/sodium for them and make something healthy for me) People know that, if they want something unhealthy, they should bring it themselves when they come over now... the awesome thing is that this has only really happened once. Most people don't mind healthier alternatives to everything because it still tastes great.

A total lifestyle change, for me, is very important. If I was to only keep this up until I got to my goal weight but I still craved the same food I used to binge on and went back to sitting on my butt... I would just pile on all my weight back up to over 300lbs again. I really need to focus on creating an overall healthier lifestyle for myself because I want an overall healthier life... for the rest of my life.
  • smsinger75
    smsinger75 Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    This is definitely a lifestyle change for me. I want to get back to the way I was 10 years ago. I was fit, healthy and happy. I let myself get complacent and overweight. I got to where I was eating to eat, deal with boredom or to feel better. I have realized that food is for energy and not a best friend. I have taken up crafting again (sewing, scrapbooking, photography) to deal with boredom. I also volunteer with my daughter's Girl Scout Troop and I am my son's den leader in Cub Scouts. I am also working again finally. So I don't get bored anymore.
    I had also stopped doing any kind of exercise. That has also changed. I am working out 5-6 days a week now. And my workout buddy is my hubby. It has turned into great together time for us. We also go hiking and camping as a family now. In fact, I will be camping all weekend this coming weekend. And we will be doing alot of hiking. I have to take special training for scouts so I can take my den camping.
    I have also learned to reward my victories (scale or non-scale) with things other than food. I lost 4 inches this past week. So next weekend I will be getting a pedicure to prep for sandal season! I am in this for the long haul!
  • christibam
    christibam Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    This made me remember something. I recall making a thread a while back on here and someone said, "Please do not use the D word on here." Something about it being offensive.

Honestly, ANYTHING you eat is part of your diet. A diet isn't just when someone eats to lose weight.

Just sayin' lol
  • karrysmithy
    Options
    Hello friend,
    I follow the Food Lovers Fat Loss System. More than a diet plan, the Food Lovers Program is a daily routine to be followed, which is so simple to follow and helps in burning out the excess fat from our body. The Food Lovers Diet Plan allows to enjoy all my favorite dishes, in an orderly manner. Thus the Food Lovers Fat Loss System helps in improving my lifestyle to a better and ordered one.

http://www.foodloversfatloss.com/

Enjoy life!!!
  • Raihn
    Raihn Posts: 20
    Options
    For me it's lifestyle and mostly summed up by the way I think about food. Beyond that, my new way of eating is not just until I've lost the rest of my weight goal; it's for the rest of my life.
    I heard some one say that the word diet sounds like two words: die it. Wouldn't we rather live it?
  • Raihn
    Raihn Posts: 20
    Options
    I eliminated processed foods. Weight Lift. Am very active. I am very mindful of the foods I eat, I try to eat nutrient dense foods as much as possible.
    [/quote]

Eliminating processed foods is key in my lifestyle change AND eating, as you put it, nutrient dense foods. These two things have made it easy (I hesitate to use that word, but it's really been true for me) to loose and have a new mind set.
    I started in October and have lost almost 50 lbs.
  • Natihilator
    Natihilator Posts: 1,778 Member
    Options
    These are great questions to ask yourself along the way.

This is most definitely a lifestyle change for me, and I've discovered new things that I now consider to be an essential part of my life to be of a sound and healthy mind and body, as cliche as it sounds. The biggest of which is exercise, it is so much more to me than burning calories or weight loss.

I have tried to lose weight in the past doing gimmick diets, fad diets, fasts, Jenny Craig, and very low-calorie/low-fat diets that were high in processed foods. Now I try to eat clean but I absolutely WILL NOT restrict ANYTHING. The number one important thing for me, is a sustainable lifestyle; If it's not something I can do for life (like completely cutting out candy or ice cream or alcohol, or eating 1200 calories a day) then I have to find a way to make it work, yet still achieve my goals. That is how I define a lifestyle change. This might mean taking a bit longer to get to my goal weight, which I admit I get very impatient about at times.

But I know that as hard as this journey is to lose the weight, it will be even HARDER, and with all the odds stacked against me, to keep it off long-term, so I want to maximize my potential for succeeding to maintain my goal weight once I get there.
  • Raddichio
    Raddichio Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I, too, want this to be a lifestyle change. Four years ago I needed to lose 40 pounds. I lost 16 pounds and then suffered the loss of a child. Over the four-year period of grieving and slowly going on with life, my weight went up and down a bit, but always settled back at my 16-pound lighter weight. I have resumed actively eating less to lose weight, but I know I have to continue the same principles from now on.

One thing I'm doing to make it a lifestyle change is making sure that anything I do now to get my weight down to a healthy level and, eventually maintain it, must be something I'm willing to do for the rest of my life. For example, I'm not willing to cook different meals for myself and my child or others who might be joining me for a meal---I make the meal work for all of us. I may eat less of some items than others do, but we still eat basically the same thing. I'm also not willing to give up my once-a-week meal at a restaurant with friends/family. And I refuse to eat a salad---unless I really want a salad---while others are having a meal. I intend to enjoy that meal, but not overindulge. I eat more conservatively through the week so I will have a few extra calories to "spend" on my meal at the restaurant. I often only eat half of the meal, but I'm satisfied with that amount.