WHAT DO YOU THINK???? HONESTLY

Options
I have a question to ask each of you. Right now i am currently on a 100 carbs "diet", no pork no beef and no sausage of any type. Im in this to lose weight but im concerned that once i get off this "diet" i will gain the weight back. I want to eat in moderation but my trainer said im not at the point yet to eat what i want. What do you guys think? However i eat now, i wanna be able to keep it up but i dont think i will. i need more variety!

Replies

• JoolieW68
    JoolieW68 Posts: 1,879 Member
    Options
    My opinion is that it's not healthy, either physically or mentally, to completely remove any food from your diet. Eating smart and in moderation is the way to go. Exactly what I've done to accomplish what I have accomplished.
  • japruzze
    japruzze Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    Sounds a bit odd. Set your calorie limit and your macros (carbs/fat/protien - I use 30/35/35) and eat a balanced diet of reasonable items. If you can't live with it you won't stick to it.
  • JHawkins7
    Options
    I agree... I've tried all the fab diets out there low carb, no fat, liquid only.. blah blah. Each of them have worked but are not long term answers. Once I discovered calorie counting I was able to drop the weight and keep it off. I think it gives you the most variety because you can eat your favorite foods (in moderation of course) so its easy to stick to, and it's easier to maintain the weight loss with gradual calorie increases. Good luck!!!!
  • KareninCanada
    KareninCanada Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    No beef? That's really sad. I'm sorry :cry:

Personally... I get twitchy when anyone says to completely eliminate anything. I don't know that diet, although Googling it brought up websites praising 100g carb per day, so I'm assuming that's what you're doing?

Too low on carbs and I get cranky and don't have enough energy. Your body and brain do need carbs for energy and function, so make sure you're not eliminating TOO many carbs from your diet.

As for whether it's sustainable? If you're not happy, then no, it's probably not.
  • janetb21
    janetb21 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    What are you eating? Veggies and chicken and turkey and fish?
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    I'm a big fan of moderation.

Most trainers are NOT nutritionists and it seems a lot of them are full of crap about a lot of things.
  • macx2mommy
    macx2mommy Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    My thoughts are if ou are doing something you will find difficult to keep up, then you will gain he weight back. You need to learn a way that works for you for you to be able to maintain. Why do you think so many people go on those pre packaged diets, eat the food given to them, lose alt of weight and then gain it back.
  • FlyByJuly
    FlyByJuly Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    My opinion is that it's not healthy, either physically or mentally, to completely remove any food from your diet. Eating smart and in moderation is the way to go. Exactly what I've done to accomplish what I have accomplished.

I like this answer. It's exactly what I was thinking.
  • carrie_eggo
    carrie_eggo Posts: 1,396 Member
    Options
    What? No sausage? :noway:
  • rockerbabyy
    rockerbabyy Posts: 2,258 Member
    Options
    i dont think cutting anything out is necessary unless there are medical issues.
    i eat everything i want, and i lose just fine. because it is just a lifestyle change...dieting is what got me here in the first place.
    i do TRY to keep my carbs lower because i supposedly have pcos but most days i fail and it hasnt seemed to make a big difference.
  • Chagama
    Chagama Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    I agree, it sounds like something you won't be able to keep up, and ultimately, it will hurt your chances to succeed. You need to eat healthy, work on moderation and portion control, exercise, and when the pounds come off you will have developed habits you can continue.
  • KareninCanada
    KareninCanada Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    Most trainers are NOT nutritionists and it seems a lot of them are full of crap about a lot of things.

Agreed. Take your trainer who says restriction is good and limit yourself to 100g carbs, and then take ours who says your diet should be 65% carbs, 15% protein, 20% fat. Land somewhere in between them and you'll be fine. lol
  • LoreleiWalks
    LoreleiWalks Posts: 143 Member
    Options

^^^exactly this^^^
  • SafireBleu
    SafireBleu Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    I eat what I want in moderation. I try to lighten things up a bit. I don't think that diets that completely restrict a particular food is realistic or will work for me. I did a metabolic type test and set my macros to what that suggested because it made sense to me and was realistic for me. I do not eat a lot of carbs but I could never cut them out completely. I did this test from the Jillian Michaels book when I read the book and liked her recommendations http://caloriecount.about.com/forums/weight-loss/metabolic-types-eating I will admit though to eating more protein than carbs and I don't worry about it.
  • Aleyonce
    Aleyonce Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    What are you eating? Veggies and chicken and turkey and fish?

Yes ma'am!
  • kaetra
    kaetra Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    The best diet out there is The Balanced Diet.

It's also probably the easiest to live with.
  • TexNut
    TexNut Posts: 53
    Options
    Sounds like pretty much everyone agrees with moderation (and not excluding whole nutrient-types from your diet)!

Here's another scary facet of a ZERO-CARB DIET: Your body requires (roughly) 50% of its calories to come from complex carbohydrates. Your heart, brain and kidneys require carbs for fuel as well as other functions. Your kidneys suffer a lot when you eat more animal protein (as they work hard to help process it) - and especially if you take away their fuel (aka CARBS).

I had a client that went against my reco's and followed the advice of a semi-pro football player, beginning a hard-core Atkins overload with lots of bacon, beef and other animal proteins. Within two weeks she was rushed to the ER with severe kidney stones. Not saying this is typical, but rather a fast-acting example of the dangers associated with that type of diet.
  • tacticalhippie
    tacticalhippie Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    When I first started losing weight, I ate a range of 75-125 net carbs a day.

But I only left out sausage.
    I switched over to turkey sausage.
    I love me some beef.

I go with 50% protein, 30% fat and 25% complex carbs.

Works good for me.
  • Aleyonce
    Aleyonce Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    When I first started losing weight, I ate a range of 75-125 net carbs a day.

But I only left out sausage.
    I switched over to turkey sausage.
    I love me some beef.

I go with 50% protein, 30% fat and 25% complex carbs.

Works good for me.

right now im doing 100 g of carbs, about 130- 50g of protein and 40 grams of fat. I mean its just very hard because the thing i want to eat they are still healthy but sure will go over the 100 g of carb. Im gonna have a serious talk with him soon